• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum 1012 Anywhere?

im not expecting much from them,, I did find 2 of them new in the box untouched with chargers for $250 for the pair shipped.

got the pair of 1012's the other day,, had some free time yesterday afternoon to play with them, I went out on my deck and was actually able to here some skip on 38 so I grabbed one of my wire 1/2 wave vertical antenna's and went down by the local lake a few minutes from home,, strung up the 1/2 wave wire in a tree about 25' and called out for about an hour,, made 2 contacts to Georgia,, the receive is actually pretty good. battery life with some rechargables was fine after an hour of calling out it was still going strong. output on these was right at 3watts pep on ssb and about 7 pep on am on the battery pack

last night I tried it with a local that is about 2 miles from be, I was able to talk with him no problem from my house to his base with the small rubber duck antenna

I happy with them for what they are!!

I was able to talk to Bill one time, chicago to cen cal. I was on my base station, he was using a hand held ssb radio ( do not remember the brand) on a external antenna.
The band was open and we had good conditions.
It is just another example of how a QRP radio can work dx when conditions are right.
Like any radio, they do have uses.
The antenna is often the limiting factor, I am sure that a handheld connected to a 4 element yagi would work well if the band is open, or you were talking to locals.

Jeff

I would not mind having one of the handheld's myself. Would be nice for monitoring my own transmissions and also for local use. Sounds like you made a good score there camaro1.

Reactions: binrat
I purchased a pair of the Cherokee AH100 SSB walkie talkies brand new years ago. One has never been used and is sitting in the box. The other has been used as a base, a mobile and as a portable. These are tremendously flexible units.

I got my hands on some 4 foot, Radio Shack, center loaded TNC telescoping antennas which I rig up on these with a BNC/TNC adapter. I can stand on a sand bar here in the lower Florida Keys with my AH100 and QSO the world.

For mobile use, I have a headset. For base use, I wired up a Turner +3 desk mic. People don't believe me when I tell them I'm talking to them on a walkie talkie with a Turner +3, but I am.

Personally, I really love these. Great little radios that really can do it all.

copper.com has them last time i checked
No. They are included in the multitude of vendors online that have them listed, but are consistantly 'Out of Stock' or 'Sold Out'.

Anyone who spent any short amount of time 'thinking' about getting one, (like me) completely missed the boat. They were on the market like a flash in the pan very briefly and now it has been years since I have seen any of the Magnum 1012s or its variants available. Very frustrating!

It actually surprises me greatly that there are NO 10 meter handheld radios available on the market despite the fact that 11 meter handheld CB radios are available almost anywhere radios are sold...even though they are a lesser desired product imo.

If there's a market for those, I really can't understand why there wouldn't be a market for a decent 10 meter handheld rig.

Really gotta scratch my head on that one.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.