• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Low AM audio Galaxy Saturn

CRZNYT

Sep 13, 2016
Hey guys I just picked up a Galaxy Saturn that has low audio out on AM.
I guess the last owner sent it to a tech for a upgrade in the audio department and it sounds great I understand on SSB but there is little to no audio out on AM.
I have sent it to a buddy of mine and he is at a loss right now, I guess there were traces on the board that were broken but repaired, the finals were replaced at some point, the PA also does not work, the audio chip itself is fine, AM regulator has been replaced, voltage regulator replaced, and the board is blackened right rear corner so that is why he thinks the parts were replaced.
The guy I got it from said the last guy (tech?) did a audio upgrade LOL so here I am with a great sounding SSB rig but no audio out on AM.
Any help would be great.
Cheers

I guess the last owner sent it to a tech for a upgrade in the audio department and it sounds great I understand on SSB but there is little to no audio out on AM.
I have sent it to a buddy of mine and he is at a loss right now, I guess there were traces on the board that were broken but repaired, the finals were replaced at some point, the PA also does not work, the audio chip itself is fine, AM regulator has been replaced, voltage regulator replaced, and the board is blackened right rear corner so that is why he thinks the parts were replaced.
The guy I got it from said the last guy (tech?) did a audio upgrade LOL so here I am with a great sounding SSB rig but no audio out on AM.
Any help would be great.
Cheers
sounds like a super wackypac radio.cant tell without pictures

Reactions: 222DBFL
Pics. The more the better. It will help the guys here help you!! All anyone can do at this point is guess. Post as many photos as you can. This will truly help us help you.

CRZNYT, if the symptom were NO am audio, then it might be a bit simpler to give you a place to start looking, but with some audio getting through, but at a low level, the list widens right up to the point where a tech will need to actually trace the audio through its path to see where it's losing its mojo.

If you sent it to someone and they are at a loss, then they do not know how to trace an audio signal through a radio, and hopefully you are not paying professional rates for your friend to look at your radio.

my only advice here is to send the radio to a real tech.

Im willing to bet that at least one of the reasons you didn't do that in the first place is because of the tremendous cost of shipping this beast.
am i right?

well, I know that this isn't necessarily helpful to you right now, but i want to put this out there for everyone else that is looking at buying one of these radios.

Galaxy Saturn base stations were never built to last, and they are all getting very old by now. the MAIN reason people sell them is that they don't work and are too expensive to ship anywhere.

a good portion of the local work i get is on these beasts and i am so sick of working on them because they are just not reliable.

all i can say to those that have dreamt their whole lives about eventually getting one is to get a new dream.

do not buy old galaxy radios from anyone.
they were terrible with quality control when they were new and now they are mostly basket cases.

i do hope you get yours fixed, but it's going to cost you.
LC

Actually they are not all that bad to ship it cost me $26 to have it shipped a pretty long way, so shipping is not a reason for not getting it fixed.
As for the tech he did not charge me a cent because he could not fix it, he is actually pretty good but there had been extensive work done before it got to him. So really the other person could have changed how things were wired.
I will try and get some pics of the board but I may just sell it as a tech special, this is by no means my dream radio it was just a goof around radio I have real radio's for serious DX.
Thanks for the help.
Cheers CRZNYT

Any help would be great.
Cheers

How much is the RF power output on AM and what is the the number on the echo board pcb? The Galaxy Saturns are not all the same and problems arise when the incorrect schematics are used.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.