• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TM-V71A

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
anyone own a kenwood TM-V71A ?

how do you like it?
is it really tiny?
medium...?
pros & cons?
i am considering this radio for mobile use.

I have 2 > 1 in my truck and the other one I use as a base
I did the mar cap on them
I thinks I posted it here on the site
They are easy to program
100 % in my book
Just my 1 cent

Reactions: 1 person
I have a TM-V71A and like it. It' a real dual band radio and can 'do' both bands at the same time (two receivers). It has bells-n-whistles that are handy and some I've never even tried yet. The '71A is basically a TM-D710 without the TNC and a different styled control head. That control head can be left on the radio or remotely mounted. It is capable of 'doing' APRS but doesn't have it "built-in" like the '710 does. The same free software from Kenwood can control both radios.
How big/small is it? I don't have the measurements handy but they aren't hard to find. I have mine 'separated', the radio under a seat, the control head on the dash. Size isn't a problem. It's maybe slightly smaller than a common CB radio, but not a 'miniature' radio.
I like Kenwoods programming scheme. It seems logical to me, sort of arranged in 'layers' or 'steps'. Most of the controls on the control head have two functions. How long you hold that button in determines the function. And there's another button that changes the function labels. Not quite as much to remember, sort of.
What are some of my dislikes? There are two 'sides' to this radio and they can be set up for different bands or the same band on both. That's not a dislike, but remembering which 'side' I'm on, or not paying attention to which 'side' I'm on is aggravating at times. That's more my fault than the radios, just not paying enough attention. I wish that @#$ head had a 'sunshade' built onto it! It doesn't, so I just made one of my own. It keeps the sun/glare from making the screen so hard to read at times (dash mounted). If Kewood had asked me I could have made a much easier to use (but more expensive) mount for that control head. That's another 'personal' thingy, the supplied mount does work.
Poeple complain about the Mic not being connected to the control head but to the radio's body. That's a 'plus' for me. I can put that control head almost anywhere that I can run one cable. How about behind the sun visor, for instance, with no mic handing in my face. The mic cable is the same as a telephone's cable so making an extension is about as easy as the nearest Wal-Mart. (Kenwood is 'proud' of their cables, you know?)
Oh well, ain't nothing perfect (except me, naturally).
Best advice is to get your hands on one before buying, see how you like it.
- 'Doc

(Oh yeah, it has a green or orange/amber screen. I like the green.)

Reactions: 2 people
I have a TM-V71A and like it. It' a real dual band radio and can 'do' both bands at the same time (two receivers). It has bells-n-whistles that are handy and some I've never even tried yet. The '71A is basically a TM-D710 without the TNC and a different styled control head. That control head can be left on the radio or remotely mounted. It is capable of 'doing' APRS but doesn't have it "built-in" like the '710 does. The same free software from Kenwood can control both radios.
How big/small is it? I don't have the measurements handy but they aren't hard to find. I have mine 'separated', the radio under a seat, the control head on the dash. Size isn't a problem. It's maybe slightly smaller than a common CB radio, but not a 'miniature' radio.
I like Kenwoods programming scheme. It seems logical to me, sort of arranged in 'layers' or 'steps'. Most of the controls on the control head have two functions. How long you hold that button in determines the function. And there's another button that changes the function labels. Not quite as much to remember, sort of.
What are some of my dislikes? There are two 'sides' to this radio and they can be set up for different bands or the same band on both. That's not a dislike, but remembering which 'side' I'm on, or not paying attention to which 'side' I'm on is aggravating at times. That's more my fault than the radios, just not paying enough attention. I wish that @#$ head had a 'sunshade' built onto it! It doesn't, so I just made one of my own. It keeps the sun/glare from making the screen so hard to read at times (dash mounted). If Kewood had asked me I could have made a much easier to use (but more expensive) mount for that control head. That's another 'personal' thingy, the supplied mount does work.
Poeple complain about the Mic not being connected to the control head but to the radio's body. That's a 'plus' for me. I can put that control head almost anywhere that I can run one cable. How about behind the sun visor, for instance, with no mic handing in my face. The mic cable is the same as a telephone's cable so making an extension is about as easy as the nearest Wal-Mart. (Kenwood is 'proud' of their cables, you know?)
Oh well, ain't nothing perfect (except me, naturally).
Best advice is to get your hands on one before buying, see how you like it.
- 'Doc

(Oh yeah, it has a green or orange/amber screen. I like the green.)

it would be cool if you could share the image of that homemade sun visor:)
the whole "menu layer" sounds like something i would enjoy!
also, good to note that the mic uses a simple telephone type wire...not an issue here. a + to having it not connected to the face is wonderful news! As for size, i was wanting to know if it was larger then this super tiny kenwood 733a i have i was very disappointing that the radio was soo small. my ic-7000 control head is a perfect comfortable size and i do Drive a med/large SUV and don't want my interior to gobble up the radio on the dash hihi

hows the cross band repeat? would any HT work with it? like IE, a Yaezu VX170 or... FT60r?

what got me sold was when kenwood sent me this packet of brochures...got the chance to take a look at kenwood's newest radios.
2012-01-27_19-39-16_810.jpg

73s k6dea^^ ab v c^^

Last edited:
Got two of em, love em. All the features you need plus a few neat, useful ones (crossband repeat), but nothing unnecessary to clutter it up.

I like to download the manual for a device and read through it before I buy, helps you to understand how it works, exactly what kind of features it has, etc.

I program mine with CHIRP on the computer, but front panel programming is also easy and straightforward. Everything works the way it should, I haven't found any strange "quirks" yet. Out of all the current offerings for a dualbander from the "big 3", I think the V71A is the best right now.

Although in general I've had terrible experiences with Kenwood products I've looked long and hard at this radio. I really like the specs. and design except for it's cross band repeat and ID features. I use cross band repeat a lot so that's a big deal.
In cross band mode there is a 3 minute time out timer. If you're monitoring a repeater and the other guys don't let the squelch tail drop for 3 minutes the Kenwood will time out. This can't be defeated. Also, the CW ID goes out on both bands every 10 minutes no matter what. So, if you're just monitoring a repeater and there's no traffic everyone else listening to the repeater will hear you CW ID every 10 minutes all day long. Also, that ID may go out over other traffic. There's nothing to prevent it from transmitting over top of someone else. This would be bad news in an emergency net situation.
Otherwise, I really like the radio but I won't be buying one because of these issues. And the fact that I just can't quite bring myself to spend money on a Kenwood again.

I haven't really looked into current offerings, but from an older review I read, there weren't any radios that offered crossband ID natively anyway. It can be disabled, if it doesn't suit you. You probably don't want your radio TXing full power for more than 3 minutes at a time anyway (bye finals) as could happen on a really busy repeater, probably why they set it up that way.

Reactions: 1 person
Full power for 3 minutes is probably not a good idea but shouldn't hurt a properly designed radio.
I have 3 different Icom radios that, in cross band, sometimes transmit on low power for an hour or more when some guys get to rag chewing on the repeater. They're all about 20 years old and the finals are original.

FWIW
I don't know of any 'ham' radio that's built to 'commercial' operations standards, constant transmission isn't normal for ham stuff at full power. Reducing power for longer duty cycle stuff is absolutely normal and smart. You could always add extra cooling, but that's not always practical. So, reducing power for repeater or cross-band operations is very common/normal (even for the commercial stuff).
All radios have 'qwerks', you either learn to live with them or swap radios/cars/computers/whatever.
- 'Doc

I've been using mine for several months now and really like it. It has features that I have not used (like the remote control with your HT thing...) I don't use cross band repeat yet, mostly talk on our 440 repeater to some of the local guys. Once in a while I get on the two meter repeater. I have to remember to turn the volume down on the one I'm not using though, or it gets kinda confusing. :blink: The transmit audio on it is LOUD, even on the medium setting. I need to turn it down to low. Most of the guys around here use the Yaesu FT-8800, so it was kind of cool to have something new and different from the rest of the crowd.

Brett

I've been using mine for several months now and really like it. It has features that I have not used (like the remote control with your HT thing...) I don't use cross band repeat yet, mostly talk on our 440 repeater to some of the local guys. Once in a while I get on the two meter repeater. I have to remember to turn the volume down on the one I'm not using though, or it gets kinda confusing. :blink: The transmit audio on it is LOUD, even on the medium setting. I need to turn it down to low. Most of the guys around here use the Yaesu FT-8800, so it was kind of cool to have something new and different from the rest of the crowd.

Brett

Press F(unction) then Low, it'll enable "Mute", which turns down the volume on the non-PTT selected channel when there is a transmission coming in on both side. Your PTT selected channel takes priority over the non-PTT one.

Reactions: KJ4FEL
Press F(unction) then Low, it'll enable "Mute", which turns down the volume on the non-PTT selected channel when there is a transmission coming in on both side. Your PTT selected channel takes priority over the non-PTT one.

Thanks buickid... one of these days I'll actually read the manual! :LOL:

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated