• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Made a Moxon

HomerBB

Jan 4, 2009
Rogers, Ar
I decided to finally put together a Moxon for 11 meters. I ran out of time today to tune it up a bit more, but I did get it together and in the air. A few preliminary transmissions confirm it works. I will not be able to confirm the fabled back door until tomorrow, or perhaps later depending on the weather. I used the Moxon Generator to determine the dimensions and went forward with them. The only analyzer readings I got were at 10' off the ground and without any fine tuning.

Parts:

Mox005_zpsd0463e72.jpg
Mox006_zps7211f139.jpg

Mox007_zps32492156.jpg
Mox008_zps26e2b367.jpg

Mox009_zps79fd00f7.jpg

I didn't realize I had not snapped a photo of the top of the finished spreader plate until now. I'll get it done as soon as I can.

In the air, at 10' to check it out, and at 36':

Mox011_zps74f86ccd.jpg
Mox025_zps202b2418.jpg

Mox029_zps1de82a10.jpg
Mox024_zps57538e0e.jpg

Mox028_zps217db6b5.jpg
Mox026_zps9a7d448b.jpg

Analyzer reading at 10':

Mox012_zps6df576c1.jpg
Mox014_zps4f38ab52.jpg

Mox016_zps3d9585ca.jpg
Mox021_zps7a5a9f58.jpg

Mox022_zps77425533.jpg
Mox023_zps77480eb3.jpg

As can be seen, it is a bit low on the frequency at ten feet.

Yep. It has no boom, and I have no rotator, so I added that little lever on it to which to tie the cord.

Last edited:
Homer Looks great.

A friend of mine, apartment dweller in New Orleans, uses moxons in his second floor living room. ( Yes he is single).

He swears by them for a small foot print two element wide banded wire yagi he states the performance is better than expected.

Parts list would be great HOMER, the toilet flange I recognize, the looks like 3/4 " EMT also.

I'll do a parts list ASAP.

That was one of the eye openers for me - size.
I have made several 2 element 11 meter Yagis, and I wasn't prepared for how small this thing is by comparison.
Even a 1/4 wave GP seems larger by scale to this. Visually it is very umimposing. Using the materuials I used for this I doubt it weighs in over 5 - 6 lbs.

Both the Q2v4k, and the Moxon are mounted at the same feed point elevation. I will find it interesting to compare DX peformance to each other. Naturally, the Moxon will suffer locally with horizontal polarization, bt all bets are off on DX. For a few minutes last night the Moxon was the better on receive over the Q2v4k by roughly the same margin as the Q2v4k was to the dipole.

Awesome!(y)

I especially would like some fine details on how you did the spacers and how you get them to slope up into the air like that.

I view this as the most challenging part for me when I go to construct one.

I don't want it to sag down!

I'll need a little more time to get my parts list organized, but here is a little more photo information.

Here is a photo of the top of the spreader plate. I have a 5 x 4.25" coax choke inline as can be seen.

It is easy to see the fishing poles extending from the tubes on the plate. I also moved my "rotator" handle onto which I tie my cord to the opposite side. This part of the construction is optional, but why I chose to do it is important. The Moxon has no boom and I did not wish to rotate it by tying off to one of the spreader poles. This emphasizes the difference in this style of construction over a Moxon, or other type Yagi, that has rigid tube elements that are supported by a rigid boom.

Mox035_zps7e11df16.jpg
Mox040_zpsad344bf5.jpg

Mox039_zps2bd4cf23.jpg
Mox038_zps0339b080.jpg

Mox042_zps8073ede3.jpg

Some beautiful antennas . . .

Parts list:

Four 10' fiberglass extendable fishing rods.

Four 1/2" x 12" aluminum (or your choice) tubes

Four 1/2" EMT pipe straps

Sufficient quantity of machine screws, nuts, and washers, etc.

One drywall hawk (or metal plate of your choice) 13" x 13" with center handle holder cut out

One toilet floor flange I chose the type that has internal 3" and external 4" diameters

One 3" x 1-1/2" PVC reducer bushing

One 1-1/2" x 24" PVC tube

Two 1/2" CPVC (hot water) sections of pipe

Four 3/8" x 4' fiberglass rods

At least 36.6' of wire - #16 stranded is what I used.

Two UV resistant 10" or longer cable ties.

Eight small 4" long UV resistant cable ties.

A free copy of the MoxGen program from online. Your wire size will determine the exact length of your elements. My

directions below are adjusted to the use of #16 stranded wire.

Instructions:

1. Using a drill bit to drill out a starter hole I then used a jig saw to remove the center of the drywall hawk to allow for

the mast pipe to pass through the center of my spreader plate.

2. Aligned the toilet floor flange over the center of the aluminum plate and using a center punch I marked the holes for the

machine screws that will hold the floor flange to the aluminum plate. Be sure that two of the flange screw holes on each

side of the flange lip are aligned with the edges of the spreader plate. See the top of the spreader plate photo.

3. Drill out the marked holes and fasten the floor flange to the plate with machine screws and nuts(stainless Steel screws

are the preferred type, but because this is not a radiating part of the antenna dissimilar materials are not of so much

concern).

4. Next insert the 3" x 1-1/2" reducer bushing into the bottom of the floor flange. Based upon whether you are going to

allow the mast pipe to run all the way through or simply mount the antenna on the top of the mast you decide whether to

remove the stop lip one the inside of the bushing. Because I want to potentially use the Moxon beneath an Omni vertical

antenna I removed the stop lip. either glue in the bushing with PVC cement, or use short screws to hold it in the floor

flange.

5. Flatten one end of the four 1/2" x 12" tubes up to 3/4" using a bench vice, or a hammer. Drill a hole in this flattened

part of the antenna as seen in the photo of the top of the spreader plate. Four of the machine screws holding the flange on

the plate are used to fasten the end of the tubes to the plate. Observing the top of the plate in my photo you can note that

the four tubes are spaced widely apart on two opposite sides of the plate and more narrowly on the other two opposite sides

of the plate.

6. Measuring about 5" up the four tubes from the flattened ends make a mark. At this mark measure toward the same edge of

the plate 1-3/4". Two of the tubes will be fastened at this distance from that edge with one of the EMT straps on each of

the two tubes. This is the side that I put the driven wire on. Follow the same procedure for the two tubes on the opposite

side of the plate measuring 1" from the edge. Fasten these two tubes here. These two tubes are on the reflector wire side.

7. Measure 4' from the ends of the CPVC pipes and cut them resulting in four 4' long pieces. Insert each of the four 3/8" x

4' fiberglass rods into each of the four spreader tubes. These are for reinforcement of the poles. Placing the for CPVC

tubes over each of these FB rods. This is for additional rigidity and reinforcement. I wrapped a few wraps of black vinyl

electrical tape around the CPVC tubes right at the point where they exit the spreader tubes. This causes the fishing poles to

fit more perfectly over these reinforcement rods/tubes.

8. Slide the extended fishing poles over the CPVC pipes. I found that each of the tubes fit differently on the fishing pole

because each of the poles had slightly differing internal diameters. I cut small amounts off the ends of the tubes as needed

to allow the fishing poles to slide all the way up to the spreader tubes and over the vinyl tape . I then used black vinyl

tape over the point where the fishing rods met the spreader tubes. Use the tape on the joints of the fishing rod extensions

to prevent them some slipping back inside themselves.

9. Measure out from the center of the spreader plate center hole 83.5" and mark this point on the four fishing poles. On the

two reflector poles move outward from these marks another 6" and cut these two poles at this point. On the two driver poles

move out 3" longer and cut them here.

10. Using a file put a notch in the outer ends of all four poles.

11. I used a 1-1/2" x 1/2" piece of PVC for a feed point insulator for the driven wire and two 1-1/2" x 8-32 SS machine

screws with four flat washers and two nuts to make the connection points for the two halves of the driven wore and the coax

feed line. Use whatever type of insulator here you wish, but limit the distance between the two driven wires to a small

unspecified distance apart. Holes must be drilled through each end of the insulator for you SS screws to pass through and

hold your wires and coax at the feed point of the antenna.
12. See the attached dimensions graphic for the length of the wires. This length is the sum total of the two parts of the

wires folded back and the length across the wide side if the spreaders. For the two driven wires the lengths need to be at

least four inches longer than exactly lengths required in order to turn them back into loops for the ends.
After the wire

length for the driven element is determined and cut to length + 4", divide that wire into two exact pieces by folding it

exactly in half and cutting it in the center of your fold. You now have the two halves of your driven element plus 2" each.

13. Strip one end of each driven wire and solder terminal eyelets onto them or turn them back and twist inot an eye and

solder the twist for a good secure loop. Put this end under each of the SS machine screws heads between two of the washers

on your insulator. Tighten this up on the opposite side of the insulator with one of the nuts on each of the screws. This

will leave enough of the length of the SS machine screws onto which the remaining washers and two nuts will go. It is here

you will attach your feed line.

14. Cut the remaining element according to the results from MoxGen, or the dimensions graphic I posted if using #16 stranded

wire. This length must have at least 2" extra for folding back at its two ends and for adjusting for fine tuning if needed.

15. When these tow element wires - driven and reflector - are cut, folded back o themselves at the ends and secured with

small cable ties use the two 10" cable ties to thread thru the end loops of each end of the wire elements. pull the cable

ties through to slightly over 4" length when the cable tie is compressed flat. This is the insulators for the ends of the

elements where they turn back toward each other.

16. Using a permanent marker measure back from the very ends of the loops on the wire elements the exact lengths required by

the dimensions either generated by your MoxGen program, or on the graphic I posted. This is shorter for the driven wire and

longer for the reflector wire.

17. Now put your wires on the fiberglass fishing pole spreaders. Each of the marks you just made on the wire elements are

where the notches on the ends of the spreaders will be placed on the wires. This will result in the pole spreaders being

pulled into an upward arch providing the tension necessary to stretch the wire elements into useful radiating conductors.

If you used the reinforcements I suggested, or something of similar integrity, in side the first 4' of the fishing pole

spreaders you'll have all the play you need in the spreaders without any concern for drooping. I used wraps of electrical

tape at the ends of the spreaders to prevent the wires from slipping. When I have finished my fine tuning I will squeeze

some silicone into the ends of each spreader and out and over the wires and pole ends to form a more permanent anchor for my

wires to the spreaders.

I have experienced the same I have read of others using the dimensions from MoxGen. The default tune for SWR and resonance

lands lower on the band in the upper 26MHz range. Shortening of each of the element ends by evenly proportionate amounts

should result in raising the resonant frequency.

dimensions_zps94e07bc1.jpg

Ask any questions to clarify anything that may be unclear to you.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated