• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Metz Manta-6 coil loaded whip

WX2MIG

Still Alive & Well
Dec 10, 2008
39° 19' 23" N X 74° 36' 30" W
I'm giving some serious thought about purchasing one of these Yaesu FT-2800M 2 meter mobiles, and I got a question for those of you that have one......

What antenna are you using with it......?
(brand / model)

I was also wondering.....
Being a boater, I have a Metz Manta-6 coil loaded whip antenna for my VHF Marine radio, these antennas are great, and out perform most of the common fiberglass marine antennas I've had. Metz also makes amature band antennas, and they list HRO as a distributor, but I can't find any Metz products on their website.....Does anyone here know where, or who sells the Metz amature band antennas......?

On the outside chance that anyone cares.......

I found the Metz (#214) 2 meter antenna I was looking for at the HRO New Hampshire store, and I also ordered a new Yaesu FT-2800M along with it....

(I just hope the wife doesn't see the credit card bill before I do......):eek:

I think that's the coil loaded 2m antenna that my buddy uses on his jeep. It seems to work pretty well. Is it a pretty short antenna?

I think that's the coil loaded 2m antenna that my buddy uses on his jeep. It seems to work pretty well. Is it a pretty short antenna?

The whip is 37" on the 2 meter, and 34" on the VHF Marine....

I've been on the water for many years, and first discovered the Metz Manta-6 during a routine Coast Guard inspection, they had one on their semi rigid inflatable, and the guys told me it worked better than any of the standard fiberglass antennas they normally used. So I got one for my 18' center consul, mounted to the plexi glass windshield, and found it really did both TX and RX far better than the big heavy combersome fiberglass antenna I had on there.

I'm really surprised they aren't more popular in the HAM radio community, I've had two of the VHF Marine antennas, the first lasted over 20 years, and I just got the second one to replace it. They're stainless steel and hold up real well in the salt water enviroment. Back in my CB radio days, I went through several antennas made by Wilson and Larsen because they would turn to rust here by the Atlantic Ocean, but this salt air doesn't seem to bother the Metz antennas one bit.....

Hey, I saw your post on QRZ about wanting a 2m antenna that you don't have to drill holes for in your vehicle. You should take a look at the holiday giveaway contest in the announcements section of this forum ;)

a quick google search returned many metz dealers, mostly from boating companies.
i have a metz on my boat, the o-rings work great for sealing out moisture, and they have a great warrantee too.

Hey, I saw your post on QRZ about wanting a 2m antenna that you don't have to drill holes for in your vehicle. You should take a look at the holiday giveaway contest in the announcements section of this forum ;)

I also got a less than warm welcome at QRZ when on my first post I made the mistake of mentioning that I was looking to clip a Yaesu HT to Tx out of band. Evidently remarks of that nature brings out all the armchair radio lawyers, and they had a field day with me.......lesson learned.......

As for mounting the antenna, the roof is out because I also carry surfboards and other things on the roof racks, and anything else up there would just get in the way. I ended up using the supplied "L" bracket that comes with the Metz antenna, and clamped to a vertical fishing rod holder that's bolted to the front bumper. This certainly isn't the optimum location for a coil loaded antenna, but it works well with the VHF Marine radio that's in my Jeep now, and it doesn't get in the way of anything else I carry.
When the Metz 2 meter antenna arrives, I'll just swap out one for the other, and keep the Manta 6 as a spare for the boat, or bolt it to the garage so I can listen to the fishing reports while working in the shop....

I also got a less than warm welcome at QRZ when on my first post I made the mistake of mentioning that I was looking to clip a Yaesu HT to Tx out of band. Evidently remarks of that nature brings out all the armchair radio lawyers, and they had a field day with me.......lesson learned.......

Yeah I saw the thread too. That's QRZ for you. Some people just don't understand that responses and behavior like that do a lot more harm than good to amateur radio.

:):):):) i didn't see the thread on qrz, but i can imagine LOL
certain subjects do bring out the ire of some of them.
all in all, however, most of us on QRZ will help (not "spoonfeed") when a question is asked and the person wants to learn. jim

Yeah I saw the thread too. That's QRZ for you. Some people just don't understand that responses and behavior like that do a lot more harm than good to amateur radio.

Modifying HAM gear to Tx out of band was a wide spread practice back when I first got involved 20 years ago, the reaction I got from some of those guys, you'd think I was the first one to suggest it, and by me doing something like that would bring the entire amature radio hobby to a crashing hault. Some of them fellows take themselves just a little too seriously......

There were a few responses in my defense, and some of those were pretty good too.....

Up-date....

My Jeep Liberty was way over due for an oil change, and I finally caught a day off with decent weather, so 6 fresh quarts of Mobile 1, a Wix filter, flushed the radiator and refilled it with fresh Prestone antifreeze, rotated my Goodyears, and most importantly I ran the wiring for my Yaesu FT-2800M that should arrive next Thursday. The only glitch in the system is.....my wife just informed me that the kids, and Mother-in-law can't figure out what to give me for Christmas, and she decided this new radio would fit the bill, so now she'll be holding it, wrapping it, and I'm not to get it until Christmas morning......:rolleyes:

Good thing she doesn't know about the VX-170 HT.......(y)

Anyway, all the wiring, and cables are in place, so when I do get my hands on the new Yaesu mobile, all I'll have to do is mount it, and finalize my connections to the battery and the unit, unscrew the VHF Marine antenna, and screw the 2 meter antenna in it's place.......

my metz antenna

I love it on my Jeep. Used the mounting bracket that is made for it,drilled two holes at the top of the window frame ,ran the cable through the rubber and down the window post to the radio. Antenna is very good.
One day looking on ebay found a dealer display unit with 3 NEW complete antennas and acc.'s Bought it for $15.00 and shipping(yes $15.00)
As the guy said for 2mtr 37 in's stinger is the length you need but they are very broad banded so the shorter stinger may work ok for swr's.
You can get a uhf magnet mount for it,also uhf trunk lip mounts.
I think you will like it very well.
note-This is not a duel band ant, it is a half wave ant.

Mike
Fuzzy
Triple1
KC9BUH
WQFR960

Yeah Mike, they are real quality antennas, and I never been able to figure out why they haven't caught on better with HAM's. The U.S. Coast Guard uses them on a lot of their craft, I know several boaters that use them, and I had one on my own boat for years. When I sold the boat I took the antenna and VHF, screwed the "L" bracket to the peak of my garage roof, and was able to talk to boats several miles off shore, and I live 5 miles inland....these things just seem to radiate better than anything else I ever used....and they don't rust.....(y)

Back when I first got my boat, I still had my Alinco HT, and would plug it into the Metz VHF Marine antenna while out on the water....I never had a problem hitting the local repeaters located well inland, even when I was well off shore. With the Yaesu FT-2800M putting out 65 watts, I figured I'd play it safe and go with the #214 2 meter whip, and I'll put this new Manta-6 back up on the garage and use it with the HT. With the two main repeater clubs here, one holds a Sunday night net, and the other a Wednesday night net, and there's also a simplex Friday night net, having that Metz up on the garage roof will help my signal with the simplex net....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.