• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Looking for an unobtrusive base station antenna

Hey guys
Looking to set up a base station in my large shed. I may or may not run an amp, buy I'm looking for something that isnt gaudy or screams CB antenna...

Is there something that works well, that is slim ( even just a whip style? ) Not too tall etc? I'd like to attach it to the side of the shed or maybe the peak of the roof, either way, I thought I'd ask the guys that know.

Appreciate your help!

Edited: I have a serio 4000p mag base mobile antenna, that maybe could be made to work?

Just go with an Antron 99 without the radials. Doesn't get any simpler or unobtrusive than that. It is 18' long and very slim. Extremely easy to assemble and put up.
I do not personally use one, but I have assembled, tested, and installed them. They work good.
I also prefer them with the radials installed, but they are more than adequate without the radials...

Last edited:
Reactions: L2

I tried one of those once. Thought it would be the perfect stealthy antenna. However, I could never get a decent SWR using the tuning rings. Added a hose clamp or two as some suggested. No luck. Trimmed some off the top. No luck. Eventually stumbled upon the solution. Hack-sawed it into several pieces. The result? No more SWR headaches. (y) There are a ton of reviews everywhere from people who've had the same experience.

The PAT-12 looks exactly like ProComm's 18.5' half-wave base antenna with the two middle sections missing. Therein lies the problem I think.

mroneeyedboh,

W2EKG's suggestion above is a proven effective antenna. Lots of them in use. Of you use smaller wire for the radials (16 - 18 ga.) the antenna becomes very unobtrusive.

Reactions: W2EKG
Hey guys
Looking to set up a base station in my large shed. I may or may not run an amp, buy I'm looking for something that isnt gaudy or screams CB antenna...

Is there something that works well, that is slim ( even just a whip style? ) Not too tall etc? I'd like to attach it to the side of the shed or maybe the peak of the roof, either way, I thought I'd ask the guys that know.

Appreciate your help!

Edited: I have a serio 4000p mag base mobile antenna, that maybe could be made to work?
I'm kinda wonderinhg what you ended up with

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?