• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Listening on 11 meters....

mechanic

Mar 4, 2009
North coast of the USA.... Da UP!
Tuning around on the 11 meter band and below, I found some interesting comms on 25.750 in AM mode. At first I thought it may be DEA or ICE but listening for a short it seems to be deer hunters. Talking about pursuit and having gun on the ready, you can see my confusion! Sort of a Texas drawl on the heavy side but not really sure of the location. I recorded some but it was long moments of static, I'll have to edit the recordings.
I tuned to the proper CB band to see if I could locate the area of these transmissions, on 27.385 LSB I could hear stations from Texas to Washington.... my location is Michigan's upper peninsula. The Washington station I heard was saying something about a large flight takeoff of Navy planes from Whidbey Island NAS. The NAS happens to be an electronic warfare air base.
With a band opening some interesting things can be heard and the use of CB is certainly not dead!

73 mechanic

You can also hear lots of Cabs in South America operating in the 25.6-27.950 range.

Some times even Mexican drug runners etc.. operating on some of those frequencies.

I don't listen to any frequencys below 27.3655 lsb/usb. The many Spanish speaking stations especially between 27.4155-4655 peaked my intrest because some of them are exstramly quick with there transmitions.
I mean like one second. Enough time to say one or two words.
Maybe coded message.
Like I said I don't know the language so I'm baffled as to what's being said or why they say what their saying so quickly and to the point.
I emedietly thought drug runners.
Whoever they are know there's people who understand what their saying but maybe it's a tactic to make their location difficult to pin down in the event someone's trying to do so.
You can also hear lots of Cabs in South America operating in the 25.6-27.950 range.

Some times even Mexican drug runners etc.. operating on some of those frequencies.

they have the budget to buy the same technology used against then charrito espacial

also you waste to much time watching tv to get an idea how things are run at the border ,get your facts straight before you make an statement

Now got back to your usual biz and keep playing with your little tiny space rocket

they have the budget to buy the same technology used against then charrito espacial

also you waste to much time watching tv to get an idea how things are run at the border ,get your facts straight before you make an statement

Now got back to your usual biz and keep playing with your little tiny space rocket

HMMM,, how do I say this??

It is not only 11 meters that you MAY or MAY not hear being used to send coded messages either by voice or other means.

The freq are monitored by different agencies in several countries.

In case you are wondering I made a good living working for Uncle Sam repairing some of that equipment used for "listening" .

It is amazing what a hand held walkie talkie can do for range on the side of a mountain in a jungle.

the full HF spectrum is basically used as well as the vhf is some countries.

11 meters was banned in Philippines due to the gorilla fighters using them for comms, now they use 2 meter hand helds, and of course they are not licensed.

It is not only 11 meters that you MAY or MAY not hear being used to send coded messages either by voice or other means.

In case you are wondering I made a good living working for Uncle Sam repairing some of that equipment used for "listening" .

It is amazing what a hand held walkie talkie can do for range on the side of a mountain in a jungle.

11 meters was banned in Philippines due to the gorilla fighters using them for comms, now they use 2 meter hand helds, and of course they are not licensed.

Cool,ditto on the gov contract too !

Is a lot easier to use a commercial am or fm radio station to send a greeting message in code

just another way to skin a cat

My 2 tacos =P

Last edited:
Reactions: Robb
Congrats on working for our great American government.
We need people in all aspects of government in order to get the bad guy's.
It's always a plus to get them before they get a chance to unleash their evil on the citezens of this great country.
I doubt most people think of the workers who spend their whole working day listening to hundreds if not thousands of voices day in and day out on a set of headphones.
I can only imagine the many cases in which an evil plan was foiled because of the people who listen too and keep that equipment up and going.
CNN usually reports after the twisted manifestations of group's and individuals who were successful or atlest came close to succeeding.
Until your post I myself never gave it a second thought as to how may people actually do those types of jobs.
I honestly salute all those who work in that capacity. It's unfortunate we need to listen in but it's a definite necessity.

I hope I don't sound like a paranoid scytsofrenic but I'm not gonna bury my head in the sand.
I know their out there and unfourtunatly their numbers are growing daily.

Congrats on working for our great American government.
We need people in all aspects of government in order to get the bad guy's.
It's always a plus to get them before they get a chance to unleash their evil on the citezens of this great country.
I doubt most people think of the workers who spend their whole working day listening to hundreds if not thousands of voices day in and day out on a set of headphones.
I can only imagine the many cases in which an evil plan was foiled because of the people who listen too and keep that equipment up and going.
CNN usually reports after the twisted manifestations of group's and individuals who were successful or atlest came close to succeeding.
Until your post I myself never gave it a second thought as to how may people actually do those types of jobs.
I honestly salute all those who work in that capacity. It's unfortunate we need to listen in but it's a definite necessity.

I hope I don't sound like a paranoid scytsofrenic but I'm not gonna bury my head in the sand.
I know their out there and unfourtunatly their numbers are growing daily.

Sierra Vista,Az :)

Can you care to explain how do you know that they are indeed " Mexican Drug Runners " operating those frequencies ?

Inquiring mind wants to know :confused:

I am a fluent spanish speaker in addition to english. :) So you can hear them talk about stuff. They have nicknames for things etc.. sometimes you will hear stuff out in the 6mhz or 8mhz LSB as well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?