• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

LESON LEARNED

Sonar

Apr 8, 2016
In the springtime of 2015 I asked members what would be a good true pep reading meter to purchase. I specifically asked about the MFJ 828. I was warned about this meter & MFJ equipment in general. I didn't listen and got a $225 paperweight. If you're considering one of these take it from someone who learned the hard way and don't buy it! Even after returning it for repair under warranty , it came back exactly the same way as it was sent. 20160728_153535~2.jpg

not a big fan of digital meters

I am not a fan at all of digital meters. They are no more accurate than an analog meter. Lots of people get accuracy and RESOLUTION confused. I definitely prefer good old analog meters except for my digital VOM. Then again there are times when I prefer my analog VOM depending on the job.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
I would use a dummy load and test each one separately. Compare. Same input power settings - do NOT change.

Have a MFJ 993B that seems to be quite accurate. Only complaint I have with it, is that one of the relays in the tuning circuit went belly up. That is not unreasonable either.

What exactly is the issue with your unit? Is the display not working? That should be easily fixed under warranty. I've had warranty work done by MFJ and they fixed the problem and were very helpful.

MFJ definitely is hit or miss on some products but others products work fine and have good ratings so I wouldn't say they are something to steer clear off completely.

That 828 is pretty expensive for a PEP meter and it works pretty well, but anytime you add anything digital like a display you can have failures. I had one but didn't like that it didn't work for QRP.

My 3 month old samsung dryer with a digital panel stopped working and they had to replace the whole digital panel. Our old washer with "analog" controls lasted for 30 years and is still working at a friends house who we gave it to.

Reactions: LeapFrog
The Diawa CN-801 is a good true P.E.P. meter. It does require an external power source for the peak reading circuits to function. Cost less than $150.00 with shipping.
3804-1448937789-a8c2eee64299883c2551169aaeb31c7d.jpg

Last edited:
The Diawa CN-801 is a good true P.E.P. meter. It does require an external power source for the peak reading circuits to function. Cost less than $100.00 with shipping.

(y) I have two of them. Both HF meters and one is good for 2 Kw and the other is good to 3 Kw. Someday I WILL have a reason to use the 3 Kw unit over the 2 Kw one. LOL

Another decent meter that works well in the mobile is the radio shack SWR/power meters. If you have a Radio Shack near you, check for one there. They did keep a little stuff for radio in the one by me. And that is one item they do carry is the radio shack SWR/power meter. Also cheek eBay for them. They pop up sometimes. Though not a true PEP meter, they do work well for testing VSWR and also doing a check of the power, even if it's not true PEP power, I've found mine to be pretty close to a true PEP reading meter.
I know you said you think you have fixed the issue due to the warning not showing up. But that doesn't mean it's a whole lot better. May be just enough to make it work. You will be able to better tune it with a an SWR/power meter. No doubt about that in my mind.
In the end it's your choice, but I wouldn't trust my internal meter over an external one!! Especially if the radio has had work done to it. These are all JMHO's. Hope you get it all worked out.
And have a great day.
73 and God Bless
Sean

Bottom line is NEVER go by j7st an antenna warning light. They will light up when there is no problem if the radio has been peaked gor more power out.
So true, you can some what rely on them as long the radio has not been "Golden Screw Drivered". One operator I met told me his radio never had an SWR problem because he adjusted the swr's pot inside the radio. Hmmmm? then what smoked the final transistor?

Last edited:
+1 For the Diawa meters. I own one and it works great. Spot on with compared to a bird 43. I also modded mine for a scope pickup, there shielded box inside make for a nice clean signal.

Reactions: Tallman
The Diawa CN-801 is a good true P.E.P. meter. It does require an external power source for the peak reading circuits to function. Cost less than $150.00 with shipping.
I have one also and would buy another
meterr.JPG the color of the lighting is al so very nice CN-801-HP 1.8 to 200 MHZ peak add RMs 20 200 and 2000 watts nice Buy it!!!

Reactions: Ranch55 and Tallman

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.