• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Low band noise floor

HomerBB

Jan 4, 2009
Rogers, Ar
I have been enjoying the propagation properties of the lower HF bands although unable to work 160m, yet. However, as you know, the noise level is is proportionally greater as I descend through the bands.
Other than putting up a loop (give me time), how can I most effectively address this using a 80m doublet?
It is in my mind to begin to stretch as many wires throughout my lawn as I can, but is this effective for a doublet?

Now, for an embarrassing display of ny post-11 meters ignorance. I understand the concept of a separate transmitting and receiving antennas setup, and of the one time popular use of separate transmitter and receiver. However, I am less sure of how to do this with a transceiver like the IC 746.
And, I like to homebrew antennas, so some of the receiving antennas would require a new learning experience.

Homer,
I took the easy way to build a beverage and bought a kit from here.
https://remoteqth.com/two-wire-beverage.php
I have a 300' ne/sw through the woods that I use mainly for 40m. Makes 40 more pleasant to listen to but it is of course directional.
You have to read through the whole page and wiki to understand the options they offer. Mine is by directional and the unused wire is automatically terminated. They have a schmatic for a switch box that I built also.

Reactions: HomerBB
HomerBB,
Two antennas I use are a 40m & 80m DB made by IAC or a well built G5RV built by HF antennas that can be brought on ebay the 102' one is the best one. Reason both have a great signal to noise ratio an a lot of gain, so you can drop the RF gain back and still hear the weak signals well, I have tested antennas for years and years and these two antennas have always works extremely
well on receive and transmit for my needs...............73s,,,,,,,,,,,,,kb6hrt

HomerBB,
Two antennas I use are a 40m & 80m DB made by IAC or a well built G5RV built by HF antennas that can be brought on ebay the 102' one is the best one. Reason both have a great signal to noise ratio an a lot of gain, so you can drop the RF gain back and still hear the weak signals well, I have tested antennas for years and years and these two antennas have always works extremely
well on receive and transmit for my needs...............73s,,,,,,,,,,,,,kb6hrt
Thanks! I'll look into them. Some days are better than others, but when it's bad, it's real bad.

Reactions: 2RT307
I run a 40 meter delta loop, and an end fed random wire. Both go into my tuner, and I can switch between the two. A lot of times, I will transmit on the loop and switch to the end fed to receive. I can make 75 meters with the end fed, but the loop is too short to tx there. No way is my yard big enough to play on 160 though!

Brett

I've got an 80 meter loop up about 30 feet horizontal right now. You've been here, Brett, and know my yard isn't big enough for a 160m. I hope to figure sinething out soon, although I have tuned 160 into my loop.

Reactions: 2RT307
I've got an 80 meter loop up about 30 feet horizontal right now. You've been here, Brett, and know my yard isn't big enough for a 160m. I hope to figure sinething out soon, although I have tuned 160 into my loop.
Do a sloper from your neighbor's tower. ;)

Brett

A Beverage is the way to go. Pick up a couple six-packs of your favorite Beverage, put them to their intended use, and pretty soon you'll forget all about "noise floors". I usually fall asleep on my wife's "noise, clean floor".

(She can't say "nice"; it sounds like "noise".)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.