• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile Export Reviews Please

The receive on a Cobra should be just fine if you properly align it. The same goes for the Galaxy radios and other Ranger boards. Your 2970N2 should have a good receive as well, again, set up right.

The newer Strykers have a bery good, but very sensitive receive. They have very poor channel rejection and pick up engine noise and other electronics that make them noisy. Also, if you get too close to somebody, you have to to turn down your receive or it will sound garbled.

Magnums....well, not much to choose from so skip that.

The receive on my optima is the best I've had. I had to install echo though. I'm just using an on off switch and its preset inside.

You can install talkback and echo on the N2. Be smart about routing the wires so you don't have rf issues. Echo can go on side I. Front of mike jack. Radio shop sales will recommend the perfect echo board which is all-in-one with the control knob. Think it comes from the mirage. Fits perfect as there isn't any room inside. Talkback install is easy and clean b solder a jumper and add a resistor.

The galaxy 98 99 and 94 are basically the same, just different power. If you get any noise from lights, backlight or freq counter, yes you can turn off or down the lights. Sometime the noise is even in your transmit but can be dealt with. The backlight on those radios at AC not. DC and can create a hum or buzz. Normally manageable. If you like ssb, open the fine clarifier or you'll never know if you're transmitting on frequency.

Last edited by a moderator:
having both magnum and rci here ,i perfer the magnum when it comes to
quieter recieve.its also more senitive. galaxys havea quiet recieve also
but on ssb they can be a pain.id have the fine/course knob married together
for a straight cb radio again galaxys are good 959 if ya want ssb if not
then save a few dollars and just get a galaxy 929.
i often wonder if thenew displays in the 29 and other radios is causing
rf hash in the reciever section???

I don't see a difference between the new LCD screen cobras and other cobras when it comes to hash.

Smart marrying the clarifiers together. I think that design was the stupidest thing done for ssb radios.

Hey SMP440, are you wanting ssb on your rig?

Is try and find an old Stryker. Absolutely live the receive on the old Strykers. Sometimes I would think my receive wasn't working right because of how quiet it was. Then I would pick up signals from 20 miles away in my mobile and it would just blow me away. The Stryker receive is just as sensitive now, unfortunately , they're very noisy.

If you're looking at just AM, look at the galaxy 33hp2. Love that radio. Loud. Clear. Solid. No lights so no noise. HIGH MEDIUM LOW SWITCH so no guessing what your dead key is. Variable power kinda sucks when its on a pot. You never really know where it's set. (Secret: 12 o'clock ain't half way. It's more like 90% full power). With the h/m/l switch, you know EXACTLY where it's set. If you tune it to 2, 5 and 12 watt dead key, then that's exactly where it is when you run it on high med and low. I which ale adios had a HML switch instead of a variable power pot.

I have had a few nice radios and you need to decide if you wand SSB !!!
I like Galaxy radios the DX-94 is a great radio with power also The DX 99-V2 is also nice but with dual finals I like the star lite face plate on 94. Much better on the price is the DX-979 Just 40 channels but has SSB, no echo or freq. counter but that star lite face plate I have the 979 great radio but I have other radios with 10 meters and extra channels. It might be just me but I can't see having the extra channels without SSB.

I don't see a difference between the new LCD screen cobras and other cobras when it comes to hash.

Smart marrying the clarifiers together. I think that design was the stupidest thing done for ssb radios.

CbRadiosPRONTO.com

So one can't tune rx/tx "by ear" with the coarse and leave the fine alone?

Reactions: 1 person

CbRadiosPRONTO.com
i disagree. having dual clarifers is a pain. especially the course knob. if ya are off
freq. then ya must use that knob and its too touchy and always falling into
the indent [bump] for a dual clarifer radio its a big PLUS . if done properly

So one can't tune rx/tx "by ear" with the coarse and leave the fine alone?

that only works if tx/rx are perfectly aligned. then it only gets worse from here
if ya only need to move the course knob a tiny bit forget it its gonna go
back into a spot i call a indent . [its a spot where the knob feels like it has a
bump]if radios tx/rx arent perfectly aligned then ssb will be a pain cause
when ya get the recieve right ya transmit will be off. now ya can tune
tx with course then reciece with fine but if ya accidently bump that course
knob [probaly will] then your transmit will go off in never never land as course
knob is very touchy. ive owned 3 dual clarifer radios ONLY one i like is my 3900
w/ the married clarifers.

OK,
Sorry for the delay in getting back with everybody.
I don't use SSB at this point so I don't feel I need it. As with anything that could change.
I'm kinda Leaning toward a Magnum right now. I can't believe that no one has owned a connex.
In the truckers world they seem to be very popular. I only know this cause every night I'm setting in a truck stop somebody is selling one. lol
And thats what makes me gun shy on that brand.

Any other thoughts or reviews...

OK,
Sorry for the delay in getting back with everybody.
I don't use SSB at this point so I don't feel I need it. As with anything that could change.
I'm kinda Leaning toward a Magnum right now. I can't believe that no one has owned a connex.
In the truckers world they seem to be very popular. I only know this cause every night I'm setting in a truck stop somebody is selling one. lol
And thats what makes me gun shy on that brand.

Any other thoughts or reviews...

connex is a very popular radio with truckers so is the general lee these all are great am radios and will all perform close to the same.had both many years ago couldnt tell a difference
though both radios had same tech [bobscb]
strykers 447, nd 497 ive herd are great with very good recieve.magnum are good
radios too. thier only fault i find is thier picky about a microphone. the best one seems
to be the stock mic, and superstar 452. at least on the 2 ive owned

Yep the magnum 257hp with the stock power mic turned up is the ticket. Loud on both am an ssb. I even used it on my 980 uniden and got good loud audio reports with it. Just don't hit the channel up/down buttons. But for a stock mic they work well. The only other power mic I have owned that is any good is the 2018 extreme. It has good audio and is loud. You don't have to use any echo either.

If you can be in the same parking lot and not hear others talking id say you have one or two issues. First is antenna system. Have swr checked. Could be antenna, mounting, grounding, coax, etc. Next is i had a guy bring me one of those digital 29's a couple weeks ago for a tune up. Said the rx was really weak. I found a short in the main board. This was a new radio. Flex the case or board and rx jumped right up. I told him to take it back to the truck stop and trade it in. He did and got a 29 classic and is happy.

I vote for the 94hp but i played with a new connex, the one with the new meter and it was an audio monster and good rx.

Last edited:
I had the Connex CX-3300FHP Like all the features Echo,Freq counter, Extra channels, 10K sw Beeeeepppp you name it sounded great with the SRA-198 mic stock Great radio but like I said No SSB was the killer for me. If that radio had SSB I would never have sold it. Nice amount of power and swing. would be a great mobil for me As I olny use AM mobil.

that only works if tx/rx are perfectly aligned. then it only gets worse from here
if ya only need to move the course knob a tiny bit forget it its gonna go
back into a spot i call a indent . [its a spot where the knob feels like it has a
bump]if radios tx/rx arent perfectly aligned then ssb will be a pain cause
when ya get the recieve right ya transmit will be off. now ya can tune
tx with course then reciece with fine but if ya accidently bump that course
knob [probaly will] then your transmit will go off in never never land as course
knob is very touchy. ive owned 3 dual clarifer radios ONLY one i like is my 3900
w/ the married clarifers.

I'm with you, there is no "detent" or center notch on the 99v2 clarifier, neither coarse nor fine.

thanks for the explanation.

I'm with you, there is no "detent" or center notch on the 99v2 clarifier, neither coarse nor fine.

thanks for the explanation.

From what I recall you can remove the detent in the coarse tune on any radio by carefully opening up the switch and removing the ball bearing that sits in it, was often done to Cobra 148 GTL DX and SS3900 amonst many others here, although personally I don't see the need, tune the radio once its preheated for about 45 mins, make sure fine is set dead centre while doing so and use the coarse to tune anyone.

Soon as you start using fine receive only clarifiers you will run into problems as soon as you have more than 2 stations on the same frequency, if everyone locks on with coarse tune then they will all be transmitting and receiving on exactly the same frequency, and anyone joing should do likewise, if one only has a fine tune/clarifier then everyone should use coarse to tune into his tx frequency, if he clarifies one, he clarifies all, its not rocket science, wee've been doing it here since 1980,

only fannies that have to see 27.555.000 on their display would worry about being a tad off frequency,The biggest irony being those with the readouts that say 27.555.000 are rarely actual frequency counters and are more displays, so it is very very critical they are set up properly to read bang on frequency, and most of these type of Morons are the local who's radio is the frequency standard all others should be judged by, fucking laughable,

even radios with .5ppm tcxo are allowed to be +/- 54 Hz and still be classed as bang on frequency under manufacturer specs, that's why these radios have vfo's and RIT's a posh name for a clarifier, no two sideband radios will ever be the exact same frequency and all drift no matter how small or large the drift is. That's why you get frequency stability specs, I ain't seen. Radio yet that don't drift at least a few hertz from cold to warm with a decnt accurate counter and you may need 8 digits to see it but more often than not you'll even see it on 7 digit counters.

All this my radio doesn't drift pish dates back to the days people had 5 digit counters and couldn't see any drift less than 1 khz.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.