• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MFJ-993 B IntelliTuner Review

I would like to see a further review on the accuracy of the meter. I question what kind of quality you are getting for $250+. Perhaps it's better than I think it is, I just don't know.

I can't speak specifically for the circuit in this tuner however...

I have an Ameritron manual tuner (Ameritron is owned by MFJ). It's a peak reading meter and seems to be reasonably good. I wouldn't be surprised if they use the same circuit design, but I haven't looked at them, either (and probably wouldn't know what I was looking at, LOL). I can't say as a percentage how accurate it is because I don't find that in the specs. All I can say that my tuner's meter is "reasonable" when compared to my other meters.

Reactions: 1 person
Can you take some pictures of the digital readout of power and swr readings?

BTW, I think that price is really pretty good for what you get. Most other autotuners in that power range are about the same price, and MFJ gives you the cross needle meter, AND the digital meter.

Can you take some pictures of the digital readout of power and swr readings?

BTW, I think that price is really pretty good for what you get. Most other autotuners in that power range are about the same price, and MFJ gives you the cross needle meter, AND the digital meter.

Look at the first two pictures on the review. The SWR is the number in the upper right in the LCD screen. The peak wattage output is just below it.
Kinda like the LP-100A is - maybe smaller and a little slower reaction.

Look at the first two pictures on the review. The SWR is the number in the upper right in the LCD screen. The peak wattage output is just below it.
Kinda like the LP-100A is - maybe smaller and a little slower reaction.

Yeah, but the manual talks about some different displays that are possible on the main screen. I'd like to see some of those in action.

Yeah, but the manual talks about some different displays that are possible on the main screen. I'd like to see some of those in action.

Oh, there are a LOT of sub-menus on this puppy. It is taking a bit of time just to get used to them all. If I were to take pictures of them all - it would take up quite a bit of space. I will try to get some of the most commonly used ones up today - if possible.

But to use this right out of the box, one needs to first have the 'Auto' button pushed in. Then key the mic with a minimum of 2 watts thru the tuner, hold the 'tune' button down for two seconds until you hear a beep, then talk into the mic and let the tuner chatter for a second or less. I've noticed that it gets a better tune when holding a constant whistle on SSB mode.

But to use this right out of the box, one needs to first have the 'Auto' button pushed in. Then key the mic with a minimum of 2 watts thru the tuner, hold the 'tune' button down for two seconds until you hear a beep, then talk into the mic and let the tuner chatter for a second or less. I've noticed that it gets a better tune when holding a constant whistle on SSB mode.

No tuner can load up on SSB without some signal fed through. That's why most people use AM or RTTY or some other mode with a small carrier to load it up then switch the rig to SSB for use.

I have no doubt that Robb is a great guy but there are numerous examples throughout his reviews that show exactly why one of the other admin should be doing the reviews, at least for now.

Why do you have to be an admin to provide a review of a piece of equipment that you purchased?

You don't and I didn't mean it to come across that way. However, when a person is approaching a company on behalf of a forum asking for items to review and then posting those reviews here, the review holds much more weight to the new user than it would coming from a random member.

Again, I don't want Robb to take this personally but he isn't knowledgeable enough at this point to be doing these reviews as they are being approached.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated