• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Just got a Tektronix 465

Robb

Honorary Member Silent Key
Dec 18, 2008
Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
Just got a Tektronix 465 from a local guy I talk to. He said that he didn't know if it worked - but I could have it if I came over and picked it up. It was in his closet for years and he just wanted it out his house.

He didn't want anything for it; but I brought him an almost new Antron 99 antenna for it. The antenna he was using was crap on 10m. He put up the Antron and was much pleased. Not to mention - he got his closet space freed up.

I took it home and I am still cleaning off the dust. I already have a new reference freq counter - so learning to use a scope will be a new project of mine. Now all I need to do is get a signal generator and I can learn how to properly tune up my radios.

The scope lights up and I was playing with the wave forms from grounding it to my hand - to begin with. Messed with some of the knobs and leaned how they work. I still don't understand many of the functions or how to use them. It is a 100mhz dual-trace unit. So I should be able to learn on it - the price was right!

Just don't hook up the output of a radio directly to the scope!! You need to build an RF sampler. I showed how to make a simple one in the homebrew section. What probes did it come with?

I kinda wish I still had my O-scope so I could use it as a station monitor.

Just two standard probes. You know - just a prod with ground clips. Would like to find that homebrew project and see if I can put one together. I want to make one of the traces do 54mhz so I can tune out any 1st harmonic, and use the other one as a 27mhz comparative. That is just one function - of course.

I'm starting out on old CB's so I can tune them up right. At the same time, slowly learn about radio electronics.

How would one make a signal sampler to isolate a 54mhz parasitic?
I can't afford a spectrum analyzer -of course- so if I can make one standard sampler and one with a filter to only pick up 54mhz I can make a CB radio tune clean.

Some kind of pass filter - no doubt - like a duplexer in design picking up thru a load resistor and a coil - right?

How would one make a signal sampler to isolate a 54mhz parasitic?
I can't afford a spectrum analyzer -of course- so if I can make one standard sampler and one with a filter to only pick up 54mhz I can make a CB radio tune clean.

Some kind of pass filter - no doubt - like a duplexer in design picking up thru a load resistor and a coil - right?

The O-scope will pick up all RF...not just at a specific frequency. You really need a spectrum analyzer to do what you're describing. Using just a basic RF sampler like I showed, you don't know the output level of the radio at 54mhz, so adding some type of band pass filter inline to only see that frequency range won't tell you much.

You can make a narrow filter and use an RF detector.

That is basically how a spec an works. As the trace sweeps across, it sweeps a tuned receiver and displays the RF amplitude as a voltage.

But you would not even need an O-scope. The detector outputs DC volts in correlation to RF input, so a DC voltmeter would even work.

I think DTB had a project to use a CB as the tuned receiver and fed the detected signal to an o-scope, and scanned frequency in conjuction with sweep.

Yes, here it is:

FREE Spectrum Analyzer!!!

Now, all you need is a tunable broadband receiver, some creativity, and you can have a relatively cheap spectrum analyzer...

also note, this kind of device can be made using almost any o-scope, even a 500kHz scope, as long as you can track or control the sweep...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?