• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnetic Loop Antennas

Greatvalue1

Aug 20, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I was wondering if anyone has used or built a Magnetic Loop Antenna for 11 meter base station?

I looking for an alternative to my stealthy 102" whip that works pretty well concerning its limitations.

I've seen on the Y-tube that an operator made one with only 6 feet of 3/8 copper tubing, and this seems right up my ally.

Home Owners Association is the problem.

Gain? Rejection? Direction? Just some of the questions I have.

I built one just for fun, it worked very well for the size it was.
They are easy to build.
I was living in a ground floor Apartment at the time and no place to put an antenna, I used it on a small table on the patio.
It worked well enough to get a signal on the air, as far as rejection and gain, if you have nothing ...well you get the idea :)
They do work, and it is surprising how well for the size.
If you like to build stuff i encourage you to give it a try just for the fun factor.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/amateur-radio-antennas/137947-home-brew-10-12-meter-portable-loop.html

http://www.worldwidedx.com/tuners-mics-meters-other-accessories/135805-capacitor.html

http://www.worldwidedx.com/amateur-radio-antennas/108446-magnetic-loop-antennas.html

And here is Just a Loop.
http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/82386-11-meter-loop-antenna.html

Jeff

So disturbing . . .
sAng_angry2.gif

On the list:

Moxon
one of these loops
Redo V4k w/changes
All metal Astroplane

and more.

I am having a anxiety attack.
sSic_ill.gif

The best capacitor is what you can find, I used a tuning cap from a small antenna tuner i bought at a ham fest.
The larger the plate spacing the higher the voltage it will handle, that means it will handle more power.
I never ran more than 100 watts into the one i built.
One thing to think about is loss, you want every connection to be as low loss as possible.
If you search the net about Magnetic loops and read up on some of the antennas that have been built it will give you some Ideas, like the Coke Can cap that Alex, PY1AHD came up with:
4952d1307977657-magnetic-loop-antennas-coke-loop.jpg

Jeff

Does a magnetic loop behave more like a horizontal or vertical antenna? Am trying to picture if it can be used for both DX and talking to locals. Thanks.

A magnetic loop antenna responds to the magnet component of an electromagnetic field commonly called a radio signal. That field may be vertical, horizontal, or anything in between just like the electrical component of a regular antenna. The magnetic component is less prone to noise which is why they make good receiving antennas.

A magnetic loop antenna responds to the magnet component of an electromagnetic field commonly called a radio signal. That field may be vertical, horizontal, or anything in between just like the electrical component of a regular antenna. The magnetic component is less prone to noise which is why they make good receiving antennas.

Thanks, Captain. Nearly all pics show magnetic loops being used in a vertical orientation. Would they not work better for DX if positioned horizontally like is recommended for dipoles?

Positioning an antenna for horizontal polarity simply allows you to take advantage of what is known as "ground gain". This is an additional 5-8 dB of gain obtained by combining the direct wave and a reflected wave that bounces off the ground and combines somewhere far away. A vertical antenna does not have ground gain. Since a radio signal twists and turns many unpredictable times in it's journey from point A to point B it is impossible to predict what the polarity will be when the signal is received. It is for this reason that I do not believe the old idea that verticals are for local and horizontal is for DX. This seems to come mainly from the CB crowd just like a lot of other untrue yet universally accepted myths.Also having owned dual polarity antennas in the past I can attest that there are many times when one station has to be vertical while the other is horizontal in order to maintain contact. Sometimes you may have to switch polarity several times during a single contact in order to maximize the signal, either incoming or outgoing, because of the constantly shifting of polarity due to propagation.

Good magnetic loop info: http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...t2O-Q7Jag0-Mixg&bvm=bv.92291466,d.cWc&cad=rja

Since a radio signal twists and turns many unpredictable times in it's journey from point A to point B it is impossible to predict what the polarity will be when the signal is received. It is for this reason that I do not believe the old idea that verticals are for local and horizontal is for DX.

Back in the day the only reason that horizontal was recommended for DX was because most local sources of interference tended to be vertically oriented, thus horizontal usually resulted in less noise in your receive.

The only reason vertical was recommended for local was because most mobile antennas were vertical so your base antenna would also have to be vertical for local comms, but it didn't matter for DX due to the twisting you already described.

At least that's the way I remember it, the theory about one propagating better than the other came later. It seems as though much of the commonly accepted advice regarding CB was originally based on fact but has been distorted way beyond its original intent over the years.

Reactions: Bassbug2000
Yes the old idea was that since MOST people had groundplanes that were vertical anybody wanting to use a beam would have to be vertical to talk to them locally and to mobiles. Horizontal antennas however take advantage of ground gain as I mentioned above and they are also easier to stack in the case of multiple antennas on a single mast.

Back in the day the only reason that horizontal was recommended for DX was because most local sources of interference tended to be vertically oriented, thus horizontal usually resulted in less noise in your receive.

Nope. The reason to use horizontal is to take advantage of ground reflection gain. Its a few dBi of gain given for free.

I know that hams use horizontal beams to take advantage of ground gain now, but was this something that was known to CBers 30+ years ago when the horizontal for DX recommendations were first made? I never heard anything about it back then.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.