• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looks like this guy caught a little break...Fine reduced

Yep. The guy running 10kw deadkey on 80 is more legal then the same guy running 10kw on 11.
Now I get it.

I didn't say that…

I said the difference is a licensed operator can own and use a powerful amp like that at his station, he just can't exceed the legal power limit of his license class when using the amp.

Legal limits: 1500 watts for Extra and General class, 200 watts tech class.

If he does, than he is in clear violation of the rules.

The CBer cannot have an amplifier in his possesion even if it is not hooked up at his station. This is a violation of the CB rules which are clear on amplfier usage for CBs with no gray area.

What part of all that don't you understand?

Last edited:
Good luck collecting.
They have been trying to get a fine out of Ira Jones for years now for not letting them inspect his station, he is still broadcasting live on 27.165 daily.
Two field agents showed up with local law enforcement the last time and he told them to F-Off.
I understand they left the enforcement letter sitting on his front porch.......

Jeff

I'd love to see something like that on an episode of COPS.

So what is being said is that any non licensed radio user cannot legally possess an amp for whatever use they deem fit. Can you please post where it's specifically states this. Just curious. I find it hard to believe that one without license can't possess an amp at all if he/she isn't licensed. The FCC isn't stupid and already knows what they are coming for before they ever come and most of the time know more about what is going on than the person that is being visited. But owning and owning/using something are 2 different things completely correct me if I am wrong please. Not trying to be an A-hole here, just want to know the truth. Thanks.

You should hear what goes on the Licensed Ham frequencies, ie 14313khz or 80 meters.
I dont hear the same nastyness on 38 some hear, I was working ch 38 and the folks are quite professional, getting plenty of contacts etc.. no issues.

I do think 11 meters should be converted to something like HAM but open, and then people can just buy ICOMs etc.. and use it legit, clean transmits etc.. 11m is ISM anyhow as well.
The sad thing is 10 meters is Dead, yet 11 meters is happening with lots of activity going on across the band.
I just finished making contact with barbados on my barefoot 102 on ch 38. plenty to do if you do it clean.
For some reason Licensed HAM operators are ignoring 10 meters.

So what is being said is that any non licensed radio user cannot legally possess an amp for whatever use they deem fit. .

It would only be illegal to posses a RF amplifier if you operate or operated a CB radio station and had one in your possession since these are illegal to use in that manner and fall within the scope and enforcement of the FCC's jurisdiction. This would not apply if the CB operator also has the proper license to use an RF external amplifier as long as it is not attached to a CB radio.

No one ever said about John Q public possessing one in general being illegal as long as it is not being used for any other type of service that would fall under the FCC 's jurisdiction and it's usage would violate that particular service.

Using a amplifier for other type of transmitters maybe illegal as well since all radio and other transmission types fall under FCC regulation. i.e. Radio control airplanes, etc.

This is a radio forum ( DUH! ), so all of our comments are in the context for radio operators.

I posted this on post #1 of this thread. You can read the official Part 95 rules which you should. Here is a Government link from the Electronic Code of Federal regulations which contains all of the part 95 rules regarding CB usage including amplifiers.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?rgn=div6&node=47:5.0.1.1.5.4

§95.411 (CB Rule 11) power amplifiers
(a) You may not attach the following items (power amplifiers) to your certificated CB transmitter in any way:

(1) External radio frequency (RF) power amplifiers (sometimes called linears or linear amplifiers); or

(2) Any other devices which, when used with a radio transmitter as a signal source, are capable of amplifying the signal.

(b) There are no exceptions to this rule and use of a power amplifier voids your authority to operate the station.

(c) The FCC will presume you have used a linear or other external RF power amplifier if—

(1) It is in your possession or on your premises; and

(2) There is other evidence that you have operated your CB station with more power than allowed by CB Rule 10, §95.410.

(d) Paragraph (c) of this section does not apply if you hold a license in another radio service which allows you to operate an external RF power amplifier.

Reactions: 222DBFL
They have been trying to get a fine out of Ira Jones for years now for not letting them inspect his station, he is still broadcasting live on 27.165 daily.
Two field agents showed up with local law enforcement the last time and he told them to F-Off.
I understand they left the enforcement letter sitting on his front porch.......

And that is the issue....you puff your chest out like you are high and mighty, but then get sent home with your tail between your legs from the perpetrator no less. This only PROVES how cowardly the FCC can be. Instead they need to make a real example out of this fool instead of letting him make an example out of them.

Ira Jones Caught the attention of the FCC because he lives near a Fire Station and was causing interference to Public Safety frequencies.
It took them YEARS to bring ( should i say attempt) enforcement to this guy.
And He is still on the air YEARS later.
The City gave up and updated and revised their radio system at the firehouse and solved the interference problem on their own.

And this is pure crap right here. If a fool like him is causing interference on a fire dept band because he chooses to run a splattering radio into an even splattering amp, why should the fire dept have to revamp THEIR radios? What if someone died because Mr. Jones was causing interference to the fire dept's radios? He was warned more than once.

The city gave up because they are spineless pansies, plain and simple.

This guy is the worst of the worst, good job to the fcc for taking this guy down. Back in the early 1970's there was a house with a guy who was reported to run 50 watts of power, I'm not kidding he was putting out over 5-times the very generous (too generous I say) fcc limit. He was shunned by the community and most businesses in town refused to allow him (a known law breaker) in their stores. I was about 10-years old back then and us kids were always too scared to ride our bicycles on the street he lived on, you never know what a maniac like that was capable of.
I know a few times the townsmen would put on their ceremonial fcc attire (which included a tall pointed hat) and they'd burn a letter L (the L stood for Linear) right on his front yard while yelling stuff like "get out of our town watt chucker". Well the fcc finally got him and they gave him the chair powered by his own despicable illegal amplifier.

This guy is the worst of the worst, good job to the fcc for taking this guy down. Back in the early 1970's there was a house with a guy who was reported to run 50 watts of power, I'm not kidding he was putting out over 5-times the very generous (too generous I say) fcc limit. He was shunned by the community and most businesses in town refused to allow him (a known law breaker) in their stores. I was about 10-years old back then and us kids were always too scared to ride our bicycles on the street he lived on, you never know what a maniac like that was capable of.
I know a few times the townsmen would put on their ceremonial fcc attire (which included a tall pointed hat) and they'd burn a letter L (the L stood for Linear) right on his front yard while yelling stuff like "get out of our town watt chucker". Well the fcc finally got him and they gave him the chair powered by his own despicable illegal amplifier.

Hmmmmm.......he was running a whole 50 watts hey? :whistle:

Reactions: 222DBFL
Imteresting read, I'm pretty new here so go easy haha...
If anyone has access to QST magazine(if you're an arrl member) or arrl.org (non member area/no paywall) there used to be a monthly section on FCC enforcement.
I think its still there.
Anyway, it shows some of the things they are doing that are higher profile cases.
Personally, I think the FCC is more interested in being an auctioneer than an enforcement authority. Maybe they like that lobbyist money a little too much? ATT and Verizon know how to grease their skids.

The main thing I wanted to point out though is the process for FCC regulations.
They use a process called "notice and comment". This is a standard way of introducing rules, regulations etc in goverment and a lot of larger corporations have adopted similar processes through a "peer review" type scenario.
What that means is they come up with something and introduce it as a proposal, they then release it publicly for comment. The comments are taken into comsideration and the original proposal is either put in place as is, amended for further discussion, or amended and put in place. You have a say in every rule provided the comment has merit.
Oh and no, I'm not an FCC employee, laywer, or anything related so if I messed up my interpretation sorry. Not trying to be a know it all, Just that I've been a ham for years and I've helped out some local agencies in the past and read up a lot on this in the past. I'm an engineer so I get the technical, but the legal sometimes twists me up just like any other mere mortal...
I think originally the reasons for no amps on CB were in good spirit.
When the testing for ham radio was actually valid it meant you knew how to not interfere with others from your too wide signal, over modulated signal, splattering signal etc... It also meant you knew enough to not kill yourself opening your amp up(yes people do die from plate voltage) or start a fire because that 130 ft long antenna is drapped across a bunch of dead leaves in a branch or you know a little about the exposure of transmitting 1500 watts through that beam sitting directly level and aimed right at the neighbors 2nd floor bedroom 15 feet away.. haha.

I also have seen the same patterns everyone else has, where at least on the ham bands, the FCC has really taken the "self police" term to heart. They used to have field offices and teams that would work locally with law enforcement and citizens with complaints. Now a days I don't think they even bother. I have a friend who read me a ticket/notification of violation he got from an "official observer" for transmitting oit of band. Seriously? yeah, apparently he had his transmit set 4k wide on ssb (essb) and was right at the top of 80 meters. This official observer is just some clown with a sense of self importance and I don't think the letter was worth anything other than a good thing to use to wipe yr a$$ with.

Ok thats the longest post I've ever made on a forum so dont think I'll be that long winded. Didn't post it to offend anyone so don't take it that way, I can be just as wrong as anyone but it is all from real experiences or things I've read right off the FCC's pages.

I'd like to see the FCC update their regs. Not limited to but including a higher legal operating wattage, additional channels (10+?) and the use of FM legalized, like in the UK.

Reactions: LeapFrog

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated