1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TM-281A or Yaesu FT-2900R

Discussion in 'Ham Equipment' started by SMILEX2692002, Sep 8, 2012.

1. SMILEX2692002

SMILEX2692002
    Expand Collapse

If you had to pick one to buy, which one would you get and why?
    Just looking for a simple 2 meter FM radio for the house. Don't use 440 so no need for a dual band radio.

2. binrat

binrat
    Expand Collapse
    WDX Club Coordinator
    Staff Member

Icom ic2200H :)
    sorry, just had too. I found that the 2900R to be not that simple to use while mobile.

3. W5LZ

W5LZ
    Expand Collapse
    Crotchety Old Bastard

Already have a '281, and wouldn't hesitate to get another one if I needed one. It really is about as simple as it gets both programming and use. Until I'd used it for awhile I worried about it getting hot (no fan). I don't worry about it now, haven't burned it up, doubt if I ever will.
    What could be 'better' about it? Those @#$ RJ-45 mic connectors, I hate them. No problems with them, I just don't like'em.
    - 'Doc

4. SMILEX2692002

SMILEX2692002
    Expand Collapse

Got the TM-281. It works great and would recommend it for anyone looking for a basic 2 meter radio.

5. Turbo T

Turbo T
    Expand Collapse
    Certified CB Rambo

I had the FT2800R which is very similar to the FT-2900R you are asking about. Let me say this...if you like your radios to be "robust", then you will like the FT-2900R. It's built inside of a heavy duty casing. It'll do 75 watts too. Also there's an easy way to mod the radio so it transmits outside of the 2 M band....aka you can set it up to run on MURS. If I needed another 2M only mobile, I'd definitely get another 2800/2900.

I can't speak on the Kenwood.

6. st1ngr4y

st1ngr4y
    Expand Collapse

Icom ic-v8000 75watts w/ a fan :D

7. N8FNR

N8FNR
    Expand Collapse

If you like to name memories the TM-281A only has 100 memories instead of the 200 if you just have it display the frequency. See Kenwood TM-281A Mobile Transceiver TM281. I remember reading the review of the rig in QST and found it weird that Kenwood would do this with a modern rig.

The FT-2900R has 200 memories no matter if they display alphanumeric or just numeric.

I like to program memory names in my rigs and the limitation with the TM-281A would be a showstopper for me.

Zack
    N8FNR

8. W5LZ

W5LZ
    Expand Collapse
    Crotchety Old Bastard

Do you really have over 100 repeaters/frequencies programmed into your radio?
    - 'Doc

9. N8FNR

N8FNR
    Expand Collapse

I have about 400 memories programmmed in my TH-D72a and FT-8800. The first 100 are local repeaters. The rest are railroads, marine, ham satellites etc. And I find that it really helps a lot to name everything. That way I don't have to remember which memory is for anything. I use RT Systems software to manage both of the rigs as it lets you move memories from one rig to the other very easily.

Zack
    N8FNR

10. W5LZ

W5LZ
    Expand Collapse
    Crotchety Old Bastard

I find that amazing, 2 meters has to be much more active 'there' than it is 'here'. I'm not sure there are 100 active repeaters in the state, and I've found that I never hear/use even close to that many. Even with all the simplex frequencies and those not on 2 meters, I have less than 100 memories filled. Oh well, if you have a use for that many memories then I would have to say that the '281 wouldn't be your best choice.
    Once upon a time I tried to fill all the memories in another radio (1000 of them). Programmed in all the repeaters, call freqs. in a 500 mile radius. Almost filled all the memories, but never heard a peep out of 90% of them. Got so confused I just dumped the whole mess and started over. :)
    - 'Doc

11. N8FNR

N8FNR
    Expand Collapse

What I did was program all 2/440 repeaters for a 35 mile radius around my QTH (a northern suburb of Detroit) so that I can use any repeaters if I am driving around the area. Using the software is simple enough that it does not take long to do. And I can just let the rig scan to listen to anyone calling for a random QSO on any repeater in that 35 mile radius if I am at home or on the road.

Zack
    N8FNR

12. Fuzzybr

Fuzzybr
    Expand Collapse

ft-2900

I do. I have a ft-7800 in the car and use prob 800 of 1000 memories.
    to guy for comparison--- the banks are nice. you set up any bank with any freq and not lose the total number of channels.
    Fuzzybr