• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Maco Big Dog Antennas

Riverman

Nov 12, 2013
Just curious if anyone is using a Maco Laser 500, Flat 8, or M108. Each has a 40 ft boom length and 18 dB of gain.
Holy Cow.

Last edited:

Don't believe that 18db gain claim from 8 elements on a 40ft boom, its hogwash,
not as hogwash as JO GUNN's 25db from 8 elements on a 37ft boom.

Well, shoot. What about the old Moonraker 4 and its 16.5 ft boom and 14.5 dB gain?

And that is assuming optimum spacing for said antennas...
The DB

The sound you hear is that of my bubble bursting. I love reading all those glowing numbers in antenna specs and daydreaming. Now I'm told they are usually something less. Often, a lot less.

Last edited:
So if my buddy stacks two Laser 500's he won't have 36 dB of gain resulting in a power multiplier of 120x? All he'll have is 80 feet of boom, 28 elements, an expensive tower, expensive rotor, and one very unhappy wife?

Stacking properly increases gain by 3dB. Also you would NEVER stack two antennas inline making an 80 foot boom from two 40 foot booms. Stacking is done either side by side or one above the other depending on the antennas and the desired resultant pattern.

Also you would NEVER stack two antennas inline making an 80 foot boom from two 40 foot booms. Stacking is done either side by side or one above the other depending on the antennas and the desired resultant pattern.

LOL. I'm a little slow on the uptake occasionally, Captain, but not that slow. I just meant 80 total feet of boom length. Trying to mount two of those monsters end to end would be a feat of engineering only a handful of good 'ol boys with plenty of beer would be capable of. Am guessing the resulting radiation pattern would be somewhat skewed as well. :ROFLMAO:

Not everything is as it seems and I heard the pop all the way over here. FYI I knew someone that ran the Laser 500 (was called Wilson back then), he had it on a 30 foot tower and it just cleared his room and went over his neighbors home.

Heck, even if the performance wasn't quite what it was cracked up to be that thing still must've looked darn cool. Bet he was the envy of the airways back then. Hope he had a Browning Golden Eagle or Tram Titan attached to it.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated