• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TS-480 optional filter choice

Heavy Metal

Aug 23, 2014
Asked which to do 500hz and 1.8khz or 270hz and 1.8khz, or 270hz and 500hz as picks for optional filter choice and why? Was thinking 270hz and 500hz as choice for the CW and SSB filtering choices. What do you think?

Second the 1.8 and 500 unless you are into cw.
Anything less than 1.8 is a pain on SSB. You might want to consider The high stability option before the 270hzs for CW
Me personally ,I have a radio with adjustable filters, I find myself listening to ssb on 2.1 and only narrow up if conditions are real bad. For CW I use 1.2 kc and narrow up to 500. The 500 makes CW pop up out of the noise and if I go down to 270 I find little improvement and have to do more fine tuning.

Last edited:
Going to get the TCXO option too just growing out for opinions. Which would be best I like to shut out loud stations bleeding over that's why going to put the filters in and is like to know which combo would be best had thought 500hz and 270hz, or 1.8Khz and 270hz. But those out their prob have done this and is like to hear what works and what does Lnot and what will make listening and picking up better.

Can you even select the CW filter of 270 and 500 Hz in SSB mode? You do NOT want to try and listen to SSB with even a 500 Hz filter even if you can select it. It eats up the signal bandwidth and you end up with muddy muffled sounding audio. Go with the 1.8 KHz filter for SSB and 500Hz for CW unless you are a REAL CW operator that likes to work contests.

Reactions: 222DBFL and binrat
Id love some old machanical Collins ones but CK ill go with 1.8Khz and 500hz and yes on the TS-480 you can use CW filters on SSB.

Why I was looking at the lower end. Or 1.8Khz and 270hz

But I'll go with the 1.8Khz and 500hz... Am getting the TCXO As well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 222DBFL and 2RT307
The TXCO is the main thing and also having aligned on a truly calibrated piece of equipment and let sit to make sure there is no change, or major change anyway. I like the kenwood 480. My local pal bought the 480SAT after me telling him how they performed. He is a diehard Icom guy and he was suprised at how well the kenwood worked on both AM and SSB with just the stock mic and having everything set correctly with the mic. It sounded truly good on air. But anyways, the TXCO is a great option even by itself. The filters make is like the cherry on top LOL!! Wish I could get some filters for my Icom 746, but it does have the TXCO installed, so I am happy with it for now. At least I know it's always on frequency or has been for me as long as I have owned it. Mine was just back from Icom for a complete overhaul per say. And they did a good job with it I suppose as I have not had any issues at all with it to speak of. Minus the plug for power, which yes I did fix on mine as well. At any rate, enjoy messing with the new filters. Good day.

I wanted it for awhile so rather crack it open and do all 3!" At same time. Why I asked about the filter combo the 480 allows SSB to use CW filter as well so why asked which would be best combo to install.

Reactions: 222DBFL
So bottom like most have chimed 1.8Khz and 500hz so which combo

1) 1.8Khz and 500hz

2) 1.8Khz and 270Hz

3) 500hz and 270hz

CK same and a few others just wondering how well when wanting to cut through BS on SSB ect would be better for 270 vs 500 or not that different and worth it?

CK same and a few others just wondering how well when wanting to cut through BS on SSB ect would be better for 270 vs 500 or not that different and worth it?

Go back and re-read the second and third sentences.
http://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/kenwood-ts-480-optional-filter-choice.201941/#post-554229
http://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/kenwood-ts-480-optional-filter-choice.201941/#post-554229

YOU DO NOT USE CW NARROW FILTERS FOR SSB OR ANY OTHER VOICE MODE.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.