• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

LOOKY!!! DX Engineering sells RM Italy AMPS

It seem like a lot of cash for so little RF power gain. Most ham rigs put out a solid 100 watts and will do it as long as necessary. I have one of the HLA 300's and I'm not really interested in fixing it. Still uses the MS1051 transistors. For me to get interested in an amplifier it would need to put out 400 watts dead key.

Some of the folks that run low power Flex 1500's and Elecraft K3's use them to get 100 watts out... supposedly they work pretty good when you don't drive them to full output, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the alternatives. Seems like there was a guy that had a website where he did a review on them and showed the spectral purity, IMD, and all that jazz.

Brett

Some of the folks that run low power Flex 1500's and Elecraft K3's use them to get 100 watts out... supposedly they work pretty good when you don't drive them to full output, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the alternatives. Seems like there was a guy that had a website where he did a review on them and showed the spectral purity, IMD, and all that jazz.

Brett

W8JI perhaps?

Reactions: Mudfoot
It's true that the RMItaly product line has increased the quality and functionality of the amps. Especially since they went for FCC approval, but paying $700.00 to $750 for an amp that only puts out 200 watts continuous is a bit of a waste.
I would spend the money on a good radio and a antenna rather than just blow it on an amplifier.

Reactions: Mudfoot
This is around $800. 800W PEP
https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/ame-al-811h

ame-al-811h_us_ml.jpg

Reactions: Tallman
As I mentioned befire, most of the people I have heard are running qrp rigs, and use the RM Italy amp to boost to 100 watts. I have never loaded my AL-80B with 5 watts, so I am not sure what the output would be. I have also heard that a lot of these guys are space limited, so a full size amp takes up too much space.

Brett

As I mentioned befire, most of the people I have heard are running qrp rigs, and use the RM Italy amp to boost to 100 watts. I have never loaded my AL-80B with 5 watts, so I am not sure what the output would be. I have also heard that a lot of these guys are space limited, so a full size amp takes up too much space.

Brett

Last edited:
It's true that the RMItaly product line has increased the quality and functionality of the amps. Especially since they went for FCC approval, but paying $700.00 to $750 for an amp that only puts out 200 watts continuous is a bit of a waste.
I would spend the money on a good radio and a antenna rather than just blow it on an amplifier.

They have their place. I almost bought an apache labs anan 10e and with an Elecraft KXPA100 amp....yeah a $700 2 pill. At that time the price difference between the anan 10e and anan 100 was about $700. Six in one hand and a half dozen in the other.

They have their place. I almost bought an apache labs anan 10e and with an Elecraft KXPA100 amp....yeah a $700 2 pill. At that time the price difference between the anan 10e and anan 100 was about $700. Six in one hand and a half dozen in the other.

It's only money, some people have plenty of it.

As I mentioned befire, most of the people I have heard are running qrp rigs, and use the RM Italy amp to boost to 100 watts.
Brett
I thought the whole reason for running QRP is to make contacts with low power.
Doesn't hanging a power amp behind QRP sort of defeats the purpose?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated