• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Long wire antenna for shortwave

F-STOP

Dec 20, 2016
When running a 60' #12 insulated wire from a tree to the house can the insulated wire run with a #9 galv. guide wire, being the support wire?

Yes #12 can easily support itself for lengths even twice that long.The antenna need not be perfectly taught, it can droop and move with the wind(it should) and performance will be unaffected...Keep it simple...don't turn this into a Rocket Science project for a SWL antenna.
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Yes #12 can easily support itself for lengths even twice that long.The antenna need not be perfectly taught, it can droop and move with the wind(it should) and performance will be unaffected...Keep it simple...don't turn this into a Rocket Science project for a SWL antenna.
All the Best
Gary

Yes indeed. Even 14 gauge wire can be used to make an 80m dipole which is approx. 132 feet end to end plus the weight of the coax hanging from the middle. I once had a 160m dipole made from 12 gauge wire which was 260 feet end to end although it was very low. No need at all for any type of carrier wire for 60 feet of 12 gauge.

Stranded is stronger, got it. After running the #12 to the house should I continue with the #12 wire to the radio. How should I terminate the wire to plug it into the radio? I hope to get on this this weekend.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated