• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Max safe dead key,Stryker 490

King Mudduck

FEAR THE DUCK!
May 6, 2005
285 South Western Virgina waving!
I just got one last night and wanted to know what is the max (safe) dead key i can run with out hurting anything? I'm not much on the low key big swing thing but i dont have a clue as to what the max setting should be. Like to run it around 20 watts if thats safe.

You've been on this forum for over 4 years and are not sure how to operate a radio that only has one transistor in it ?:confused:

Run it just like you would any other radio.. The only difference is the 490 will do 3x as much do to having a 1446 in it.

POWER STRYKER

Crank it up, my friend runs 100 watts with his...and he can squeeze more if he wants.

DOCTOR/795

You've been on this forum for over 4 years and are not sure how to operate a radio that only has one transistor in it ?:confused:

I know how i like to run a radio but i dont know how much is to much dead key for this radio. It's just like some people like to set a 95T at 20 watts and let it swing from there,me i run it at 50 watts,for a better sound quality, because i know that a 50 watt key will not hurt it.

I just dont want to blow up a new radio because i set the key a 25 watts and that ended up being to much for that 1446.

20 watts would be really pushing it. maybe a little too much.cbtricks says 10 watts i think
ya might get away with 12 or 15 but thats it.after that your audio would start to distourt

A 100 watt dead key from a Stryker 490 is rediculous, way too much. There is no way a shop that knows what they are doing would set it that high.

I went to the Stryker web site, they have a tech section where you can ask there king Mudduck. Off hand I would say since the 490 will peak out at 130 watts keep the max dead key at 30 watts. If it gets too warm too fast back it down.

You might give DTB radio a PM and see where he sets them at when he tunes one. Exellent tech that I would trust.

I assume the radio has 1 2sc2290 correct? The spec sheet says the PEP power out is 60 watts.

A 100% modulated signal has a 4 to 1 peak carrier relation

60 divided by 4 = 15

So to keep your radio linear and reduce harmonics, you should set the carrier at 15 watts and achieve 60 watts with a 100% modulated signal.

You may see more on peaks Id say up to 70 watts would be ok. Some clipping in the audio can be a good thing(this happens when you go past 100% modulation) But too much will cause ALOT of distortion and unwanted harmonics.

And typicaly when grossly overmodulated(like when you remove the limiter) your Avg talk power decreases even though your watt meter lies and shows higher numbers. This would be proven if you put a good low pass filter between the radio and meter. The reason it reads more is due to the second and third order IMD being reflected from your antenna and the "typically" zener diode in your meter does not know the diff between 27mhz and 54mhz, so it gives a false indication of higher power.

So basically your radio is produceing more power, just not on the frequency you want it too.

Don't forget dxhound, the spec sheet is listed at a lower voltage so that "rated wattage" of 60 is way low. Even the honest cb shops are still getting 100-130 peak watts from a Stryker 490.

I figured 12v mobile useage

I've never seen a mobile system, nor a power supply 12volts, at least not anything modern.... Any car i've ever checked was over 13, and typically 13.8 or so, same with a properly functioning modern DC supply, non-adjustables typically come in at 13.8... Of course this would be somewhat dependent upon the alternator RPM, etc...

My 440 Mosfet will easily key 15 watts carrier without any overheating or distortion. I'd say a properly working 490 should be able to do 15-20 watts or so carrier without to much difficulty, though I would probably run it 10-15 and let it coast along....

My bronco idles at 12.7 and then kicks up to 13.5. Newer vehicle probably are better.
I understand that with the higher voltage you will see gains in power output. But Why push it? Leave it at the posted specs and it will last you FOREVER. If adjusted to the 13.8v, just increase my numbers by 8%(the diff between 12v and 13.8v) You get a peak of 64.8 watts and a max carrier of 16.2 watts. I wouldnt go much higher because its just an inventation for heat, and the diff in power is negligable on the rxing end.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.