• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mast size & Imax 2000 Height?

Jerry,
The restriction on the size of pipe to support an antenna is based on the weight of the antenna and external forces that act on the antenna (wind). Got 2" pipe? Ought to work fine with adequate guying. What height? Whatever you can manage within reason. If thats 13-20 feet, then do it. If you can manage more, then that's 'more better'. There's really no absolute minimum. Things sort of work better at more than minimum height, but it's a matter of whatever you can manage. It would also work if you suspended it from a string tied to the top (not too reasonable though).
It's always better to over build and not have to re-build. So, pipe that's 'too big' is better than pipe that's too small, you know?
I would think that the size of the clamps holding the antenna to the mast would sort of determine the size of the top most pipe. What ever you happen to have that would support the whole mess will work from there down...
- 'Doc

Jonbah,

I got the Telescoping mast for a local CB shop in San Leandro Ca, I am sure he can tell you where to get on, they range from 30', 40',50' 60' and up if you are interested I can give you his number.

Yes I just decided to use a mast instead of Pipe, alot safer to put up then the pipe, I mounted it the antenna added guy wires then extended it up, works great!

Thanks again for all the advice

Jerry

I have the imax 2000 and I put it up just the way I have put my last a99 antenna. I used a salt treated 4x6 post 10' long. dug my hole 24" deep. cemented the post and leveled it. went to radio shack and bought 2-10' foot pieces of their t.v mast pipe 18guage by 11/4". bought their 4" mount clamps and mounted them to the post. run my mini 8 coax 95% shield through the pipe since its hollow, attached the antenna to the end of the mast pipe and pulled enough coax out the end to hook to the bottom of the antenna and zip tied to the mount clamps. raised it up and tighten the clamps to the pipe. I didn't take the pipe all the way to the ground, left it about 2' from the ground. checked my SWR from channel 1, 20, 40. 1.1-1.2. I think i'll be happy with that, might even add one more 10' section later if I feel I need it. I have a cobra 2000 i'll use or maybe even a cobra or uniden mobile. I like to talk local and shoot a little skip when conditions are good.

Hello , I'm using 3 , 10 foot sections of electrical conduit 1.5 to 1.25 to 1". Telescoped at 8" on each. Guyed with dacron rope at 25' ,the imax is attached at about 27 '. I have 3 guys on it with 3 , 9' ground plane wires attached to the guys. I have it about a foot in the ground attached to a ground Rod. At about 13' it is attached to the edge of my house with a bracket and u bolt. Works great !

The Imax 2k I have is a couple years old, and 1.25" pipe won't work, I use 1" mast pipe, and have mine up 21ft off the ground and does ok there...

I used to run this same antenna back on the mountain and up there it too was just 21ft off the ground and it talked really well up there...

Jonbah,

I got the Telescoping mast for a local CB shop in San Leandro Ca, I am sure he can tell you where to get on, they range from 30', 40',50' 60' and up if you are interested I can give you his number.

Yes I just decided to use a mast instead of Pipe, alot safer to put up then the pipe, I mounted it the antenna added guy wires then extended it up, works great!

Thanks again for all the advice

Jerry
Really?
Then, you are in my neck of the woods.
I'm in San Jose on ch 38LSB most of the time.
Will be listening for ya . . .

So long as it is secured safely at that height, 30-36 ft is optimal. You must be watchful of power lines in your neighbrhood. In case your antenna should get knocked over in a severe wind storm (rare), would it fall on power wires? If so; then it is is in the wrong spot. Many people each year are accidentally killed from electric shock when antennas fall on power wires and people try to retrieve them w/o consulting PG&E to do it for them. BE CAREFUL!

Last edited:
From what I've saw of those telescope mast, I don't see how there safe, because the pipe looks like it would be floppy in the air, thats why I always used steel pipe for my mast pipe..

Just got my rohn 45 up. Went with 1 1/4 1.66 od schedule 80. Well the u bolts on the imax would not go around 1.66 so...had to do a little modification. Picked up a piece of 1/4 x 5 x 12 aluminum flat stock for $8. It's up now and works good at 59ft to the so239..

Attachments

• 20150927_110346.jpg
    20150927_110346.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35
  • 20150927_110406.jpg
    20150927_110406.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 32

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.