• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for an antenna tuner

338_MtRushmore

Jun 17, 2012
The Dakotas
I would like to get an antenna tuner so I have the option of running wire and balanced line and such. I guess I am looking for an old tuner that can be found under $200 that preferably has a balun, and antenna selector switch. It doesn't have to be kw rated, but stand up to anything a radio can throw at it.
Any recommendations for what to keep an eye out for?

ETA If I need something different than I think I do, feel free to let me know. I really have no idea, I'm just learning to bluff right now.

Last edited:

Klondike Mike has a good deal on an older version of the MFJ-949E. The Dentrons are nice if you can find one.

I have a 949e and I think it's a rock solid manual tuner. I would suggest a newer version because the power meter is updated with a cross needle type and needs no pre-calibration.

These tuners are rated up to 300 watts, they have a handy dummy load built in along with a 4:1 balun for wire antennas.

Shop around because they can be had new for $150.

H0-001313A.jpg

1345511.jpg

For Sale: Dentron MT-2000A Antenna Tuner
In good working condition. Front face, inside, and rear panel look great. Top scratched up from other things stacked on it. $175 shipped to the lower 48. PayPal(+3%) preferred but will take other payment types.
Listing #1345511 by K7YK
Last Edited on 09/26/17
Submitted on 09/13/17
Submitted from c-24-19-242-213.hsd1.wa.comcast.net

1347147.jpg

Click Here to Enlarge Photo
mdoc.gif
ANTETUNE - Dentron G:T-1000C antenna tuner
Great condition and great working Dentron 1000C,1000 Watt antenna tuner. Asking $150.00 plus shipping. Payment via paypal.
Listing #1347147 by WZ1F
Submitted on 09/25/17

Drake MN-2700
Drake MN-2700 Manual Tuner for sale without Balun.
Price - $235 including shipping to US Address.
Sold as is but I used it several years ago at Field Day with good result.
I picked it up from an estate 15 years ago but have not used it much.
It has been sitting in my shack on the shelf, time to move to a new home that will appreciate it.
Early model - serial number 130!
Front panel - pristine.
Top and sides - signs of age and use but no damage.
Sold as is.
If shipping exceeds $35, we will have to split the difference as this is a heavy unit and I will have it professionally packaged and shipped via UPS or Fed Ex.
Payment: PayPal or other mutually agreed upon method.
Don't pass up this class extraordinary tuner at a bargain price. Make me an offer if you want but shipping at your expense.
Other pictures available.
Scott, K0MD
Listing #1345956 by K0MD
Submitted on 09/17/17
1345956.jpg

1342324.jpg

TENTEC 4229 ROLLER INDUCTR A/T
I have for sale an excellent condition TENTEC 4229 roller inductor Antenna Tuner asking $200.00 plus actual shipping its rated for 200w to 2kw. will take payment in the form of U.S. Postal Money Order or Paypal. if interested call Eddie at 830-534-8646. Thanks 73 and God Bless
Listing #1342324 by N4EGR
Last Edited on 09/15/17
Submitted on 08/22/17

https://swap.qth.com/c_antetune.php

Click above for original listings...all above rated at 1KW or more...Will be tuners that will never need replaced.
All the Best
Gary

PS: The Dentron 2000A (I own one) Great tuner Well built works. very well, built in balun for balanced line...I love mine...can handle legal limit with ease, but works well for just transceiver also...IMHO

Last edited:
1347488.jpg

Dentron Super Tuner
1kw 160 through 10M compact antenna tuner. Pretty clean with no dents or scratches. $100.00 plus 20.00 shipping to CONUS. For further information or if you have questions please feel free to call Don, N7BT at 360-319-2315. PayPal preferred.
Listing #1347488 by N7BT
Submitted on 09/27/17

https://swap.qth.com/c_antetune.php

Inside view from stock on-line picture
dst4.jpg

Last edited:
Putting a balun on the output of an unbalanced tuner works. Many people do this and are satisfied but better performance can be had.

If you want to feed balanced line the Johnson Viking matchbox is a true balanced tuner. It is link coupled and can be found at a hamfest for under your budget.

I have the Murch tuner that Klondike Mike posted. It's a fine tuner for unbalanced feedline and they also pop up at hamfests often.

Now that I've built my own balanced tuners I will never go back to a commercial job. A link coupled tuner or a balanced L can be built as cheap or expensive as you want. I built and use both. They both have their pros and cons. No need for expensive roller inductors if you homebrew. You can make a couple of coils from solid wire or copper tubing and use jumpers. Strap them to a scrap piece of plywood with a variable cap and enjoy. Finding a match is a pain the first time but once you learn the quirks of the creature you'll be in love.

Reactions: 338_MtRushmore
Thanks for all the recommendations. I will keep an eye out for a good deal now that I have an idea what I am looking for. I will also keep an eye out for parts to build my own. The tuner isn't at the top of my list as I have decided to go with some sort of vertical for now. Thanks again

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated