• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MESSENGER 450 is available again

$185 for a Palomar 225 is rediculous, those used to be 89.99. I think they are trying to play up the "AB" and "extra filtering" a bit much. It's still a Palomar. Man I wish this Joker amplifier guy still sold amps.

its 163 for a palomar 350 350 350 350 not a 225
considering that a texas star 350 is #250 + S&H , 163 forthe ab palomar is a great price new delivered . these palomar 350's have filtering also .

copper used to sell a amp called a "palomar 225" but it was class c and used 455's or 445's instead of 1446's . it was 89 bucks if i recall differently . two totally different amps except for thr enclosure .

It says "3-30 MHz", but where's the bandswitch?

Without the filtering, switched by a heavy-duty bandswitch, this alleged amplifier could easily be spraying RF indiscriminately across the entire HF spectrum and beyond.

Another POC.

Booty ALA sells the blue face Palomar 225 for $185. I do like that deal on the Palomar 350, 2879's and less money.

Highlander_821 posted:
"Definitely NOT the same unit being sold by ALA now."

and none of them ever were, not for 89.00 and

Index of /images/copies

all class c, no lp filtering, no stripline construction
and most of them excluded negative feedback.

and none of them capable of minimal THD/IMD
products @ > -30 to -32db. below rated output,
that exceeds mil. spec.. for emissions purity.

the Genuine Palomar 225 is pure Class AB1 @
200WPEP output and scope clean with the
recommended drive. when drive is exceeded
they shift into Class AB2.

every 225 is load-tested @ 250W of Carrier
Output for 30 seconds prior to shipping. this
keeps the failure return rate well below 1%.

Performance Package

Last edited:
$185 for a Palomar 225 is rediculous, those used to be 89.99. I think they are trying to play up the "AB" and "extra filtering" a bit much. It's still a Palomar. Man I wish this Joker amplifier guy still sold amps.
I totally agree with you here on the play up. Those 225s have been around for at least 15 years (if I recall) The AB1 models not the so called knock of C's "I used to " get them for 65.00 new in the box. I think you can still get them for pretty close to that if you know the maker and you buy in quantity. The rest is total MARK UP fella's !!
but that's the way the cookie crumbles (it always has)

This maker is tops in my book next to Messenger over the years for theses kinds of amps. They are good filtered boxes and guys can damned near double there money on them. (Its' whom you know sometimes guys)
I remember when the 225's first came out way back when , they all had a AM delay problem , the caps were 33uf at 35 volts , worked great on SSB but AM would rip you off about 2 seconds on the unkey. ( now that could really be a pain in the ass) usually a 10 uf change from the 33 uf would take care of it or just putting a switch on the cap would work. (oh and IM not talking about these knock off Chinese boarded things)

Although maker fixed the problem within time. ( you can still find the older ones on Ebay , you always know you got one by the AM freaking delay.) :headbang

I must admit over the years I've come to appreciate a good well made AB 1 type amplifier. IM starting to think my class C days have come and gone. Well , there's still the old stand by Texas Stars . Polly want a cracker ?

Last edited:
Those messenger at ALA are like a Bic Lighter, when they quit working you throw them away. Those Messenger 450's are want a be copy cat and not even that. Number one Messenger never made a 450 box when I called ALA on it and asked them is this something new Messenger is doing because I didn't know they made a 450 and his reply was well when we get these in they don't have any stickers on the box that says 450 so after we test them this is what we come up with so we put the 450 on it because our customers like to know what model it is. Now I thought I heard it all untill I heard that, what a joke.
Anyways if anyone is looking for the real deal on Messenger Amplifiers let me know I can still get them for you I usually have the 125, AB-1 Hi/Lo & the 125, AB-1 Variable power, Rec & the 250, AB-1 Hi/Lo Rec or the Variable & the 350, AB-1 Hi/Lo Rec or the Variable & the 500 AB-1 Hi/Lo Rec or the Variable & the 650 MV4 Hi/Lo Rec with or with out the remote the fan kit are also available and also the 800 & the 1200 those two are available but take a few weeks to get the smaller ones I know a lot of guys who use these boxes as drivers beings they are class AB-1 to drive there bigger class c amps make for some real nice clean power.
All these Messengers are the real deals old school Messengers a lot of guys don't think they are being made anymore and that is not true they are being made but the old man is getting old and he is just doing it for something to do to keep him busy or like he said he will get old real quick and die off so he builds enough to keep him busy as he wants to be and when the holidays are coming around I think his grandchildren help him out some otherwise it is almost like a one man show sometimes so that is why I usually try and keep the smaller boxes available so people don't have to wait very long if any and plus you never know when they won't be available any longer beings he is getting pretty old now and who knows when that time will come around than we are screwed and I will hold onto what ever I have when that time comes around.

Cotton Mouth,

hey Cotton Mouth , care to post some prices for the amps ? im sure many here will be interested .
some internal pics. would be icing on the cake !!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.