• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Just getting started

Wolfman419

Aug 14, 2016
Going to take my test Saturday for my tec. Ticket. What would be a good starter base for 2 meter already have a 94hp for 10 meter

Starter base?
How are you planning on using it?
Repeaters only? SSB?
2 meter only or dual band?
You looking at analog only or want digital as well? Lots of folks use mobile radios for a base, if all they want is vhf/uhf...
I use an icom 910H for my base.

Lots of folks use mobile radios for a base,
How big a 12v supply do you have for the 94hp?

Not a ham so no specific radio recommendations but if you're just starting to build a shack getting a large 12v supply that can run a whole station right now is something to consider, it would open up a lot of options when shopping for equipment down the road.

I know this doesn't really answer your question, just something to think about.

Last edited:
Whatever you do don't start out with an HT, buy yourself a good dual band mobile. Put up a decent dual band antenna (not Tram/Browning crap). Look at Comet or Diamond stuff. Another good option is Arrow Antennas dual band model. If you are in a larger area with lots of repeaters then a Discone will work good, you will get lots of band coverage with 0 gain.

There are too many options to fully outline here so ask more questions.

Reactions: Road Squawker
I'd like ssb 2 meter and cw preferably preferably analog this is a picture of my grandfather mentoring students for their ham license
20160907_155626.jpg

2 meter SSB / CW can be fun if there is activity in your area. Unless you are near a metro you may not find a lot of activity unless as w9cll mentions there is a contest. To really give 2m SSB a try you will want a yagi like a Cushcraft 13b2 or an M2 2m12 up at a decent height with a rotor. Also using good coax can help.

On the radio side to buy a new 2m all mode you will be looking at some sort of HF / VHF combo. That makes for a larger initial investment. But if you upgrade to general you can have a lot of fun with the HF part. A popular used radio of this type would be an Icom 746 pro or Kenwood TS2000.

At a lot of hamfests you can find older 2m all mode rigs ranging from the really old for $125-150 with more recent for $400 to 500.

Strangebrew hit on something that is important. It is worth having a nice heavy duty 12 volt power supply. I have an Astron 35 amp that I use for HF and VHF radios.

So what bands are really active.
I'm sort of going at this by myself, the clubs where I live at I don't want to say or bad but when I went to ask questions I want to say it basically got shund because I wasn't a name in the community I've been getting a lot more help from you gentlemen in this form and clubs down in the southern part of our state.

So what bands are really active.
I'm sort of going at this by myself, the clubs where I live at I don't want to say or bad but when I went to ask questions I want to say it basically got shund because I wasn't a name in the community I've been getting a lot more help from you gentlemen in this form and clubs down in the southern part of our state.

take a look at www.gigaparts.com
see if there is a rig you like.
and no i am not affiliated with gigaparts at all.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.