• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mag Mounts vs Power?

Robb

Honorary Member Silent Key
Dec 18, 2008
Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
I've read how mag mounts are rated for 3,000 watts of power. Like the Wilson 5000 mag mount for example. But would you trust your amp to use that skinny little piece of coax to carry that much power? What about the amount of grounding - a capacitive coupling type ground - antenna will provide? Surely; there is a practical limit to what one would put through one of these things under these conditions.

Let's say we are running a radio with a 100 watt PEP into a Wilson 1000 mag mount. Although the coax and coil of the antenna can handle that much power pretty easily; is it wise to run that much into it with a 5 inch diameter magnetic base? Just how long can one expect to use a radio with no real ground - except for capacitive coupling - before damage can be expected at 100 watts PEP?
If at all?

:unsure:

Wise? No idea, although I've done it with a 100 watts with out any problems. There are limits! I think one of those limits with a mag-mount is the size of the "capacitor" it and the sheet metal of the vehicle makes. As in what's it's voltage rating? I have no idea what that would be, and quite frankly, I'm not going to try to find out with -MY- vehicle! But you be my guest with -your- vehicle. :)
The amount of power any feed line can handle depends a great deal on how 'tuned' the antenna is, resonant and impedance wise. I've used RG-58 at 1000 to 1500 watts with no significant problems. But, the antenna was well tuned for where I was using it (frequency). Would it always handle that kind of power? Of course not. But neither will 6" heliax. Ask the cell tower installers, don't take my word for it. Oh well.
- 'Doc

(And no, cell towers don't use that kind'a power.)

Thanks Doc that answered part of it.

I suppose I should re-phrase my question...
How can the claim to say - this antenna can see that kind of wattage - when the capacitive coupling won't permit anything close to that extreme number given for wattage?

Is this fair to advertize this product this way?
I think I'm going to give them a call and ask their techs 'what fer'.

i would run anything past 500 into a wilson anything
you want to trust your amp to that little bitty coax
not me

Coax size has very little to do with power handling ability, and more to do with attenuation and loss. rg58 will handle legal limit at hf at reasonable lengths with little concern into a well tuned antenna.

PR

A friend runs 1500 carrier through a Wilson 5000 on a daily basis, 3 years so far with no problems. Personally I would prefer a solid mounted antenna, but they do work....

No idea how pertinent it may be but this is something to think about.
Most if not all manufacturer's claims for things deal with that 'thing' being operated in the best way possible in the best conditions possible. It is as optimal as it gets. I don't think I've ever had the 'best' conditions, or situations, or tunes for any antenna I've ever used. Something is always going to be not exactly absolutely 'right'. So, I tend to take most claims with some 'salt'. Typically, maybe half of whatever is claimed, sort of. Naturally, that varies a lot depending on what you're talking about. But, using less than what's claimed for something is always a fairly good idea.
Then there's the thing about advertising that if it's bigger'n'better', then it must be better for me. Right? Uh ha, maybe, but probably not. An antenna that can handle 50 Kw isn't really going to do you any practical good at all if you don't plan to run at least close to that power level. If all you ever plan to put through the thing is 1000 watts, that extra 49 Kw capability is absolutely worthless to you. So why even bother? It does sell antennas though!
I figure my butt deserves a $40K toilet seat. But not when I gotta pay for it! I figure there's a 'lesson' in that somewhere...
- 'Doc

i have ran a 2by6 thru a wilson 5000 for 4 years ,then ran a 2by8 thru it for 2 years.now i bought a roof mount and i am running a 2by12 thru it .all on the factory coax .
i am not long winded mind you but this antenna can take the heat ,no doubt about it .
now since i went with a bigger box i did pick up a puck mount and a 10k but the weather has haulted the install so i am still using the wil 5k drill thru .

i have heard stories of 16 pills thru a wilson 5k.stories,no first hand experience .
my 2by12 can hit 3k peak or 1400rms and i put that thru the wil 5k with no ill effects.only time will tell.

running the mag all those years left me with this .
dsc00454g.jpg

By null, shot with FDMAVICA at 2009-09-09

but i consider that pretty minor for over 6 years of mag mount use .i own this truck 7 years.and when and if i do trade in its too old now to even care what the roof looks like .

besides i tell everyone concerned about mag mount damage the same tale.
"your gonna get raped when you trade it in no matter what the roof looks like "so stop worrying about it .and unless i am up on the step i cant even see the roof...lol....now cars would be different .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?