• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Largest amp I can put in my new F150

dipd1108

Nov 13, 2013
I just purchased a new ford f150 wondering what is the largest amp I can run without blowing up the electronics in my truck? I have installed a second battery in the toolbox with 4 gauge wire running from my alternator terminal. I am running a galaxy 99 radio and already have an xforce 200hd.

I just purchased a new ford f150 wondering what is the largest amp I can run without blowing up the electronics in my truck? I have installed a second battery in the toolbox with 4 gauge wire running from my alternator terminal. I am running a galaxy 99 radio and already have an xforce 200hd.

TNT 600HD

I'd be more worried about RF getting into the truck's electronics, not whether the truck can run the amp...might want to research for your particular truck until you find someone whose done it, some newer vehicles don't like any amount of errant RF. Not trying to be a downer, just throwing out the realistic problem you could run into...nothing worse than buying a big $$ amp to find out you can't use it.

Unless you're willing to be the first one...

Yea that's the ticket right there. You run that big amp and then toast your ABS sensors, air bag module, cruise, stereo, power locks and windows, or you smoke the main computer. Now you got a 45,000 dollar POS new vehicle that the dealer might not cover since they would consider this abuse or owner error.

My F150 is an '07 and handles a 4 transistor amp without any issues to the electrical system or the computer.

RT307

You can run anything with enough bonding and RF proofing. A 2x4 ??? Why? 2-2290's cruising an 8 pill. I forgot what you said you were running for the radio or specifically what it peps cleanly. If you operate the box correctly instead of chasing a watt meter needle you will get twice as much performance. Unless you into key downs? Why overdrive and put watts on channels your not TXing on. There's guys driving a 16 with a 2 pill and putting the hammer on people showing a lot (double++) more watts. Plus he sounds way better and more people calling him because of it.

Reactions: 1 person
If you operate the box correctly instead of chasing a watt meter needle you will get twice as much performance. Unless you into key downs? Why overdrive and put watts on channels your not TXing on. There's guys driving a 16 with a 2 pill and putting the hammer on people showing a lot (double++) more watts. Plus he sounds way better and more people calling him because of it.

I have to agree with this post.
Amps with built in drivers are well known for creating problems.
A 4 x 2879 amp driven with a dual final radio is a much better choice, or even 6 x 2879`s, and run cooler/live longer.

Jeff

Reactions: 1 person
Amp

I just saw a 2012 ford f150 with five alternators and a 20,000 watt amp. I know i am going to hear about this one so before ya blow a fuse check out mauldroppers on you tube.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?