• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum 257 HP - Sideband TX problem.

Hmmm, I was gonna make a suggestion on this issue but I will just shake my head instead. Won't be long and the Palomar will be toast, if he's lucky he won't blow the radio up too when the amp goes. All I can say is WOW.

And the problem even gets worse when you click on the link to Redmans where he bought the amplifier. They state and I quote,
"Each unit is FULLY tested Prior to shipping. These Units Hold SWR of 1.2 Or LESS

when tested with a RCI 2970 down to 24 MHZ and up to 31.999 with a MFJ264 1500 watt Dummy Load.

Completely stable thru all functions !!!"

You test a 200 watt amplifier with a 150 watt radio............BRILLIANT.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I don't care for Redman CB's work at all. He just hotrods stuff. His videos just induce erections in the typical dimwits that blow their government benefits on his crap.

'Look here Willie Bob... It's swinging 60 watts on my Dosey... Audiiiiioo check check, one two... three four.

Reactions: 1 person
There is a local op a hundred miles away (not really that local) that I talk to every day. He has a Magnum S9 HP (same output as the 257HP BTW) and he was using the wrong amp with it. I sent him to DNJ Radio and suggested he get the larger version of the Palomar 250HD/FET; the Palomar 450HD/FET.

fet450.gif

Palomar FET 450 High Drive Linear Amplifier, DNJ Radio

This amp can handle the Magnum HP radios just fine. You don't have to do anything except being sure that you aren't overdriving the radio's output into the amp. You don't have to put 100 watts into that amp either; even 60 or 70 watts PEP works just fine 'n dandy. IOW - DON"T overdrive the radio in order to get a few more watts out of the amp and end up destroying your radio in the process.

Last edited:
I guess I'll let y'all know when it goes out in this thread ... I'm interested myself.. price point isn't too bad though, so ain't going to hurt too bad.

Its becoming obvious this was more of a first project than a methodically planned setup. But as long as I keep getting loud sig reports from Nortg Carolina from California (taking advantage of a 7,500ft mtn ridge)... I'm happy with it.

Anyways, thanks to those that left objective criticism. Middle finger to the immature twats leaving hidden-punch line non-empirical quips.

WOW.... that's kinda like callin' the 'kettle black' isn't it?
If you intended to be critical of someone's post by calling them immature then why would you leave an immature post in reply?

There is a local op a hundred miles away (not really that local) that I talk to every day. He has a Magnum S9 HP (same output as the 257HP BTW) and he was using the wrong amp with it. I sent him to DNJ Radio and suggested he get the larger version of the Palomar 250HD/FET; the Palomar 450HD/FET.

fet450.gif

Palomar FET 450 High Drive Linear Amplifier, DNJ Radio

This amp can handle the Magnum HP radios just fine. You don't have to do anything except being sure that you aren't overdriving the radio's output into the amp. You don't have to put 100 watts into that amp either; even 60 or 70 watts PEP works just fine 'n dandy. IOW - DON"T overdrive the radio in order to get a few more watts out of the amp and end up destroying your radio in the process.

Stall84, all kidding aside this is some good advise right here. Upgrade to the Palomar 450 MOSFET amp, it will handle the power from the 257HP much better.

I don't care for Redman CB's work at all. He just hotrods stuff. His videos just induce erections in the typical dimwits that blow their government benefits on his crap.

'Look here Willie Bob... It's swinging 60 watts on my Dosey... Audiiiiioo check check, one two... three four.

He has an E-Bay name of Swedisimpi or some crap like that. Several years ago he was selling a Fatboy 1x4 (2290 x 2879's) and said it was a High Drive. When I questioned him on this he said it was a "special build" and could take up to a 10 watt input dead key.

With bad information like that I know I will never buy anything there, even if he is the only one selling that item.

I see his listings occasionally.

He uses deceptive business practices. Look at his items. You will see the same item listed with different prices. Some are totally outrageous. He just hopes that someone buys it for that price. He's selling a FC-30 frequency counter for around $150.

Then don't forget his "most beautiful meter in the world" he custom makes these stupid looking meters. Takes 2 wall warts to power them.

He talks the talk that swing, beep and echo lovers want to hear.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110910956342?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Last edited:
Well, he ain't all that bad.

I buy some of the things he has. Some are OK deals. I bought the 5-pin DIN to 4-pin converter plug -$5/shipped. Blue Ch LED, diodes, etc. He has some decent deals on silver-plated PL-259 connectors if you buy 10 at a time. Other stuff like that too.

Really cracks me up that he sells rubber dog $#!+, toilet paper with Obama's pictures on it, his own brand of hot sauce, and other weird stuff like that . . .

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.