• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kl-203 Amp Mods?

May 3, 2009
I know everyone is just going to tell me to buy a better amp, and I agree I should.. And Probably within 6-8 months I will buy a 400ish watt amp for my mobile. But in the mean time, I bought a KL-203 (100 watt am and 200 ssb) new for sixty bucks cause I was only running 20 watts out of my radio.

I just wanted to know if there are any parts in it I can replace to get some more power out of it. Obviously i'm not hoping for 300 watts or anything, but maybe 150 or so i would be happy with. I am running a Uniden Trucker 3.5 dk swinging to I think 22 and I have a Wilson 1000 magnet mount with good swr's. And the amp gets warm when I talk on it, but it talks great and good audio. I am worried I may be overdriving it though, so I may turn my radio down, but I just got a Cobra 148F GTL and I am in the process of getting all the bells and whistles on it and it will be the radio running the amp. So is there anything I can do to the amp to milk a few extra watts out of it other than just overdrivng it?

California Kid
Vacaville, Ca

Nope, it is what it is.

I've had a couple and while they work OK, they are the Bic lighter of amps.

Disposable but work fine.

Drop the DK to 2W or less and it'll be OK.

Reactions: Woody-202
74IN gave it to you straight,it is what it is. You must also remember that if you could go from say 100 watts to 150 NO ONE WOULD NOTICE. Once you start into amplifiers you must double your total peak power each time or it's pointless.

A good next step for you would be something with at least two 2879 finals. A Texas Star 350, Bulletproof 3, or a TnT 350 just to name afew.

Reactions: NZ8N
yes, california kid, like others are saying; remember the 4X rule:

if you hit someone with say, an S-5 and you are putting out 100 watts; you will have to put out 400 watts to hit them with an S-6.

so 50 extra watts isnt going to get you anything really.

turn the deadkey down to 2 watts, and dont swing anymore than 18-20 watts into that amp.

LC

Reactions: NZ8N

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.