• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Microphone Wiring (Turner +3 to Uniden Washington)

IronGuts

Mar 3, 2012
Thanks for your help with this one. I have a Turner Plus Three microphone with 3 conductors (red, black, white, plus the shield) that I'd like to connect to a Uniden Washington (5-pin ). The original materials for the Turner say black and red are for control switching, white is the signal (hot) lead, and shield is ground. I'm not sure how to match this up with the Washington 5-pin.

One site says the Washington is set up this way, but I'm not sure:
Pin 1 Audio
Pin 2 Shield
Pin 3 Receive
Pin 4 Sw. Wire (Swiching wire?)
Pin 5 Transmit

Has anyone connected these two pieces of equipment before? I believe the transceiver is electronic swiching, not relay switching.

Thanks!!

should be the same as for cobra 2000 and cobra 142,,, on my 142 it is

1..white
2..shield
3..red
5.. black

nothing to 4 i have a +3 and a super side kick both wired up this way,,,,unless some one rewired the internal on mike this should work 73 midnight special

Getting ready to do the same match up. Did you get it working yet? Which wiring route worked for your 5 pin Washington.
I am trying to as well. I have a turner 253 and I'm at a COMPLETE LOSS... I have a old mic cable from a Aries mic.. will this even work!? Help is much needed

I am trying to as well. I have a turner 253 and I'm at a COMPLETE LOSS... I have a old mic cable from a Aries mic.. will this even work!? Help is much needed
OH and I'm running a cobra 25Ltd classic with echo board, peaked and tune with varibable, at the home 20

Thanks for your help with this one. I have a Turner Plus Three microphone with 3 conductors (red, black, white, plus the shield) that I'd like to connect to a Uniden Washington (5-pin ). The original materials for the Turner say black and red are for control switching, white is the signal (hot) lead, and shield is ground. I'm not sure how to match this up with the Washington 5-pin.

One site says the Washington is set up this way, but I'm not sure:
Pin 1 Audio
Pin 2 Shield
Pin 3 Receive
Pin 4 Sw. Wire (Swiching wire?)
Pin 5 Transmit

Has anyone connected these two pieces of equipment before? I believe the transceiver is electronic swiching, not relay switching.

Thanks!!
Please man I’ve been trying the same thing wire a 4 wire M3 to my uniden Washington 5 pin ( in simple terms) can you please tell me how you ended up wiring the mic) Been at it a couple of hours I’m giving up now I’ll try again tomorrow getting discouraged cause some guys said I can’t do it something about the relay etc . I just want to get this done at this point.
The turner has only 4 wires Washington 5

mike daniels,,,washington? president washington general washington or uniden washington? m3 which brand of mike is that? and it would easier to make a new thread instead of hanging on another,,,, the uniden washington pin out is

1 audio
2 audio ground usually the shield around the audio wire
3 recieve
4 ground
5 transmit

Greetings!

Ok, to help, there are some minor differences in the ease of wiring the mike.

Got a 5 Wire Mic cord? 5 wire - works the best...

Else Pin 4 (Common) and Pin 2 (Audio Shield) need to be tied together AT THE HANDSET INTERNAL TO HANDSET AND YOU DETERMINE IF Pin 4 ON MIC PLUG OR Pin 2 ON MIC PLUG Works best...

One deals with the switching - Pin 4 - Common, which is the radios BOARD Ground and not shielded nor is it filtered the best...it's the Return for Speaker and Grounds for Control line (would be left floating to the mikes own keyswitch) switch for the MB3756 - meaning it may have a power level to it that can damage some electronics if not protected from external power sources.

Pin 2 is SHIELD - and although ground - uses inductance as a filter and can cause the mic to squeal. This wire also bonds Board and Chassis grounds - which can DAMAGE the radios control line that this replaces pin 4's .

For some, Pin 2 and 4 are tied together and it works...but ONLY to ground. (Mobiles used in Base setups)
TurnerSpecialCodeS.jpg

How? if the radio was operated in a live chassis environment, may interfere with the radios own returns making the mic a potential electrocution hazard. Hence Pin 2 and 4 were kept separate and filtered - routed, differently.

TurnerM3.jpg

TurnerPlus3M.jpg
5-pinPlugWashington.jpg

Else if you've "bonded" and only use the radio grounded - where the case and power supply foil grounds are tied to the same ground references - I'd try both after tying the board and chassis (if possible) to ground together and see which would prevent the squeal...Pin 2 to see if the switching will occur, else Pin 4 and hopefully no squeal - both Pin 2 and Pin 4 are grounds - just they are treated differently.

Washington's are mains powered - so proceed at your own peril...

5 pins on mobiles that are a power supply at home are one thing - Line-powered Base units are another.

Regards!
:+> Andy <+:

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.