• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

KLV-1000 - Junk - or not . . .

Robb

Honorary Member Silent Key
Dec 18, 2008
Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
Been looking for an amp that I could run at a low level - around 500 watts. Cost is a factor, as I might pick up the KLV-1000 for ~$500. I understand that the amp has a problem with the drive tube, as it doesn't like to be be over-driven. I was looking for an amp that could be driven with ~20 watts PEP/SSB. Not so interested in the AM aspect of it at all. Is 20 watts SSB still to much for the drive tube?

Does this amp pass scrutiny - as for emissions?
Is it a dirty bird?
Or is it designed for CB fast food?

PL519 Pentode tube:
PL519 @ The National Valve Museum

Attachments

• KLV_1000.jpg
    KLV_1000.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 909
  • KLV1000-manual_rel_210.pdf
    410.9 KB · Views: 583

20w ssb is WAY too much drive for the 1000, the 1000p has no driver tube which may be a better choice if you can up the radio drive a little.

So, how much drive is too much drive for this amp?
Not the kind of guy that beats up any of his equipment.
Any and all comments from experience or here-say is welcome.

There is just TOO LITTLE info on this amp out on the 'net . . .

im using one now, it seems to want a few watts SSB and a couple deadkey AM, if i drive it harder audio goes to pieces

im using one now, it seems to want a few watts SSB and a couple deadkey AM, if i drive it harder audio goes to pieces

How many watts are you getting out of it?

How much does the power vary from band to band?

How many volts on the mains do you put in it?

Have you ever had to fix one?

If so; then what are the common problems areas/other known issues?

Quality:
Transformer?
Tubes?
Overall build quality?
??

i feel stupid telling you but it shows over 700w on the lp-100 but it don't sound nice at all up there, @500w its not bad

Looks like they're not doing much with the grids of the tubes. I bet if they put a little more voltage on the control grids and applied some voltages on the suppressor grids that it'd sound a lot nicer. Efficiency would go down, but output would be a lot cleaner.

At least it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to retube the amp. The EL509's and EL 519's are 34-35W plate dissipation per tube, so 500W is about max you'd get out of that amp. 15-16W on SSB would drive it full output without being too splattery.

Don't look like too awful of an amp, but for 500 bucks you're better off getting a Heathkit SB200/Yaesu FL2100B, or perhaps an Ameritron AL80.

~Cheers~

Reactions: wavrider
Appreciate the input.

However, my intention of putting this thread on the Ham section was directed to Hams; not CBers.

So what you are saying is that the amp design favors high output at the cost of audio quality.

What about 'spectral purity'?
Prolly the #1 reason I posted it here.

Guess many Hams don't use this amp.

Poor design and a waste of resources in the build?
Things like this is what I am after/to find out.

i missed your other questions rob, 240v mains, it does near enough the same power from 26-28mhz and a little less on 10 but i would not use it on 10mtrs,
at not much over 300w it goes into heavy compression,

i have fixed a couple but nothing major, they are prone to loose case screws which loses ground and causes arcing in the load cap blowing the fuse,
i took this in part ex against another amp, its had very little use, it would be better for me with a 6db tpad on the input or the driver removed,
im not clued up enough on tubes to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Appreciate the input.

However, my intention of putting this thread on the Ham section was directed to Hams; not CBers.

So what you are saying is that the amp design favors high output at the cost of audio quality.

All amps do that. Clean signal with lower output and shitty signal when you drive the snot out of them.

What about 'spectral purity'?
Prolly the #1 reason I posted it here.

They can be clean but only if run well below maximum output. Remember this amp only has a total final plate dissipation of around something equal to a single 572B. What would you expect a single 572B to sound like at 500+ watts out? I'll give you a hint: It's brown and circles the bowl when the little handle is pressed. :whistle:

Guess many Hams don't use this amp.

That's because it's a CB amp with all the caveats that go along with them. Real hams run real HAM amps. Not trying to be snooty or anything but that's the truth. There is a reason why ham amps cost more and have a lot more parts than a CB amp.

Poor design and a waste of resources in the build?
Things like this is what I am after/to find out.

Your money will be wiser spent on a REAL ham amp.

AL80B for $500.00 Hamfests, Craigs list, I have even seen some show up in the flea markets, Vendors buy storage units at auction then take to weekend flea markets and sell the stuff.

Search in the not so reasonable places, QTH.Com, QRZ, E-bay etc etc is full of amps, and at inflated prices. Local estate sales, newspaper adds, etc etc is where the bargains are found.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.