• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum S9-175

IDIeselman

Oct 20, 2010
Lake Michigan
I have a chance to trade my TS500V and $100 for one and I'm kinda on the fence. I believe they are more radio than many people need or are willing to $pend the money on. Maybe the reason I can't find much on them other than the manufacturers notes. Looking for any imput on this radio, Likes,dislikes or anything you have to offer is appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

I think the biggest problem with hi power radios is the way they are tuned. Put an alignment on it with a moddest tune and let it eat. These radios are not as forgiving while trying to squeeze every last watt out of them as a Cobra 29. People over tune them, run them hot, blow them up and then blame the radio.

:unsure: That would be a whole bag of no good, The radio was purchased from and tuned by Sparky himself just over three years ago I'm told. As I understand it, It takes four times the power when transmitting to be a noted on the recieving end, So would it be safe to say everyone I talk to with the 500V I will be able to talk to with the S9 or am I lost here?

As I understand it, It takes four times the power when transmitting to be a noted on the recieving end,
In broad general terms, it takes a doubling of power (3db) to be percievable by most people. And it take 4 times the power (6db) to pick up an S unit.

I say general terms because some radios signal meter may be pretty loosley calibrated, and some people can audibly pick up on as little as 1-2 db in a controlled setting.

well that depends really. the s9-175 will be a nice all in one radio
id check what kinda power your seeing with the 500v then compare it
with the s9-175.this is the best advise i can give ya

Thanks for the help guys. Roger Dodger the link was very informational.

I'll go away now with my "Discussion of illegal CB stuff" So kd8dvr Can unbunch his Elitists panties.

A very, very interesting radio. CPU controlled, 175W PEP, 6 digit display, (sixth digit can be turned off). Some interesting TX audio features, can be programmed to do any frequency from 25.165 - 30.555 in separate bands. All modes. Nice! I like it! The only thing it doesn't do is repeater splits.

It's a nice radio as long as it's not overtuned and such, as 359 stated. It definitely has all the goodies though. Being able to have a little extra power "built-in" the radio makes it a snap to setup and run, no extra coax jumpers to run, extra power wires to run, etc. And if you ever decide to get into SSB, it's an extra bonus!

Thanks for the help guys. Roger Dodger the link was very informational.

I'll go away now with my "Discussion of illegal CB stuff" So kd8dvr Can unbunch his Elitists panties.

^ Now THAT... is funny! LOL (y)

A very, very interesting radio. CPU controlled, 175W PEP, 6 digit display, (sixth digit can be turned off). Some interesting TX audio features, can be programmed to do any frequency from 25.165 - 30.555 in separate bands. All modes. Nice! I like it! The only thing it doesn't do is repeater splits.

Hi Ed, how would you rate it against the s 45HP. Worth the extra money?

Bruce

Hi Ed, how would you rate it against the s 45HP. Worth the extra money? Bruce
You can't really compare them as they are two different animals. The S45HP has features that the S9-175 lacks such as repeater splits, and the 88.5Hz tone. The S9-175 runs 175W PEP vs the S45HP's ~+/- 75W PEP. The S45HP can be programmed as a true ham radio, and will tune the 10M band like one. The S9-175 must tune in 40 channel "bands". The S9-175 can be compared to the RCI Ranger 69FFC2, General Grant, the Galaxy DX 95/98 series, and even the Superstar SS158EDX (less the power). And all these radios will work 12M, the S45HP won't.

That said, if you're not a ham, (and don't intend to be one soon), then the S9-175 is the way to go. If you are a ham, you might prefer the S45HP, for it's features.

You can't really compare them as they are two different animals. The S45HP has features that the S9-175 lacks such as repeater splits, and the 88.5Hz tone. The S9-175 runs 175W PEP vs the S45HP's ~+/- 75W PEP. The S45HP can be programmed as a true ham radio, and will tune the 10M band like one. The S9-175 must tune in 40 channel "bands". The S9-175 can be compared to the RCI Ranger 69FFC2, General Grant, the Galaxy DX 95/98 series, and even the Superstar SS158EDX (less the power). And all these radios will work 12M, the S45HP won't.

That said, if you're not a ham, (and don't intend to be one soon), then the S9-175 is the way to go. If you are a ham, you might prefer the S45HP, for it's features.

Thanks Ed,

my radio work is normally on SSB so is the 175 as stable on SSB as the S 45HP?

Thanks Ed, my radio work is normally on SSB so is the 175 as stable on SSB as the S 45HP?
I don't have an S9-175 yet; mine is on order. However, it is microprocessor controlled, and I have not heard any complaints about the stability. I intend to use mine on both AM and SSB. Since it has many of the same features as the S45HP, it should be winning performer on both modes.

In reality, I need these 10M/export radios like I need a hole in the head. But my buddy Mike, VA3MPM and I have a friendly competition to see who can collect the most big 10M radios. This is a running joke with us. Not sure who's winning. We both have S45HP's, Superstar SS158EDX's, General Grants, HR2510's. He has several AT5555 variants (two AT5555 and two Alpha 10 Max 1000). I have one, and we are both ordering the CRT SS69000 (because it's cheap). We both need that rig like we need a stroke! :D (You can never have enough 10M/export radios!!!) I will have the S9-175, and the RCI Ranger 69FFC2, which he does not.

I will have all my 10M/export radios set up on a separate desk with a hutch/shelving unit to hold all the radios. The bottom line: He who dies with the most radios wins! ;) We are both highly experienced hams (me, 42 years, him, 25 years). Some locals hams think we are deranged, "playing with those CB's!!!". Yeah... it's called fun! They should try it some time! (Bunch of Pecksniffs!)

This does not include my amateur radios - several HF transceivers, 6M all mode radios, 2M all mode radios, and lot's of AM boat anchors, big "heavy metal" rigs, boat anchor receivers, big high-power AM transmitters, and some broadcast rigs, tuned to the ham bands. etc. Lot's of gear!!! The shack fills up my entire basement rec room, with three large desks full of gear, tall 19" racks, etc. (Pictures to come.)

The S9 is a nice radio but I think the price is too high. If your TS 500 is in nice condition, I wouldn't put it up along with $100 for that radio.

The S9 is a nice radio but I think the price is too high.
I'm not so sure. For example, the S9-175 is quite competitive with other radios in it's class. H&Y is offering it for $416.11, plus shipping, quite a reasonable price. Other radios in it's class go for from $50.00 to $100.00 more.
If your TS 500 is in nice condition, I wouldn't put it up along with $100 for that radio.
:confused: What? Huh? Eh? :confused:

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?