• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for info on Palomar MOSFET Amp

loopy

May 11, 2010
Hi guys.. new here. Been reading and learning heaps here lately.

On the lookout for an AB amp, I recently came across an ad for a Palomar FET250 Class AB1 Amp. From my understanding, Palomar was a company from way back, and the Palomar name is being carried on by some other mob. But I digress.

Going by their description, this thing is powered by 2 x MOSFET ERF 7520 Transistors.

Doing a search for ERF 7520 (and IRF 7520) specs returned no results. Anyone heard of these MOSFETs or know anything about them? Thanks.

I have no information relevant to your question but I find it mildly amusing the steps they are taking to avoid the ebay police.

Palomar FET250 Linear Amplifier MOSFET Clsas AB1 Amp - eBay (item 130393935850 end time Jun-22-10 16:02:37 PDT)

Yes I'd like one set up to cure cancer please.

Mack chuckles, isn't this the same as not selling an export radio without the jumpers inside that designate what frequency it will operate on? I'm sure that's how uncle charlie sees it and I'm sure some well meaning amateur informant will act on.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IMPORTANT NOTE: So as to comply with eBay regulations, this amp in its current state is NOT designed to transmit on 24 mHZ to 35 mHZ frequencies which is deemed against eBay selling policies. In its current state, it does NOT contain SO239 / PL259 connections so it CANNOT plug into any ham or cb radios. This amp has multiple uses. After the purchase of this amp has been made, customer must email or call and request the amp be designed to work with their ham radio if desired. Please understand, we want to comply with eBay regulations therefore these amps must be built to order given their multiple uses.[/FONT]

I cant believe how hard I laughed at that ad when reading it LMAO!!! That is by far the best so called legit ad Ive ever seen on EBAY. (y)

I'm sure that's how uncle charlie sees it and I'm sure some well meaning amateur informant will act on.

I hope not.

I'm tempted to try one of these, but I'm just worried that should something go wrong, it'll be hard to find replacement transistors.

I wasn't actually considering a MOSFET design, but it's got me curious to see what's out there now.

Palomar FET Amps

These are just now being manufactured and are excellent amps, especially for SSB use.

The transistor used in the amps is the EKL ERF 7530 100 watt FET and are easy to purchase from RF Parts.

Very favorable reports have been received from the first buyers of these new amps.

If mosfets are proned to damage from static discharges would having them connected to an antenna during a lighting storm put them at greater risk for damage?

The IRF7530 is being used in these new amps because it's cheap. While the datasheet says it's designed for high power RF, the TO-218 package says otherwise. When you compare it to the case style of the 2SC2879 there are big differences. Quality RF transistors use wide connection tabs for low inductance. They have dual emitter connections to keep the emitter at absolute RF ground. The case has the junction bonded to a ceramic insulator that is bonded to it's metal mounting base requiring no external insulator. Even though the ERF7030 has a dissipation of 150 watts, all of these things contribute to it's low 20 watt RMS output rating. They may be good for replacing the finals in a CB but would be a poor choice for producing any reasonable power level.

Compared to what?

Yea, I guess I should have said Skywalker builds a nice amp, and I see he builds mosfet amplifiers now too.

Years ago a custom amp builder would sell you an amplifier for display purpose only. To make it work you had to take the cover off and plug a connector in.

Comparing the ERF7530 to the 2SC2879 is like comparing apples to oranges.

The FET is much better for RF use because they are much faster with less loss, thus less heat generated. The FET does not have the poor grounding and oscillations associated with bi-polar transistors which is another plus.

The Palomar 250FET uses 2 of the ERF7530 and produces peak power of 200 watts.

The Palomar 450FET uses 4 of the ERF7530 and produces peak power of 400 watts.

Intial feedback reports are all excellent.

So I don't know what you're talking about when you say the ERF7530 is good for only 20 watts ? Get a clue.

As for the IRF7530, that transistor has nothing to do with the products being discussed.

The Magnum SX-175 'Power Cabinet' uses two ERF-7530 MOSFET's. The last time I talked to Sam Lewis of RF Limited/Magnum Int'l - he said that they also have a four ERF-7530 amp in the works too.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if they came up with a larger amp still. After all, RF Limited are the mfr of the EKL brand - that makes the ERF series of MOSFETs.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated