• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Midland 75-822 mod

Kitten308

Feb 20, 2012
Ok, I am a newbie for sure, but I have looked far and long for this 120 mod for this radio, yeah there is a few on youtube but they are in Spanish or some other, I am english, I did open my radio and I did try to follow along but looking at the board I didn't see that little thing they remove on my 75-822, but I am thinking it says rev.1 on their board and mine says rev.2 so what exactly do I need to make this switch from the 40 channel to the 120 channel. I did print off the thing from Bill's CB looks close but I want to be sure.

Please let me know guys and girls.

I am from Canada, and I am pretty sure the FCC laws won't apply to me.

Thanks

Denis

Reactions: 1 person

Just did my 75-820 for 40H and 40L beyond the normal 40. Just a few notes though:

The solder pads listed on Bill's 2 Way page are NOT marked on the PCB as A B C D. Mine was completely blank and I relied on other information on the web, This link.

One word of caution, I did this mod on a 75-820, some 75-822 (newer version), it may not work. I believe the solder pads have either been removed or the microchip doesn't support the expanded frequency coverage.

Another note: there's some sort of protective film or plastic that covers the pads, I had to heat and scrape away 2-3 layers of film to get the solder to "stick" on jumpers position 3 (as shown in the link I posted) to get the mod to work. I will post photos in the morning of what my board looked like before,and after with the mod, when there is more sunlight, the flash on my camera washes everything out.

73's

Reactions: mike2464
Hi,
I'm new on this site, I made some search but always end up here the closer that I came to my question. I bought a Midland 75-822 Rev.2 board. And if I can understand you were to post photos of the news mod board. Will it be possible to post them or PM me.
Thanks

Got them photos?

I also wanted to make the modification. But nothing happened. New radio has a very different structure. I can do with it anything?
Sorry for the mistake. I do not speak very well English.

Foto: http://www.worldwidedx.com/members/ser046-albums-midland-75-822-picture3683-75-822-1.jpg

BB Code:
ser046-albums-midland-75-822-picture3683-75-822-1.jpg

I really think you guys need to let these little handheld units be what they are. That is limited duty close range basic cb communication. You can't make a Cadillac out of a Yugo.

Reactions: 1 person
makes sense when someone will pay $160 for some extra dx channels that aint even good for anything

Please allow me to resurrect an old thread with a new-be question.
are the 40 H and L channels are different frequencies, or the side bands of the standard 40 channels?

i think i understand they are different frequencies, but want to make sure i understood it all.

no this is not a sideband radio, if you want sideband on a handheld there is pretty much only one option, the cherokee ah-100, magnum 1012, albrecht ae2990 and a few others, all pretty much the same radio.
ssb is just a method of transmission, same channels as the regular 40 although with just a regular CB radio, SSB transmissions will sound like donald duck, and be illegible. basically, SSB gets out alot further with less power, if you want to learn more Single-sideband modulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the 75-822 and Cobra HH-45, the H and L channels are extra bands of 40 channels, the L is 40 more channels below channel 1, and the H is 40 channels above channel 40, it can also do 40 channels above the 40 channels above ch.1
so the regular US 40 channels are from 26.965-27.405 mhz, the H channels from 27.415 to 27.855 and then 27.865 to 28.305. The L channels are from 26.515 to 26.965.

The extra channels are actually pretty useless for a handheld.
Some truckers run below channel 1, and some DX in AM mode, but mostly spanish is all you hear.
Above channel 40 is almost entirely DX, in SSB mode. The HH-45 and 75-820 will only work on AM mode.
The only real advantage extra channels are to find a nice quite channel that most people with regular 40 channel radios cant go to.
Right now we are at the peak of the solar cycle, "skip" happens most every day. Good luck finding any quite channel, and on a bad day the noise that rolls in will drown the weak signal from the handheld radio out so bad you be lucky to get a mile range out of them.
After around 9 or 10 pm the skip goes away, might be useful if your batman.
Good time to sell it and buy a VHF or UHF walky talky if you want to get any real range.
Or hold on to it, some people might be figuring out the useless of a handheld CB radio during the peak of solar cycle, put it away for a few years until the sunspots die down then you have a nice radio with a 3 to 5 mile range.

Hi! Reviving old thread once again.
My Midland 75-822 has a Rev 2 board. Anyone kind enough to share how to mod for 120 channels? Thank you.

Hi! Reviving old thread once again.
My Midland 75-822 has a Rev 2 board. Anyone kind enough to share how to mod for 120 channels? Thank you.
As of this date, Bell's CB still sell the Midland 75-822 (not 75-820) with the option of having it 'tuned' along with with the 120 channel modification. I am curious if these are the current 2014/2015 stock of models. They're even selling them on eBay with the 120 channel mod.

If they are, that tells me that the Midland 75-822 is still able to be modified as of late 2015. Personally I'd be more interested in having ALL band plan channel settings much like the Alan 42 but with the US band plan included.

I recently picked up a couple of these for work and they appear to be the same production run as what is being offered online by the majority of sellers.

It would be nice if someone can publish them. Every time I've done a search for one, all I get is results from 2008/2010/2011 pertaining to the older models.

73s

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.