• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mast size & Imax 2000 Height?

Sep 13, 2005
California
What is the mast diameter for a Imax 2000 and what is the best height to run it at? I am on flat ground with few obstructions, I have access to all the steel pipe I want, 1" thru 6". I plan to make a tripod stand on the ground and then go up from there. It will be right up against the back wall of my house, It will be braced to the house @ about 13'-0" off the ground, so what is the minium height to work well and not be too obtrusive.

Thanks
Jerry

The mast size should be 1 1/4" and at least 36 feet up and 9 feet away from anything close for good performance.

You could build a mast out of galvanized pipe if you start with 21' of 2" add a threaded coupling reducer to 1 1/4 to take it up to where you need it. sink some of the 2" in a small hole with some concrete and strap it up top at the eve with a good piece of galv. angle and a u-bolt. A grounding rod would be good to.

Good luck with it.

Jonbah
CDX-3030

So if I use a 24' of 2" pipe sink it 2' in the ground then screw a 2 x 1-1/4 reducer on it then go to 1-1/4 pipe at 12' that will give me 36' to the base of the antenna.

I guess I better check with my neighbors to see if they are going to complain, I can always go with a 30' adjustable mast.

Has anyone used a adjustable mast? I seen one that goes from 10 to 30' do these need guide wires?

Thanks
Jerry

36 feet is a nice level Jerry .....a push up pole would be a nice addition. In many cases ,the higher the better for local long distance chit chat ....as far as skip goes ....sometimes one really doesn't need to be that high for skips concern ($hit pipe on the roof with one of those antennas would work well) if you have houses that are very close to you ? it will be a plus for you to get that 2000 up as high as you can and use a quailty coax ....this could and would help you if you should have any TVI problems (bleedover) .....also what works very well with those 2000s is trees (-: you can litterally stick one of those antennas right up the middle or even slanted if need be in a tree and they will perform very nicely ,I know a guy that has one in a tree about 30 feet off the ground .....this is a very big tree so you can't even see the antenna (-: He talks locally and shoots skip all over the world on his 2000. Good Luck to you Jerry. Switch Kit

Reactions: Sonar
Great, we will be going out tomorrow to get the telescoping mast and put it up, I just have to see how much coax I need.

Again thanks for all the help looks like I may be up and running in a week or so.

Thanks
Jerry

i have gone to lowes and home depot and those pleople don'rt know what the hell i am talking about. the telescoping pole i am talking about. i went to radio shack and they said they discontuned it. so i myself think i am going to just buy some fence pole and put it together and have a mast that way unless some know were to get a telescoping ploe from. i seen a website some were but can't remeber were it is. maybe some one will read this and post it again.

blackjack said:
i have gone to lowes and home depot and those pleople don'rt know what the hell i am talking about. the telescoping pole i am talking about. i went to radio shack and they said they discontuned it. so i myself think i am going to just buy some fence pole and put it together and have a mast that way unless some know were to get a telescoping ploe from. i seen a website some were but can't remeber were it is. maybe some one will read this and post it again.
Here it is Lowes 30' telescoping mast You can buy it online or write down the item number and model number and give it to them at your local lowes. If they don't have it in stock have them transfer it from another store. :D

Not all Lowes stores carry the telescoping mast.
I heard that from a few people.
If you look in the section that has the regular TV
mast pipe it should be right there if they carry it.

Well we got the Imax 2000 installed, we used the telescoping mast it has guy plates on it already, worked real well.

It is about 35' off the ground and clear form any trees. All we need to do is finish running the coax into the house.

Oh we also ran a huge copper line from the attenna mount down the mast to a 9' copper grounding rod pounded into the ground (that was fun!).

I think we are going to run the coax to our truck to see how it gets out. My base will not be here till Thursday.

Again thanks for all the help. I will try to post a picture

Jerry

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated