• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile antenna grounding...

Finally someone got it right... I simply elaborated on MOGVZ's post so I hope he is Ok with that.

OldTEch03

I'm OK too (see posts 2 & 6)
tiphat.gif

Thank you to all! I have now ordered a puck mount and a predator 10k and 18' of rg213..I will install this and begin the bonding process when it gets a little warmer. Now if I can get a little more OT at work the midnight special 700 will come quick!

Reactions: Robb
I'm OK too (see posts 2 & 6)
tiphat.gif
Yes, Road Squawker it was never my intention to suggest that you or others were not on the right track. There is much to be considered when grounding Mag mounts. Mag-mounts in and of themselves are meant to be what they are "Magnet Mounts" I have run as much as 600W on a Wilson 5000 with no issues at all! That being said there was a significant preparation done to the both My F150 and my van and this was just as a matter of routine for me and may or may not have contributed to the Wilson working just fine without those preps. So don't ever think I'm dismissing anyone on here sometimes I don't read all the posts and that is a my-bad issue.

I got a follup Question. I'm using a little will, tried three different SSB Radios(10ga to the battery), grounded the radio to the seatbolt. Issue, audio unintelligible(thinking reflect). Thinking of changing to a diamond k-400(+braid), and a Firestik, will be that solve my problem?

I'm assuming the AM is fine? If so then maybe there is an issue with RF getting into the power supply line, You say you are using 10Ga which should be fine for current but maybe there is a weakness in the grounding or the way you have run the supply line. I have encountered in the past some issues in cars where I had to run the positive line separated from the ground and make sure the Pos feed is also hugging the body metal as much as possible, normally I would just do the full door, trunk and hood grounding but some customers didn't want to pay for all that. The reason I think it's good to play with the positive lead routing is that 3 radios displayed the same issue which would indicate the issue is with the integrity of the vehicles grounding or lack of, or maybe the antenna or both? and, it may also be the "Little Wil" isn't up to the task as it does have a much smaller base and is much more narrow banded than the 1000 or 5000 Wilson. Now there is also the radio I chased a problem in a dodge truck install one day with a brand new out of the box low power cobra 139XLR turns out the chassis screws in the radio were all lose in the final section and the screws that secured the final and driver to the case were also loose after torquing them down the problem was gone. So the moral of the story is simply leave no stone unturned!!..
OldTech

I also remember once where the extension speaker was causing the same issue you are having as the speaker wire was acting as an antenna because of a bad board connection on the speaker socket, Forgot about that one but forgetting seems to be my strong point these days!

Last edited:
Reactions: Slowmover and W2EKG
Reactions: W2EKG

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated