• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for pickup HF rig for 20/40m

CB590

W9WDX Member
Jun 29, 2016
Trenton Nj
www.590dx.com
Anyone have suggestions on a 20 or 40 m rig for my pickup truck? I have an Alinco SR8T for base that cost me $470 new, but want something maybe with just 20/40m for my pickup..

Cheaper the better.. 50w and up preferred..

MFJ makes low power single band ssb radios 75 through 2 meters. You can Google that. Heathkit did back i in the day but those were tube rigs.

I used to run the MFJ 20m ssb radio mobile long time ago and they work surprisingly well.

Reactions: wavrider
Those MFJ radios are low power and not very mobile friendly. The only monoband or dual band radios you are going to find are VHF/UHF or 10/12m export radios. There is no market for something like a 20/40m radio. It would cost pretty much the same as a low end HF radio with next to nothing for coverage for that price. Your best bet is to look for a decent used HF mobile radio and enjoy all bands from 80m up to perhaps 70cm.

AS CK posted best bet is find used HF rig with ATU and enjoy the bands.

With that said a friend of mine as some of the MFJ mono band SSB transceivers and they work rather well.

Low power output but receive sensitivity is OK and audio is good.
But for the price of just one of the mono banders you can add a few more $$$ and have full HF coverage.

Example I just picked up a Kenwood TS-50 for $200.00 small compact and full HF coverage. Menu driven but not my cup of tea I like big knob radios ( behave BJ):sneaky:
But for the price I picked it up for a back up rig to the other back up rigs.

I have been searching for a good TS-50.... nice price!
I got one when they first came out. It was a very good mobile rig. Very easy to operate as the menus were set and forget. I had no engine noise with it. If it had a remote head I would still have it!! I went to a 706 MK2 primarily for the remote head. With that I have to use the noise blanker when the engine is running and it is not nearly as simple to use when mobile.

Why not something like a used TS-480 or FT857? Or a 817 with an amplifier if you are an outdoors type of guy. That way if you need to pop the radio out to sit on the picnic table while camping its easy and does not draw a lot of power.

Reactions: 2RT307
http://www.qrpkits.com/bitx20a.html

bitx20acase1.jpg

bitx20acase2.jpg

http://www.qrpkits.com/index.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HF-6-Band-3-15W-HF-TRANSCEIVER-QRP-SSB-CW-Dual-
mode-KN-850-KN850-/121514100347?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

27_6.jpg

IC-718.

I have been running one in my truck for 8 years, picked it up used for $300
Hey Bow! I put my 718 in my oickup for a bit. Also did a Kenwood TS-430. The size of the rig is actually ok in a pickup.

Brett

I think your best bet would be to find an affordable all band HF radio. Who says you might not change your preferred bands later? They really aren't that expensive, and is more convenient in the long run.
The 'sticky' part of used radios is that you just don't know what you're getting till you got it, you know? I like bargains too! Just make sure it's a bargain...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated