• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Modified Vector 4000

Freethought holds that individuals should neither accept nor reject ideas proposed as truth without recourse to knowledge and reason. Thus, freethinkers strive to build their opinions on the basis of facts, scientific inquiry, and logical principles, independent of any logical fallacies or the intellectually-limiting effects of authority, cognitive bias, conventional wisdom, popular culture, prejudice, sectarianism, tradition, urban legend, and all other dogmatic or otherwise fallacious principles.

Reactions: freecell
gave it some thought and decided to buy an LW-150 and give it a run, I have very flat terrain in my area to it should be a unbiased test due to that fact.

I think I'll use my kenwood ts-430s in the mobile to check s-unit readings as I think it has a more accurate s-meter than any of my "CB" radios.

I will do this check in FM mode @ 5 watts and I will use the same mounting pole that my wolf .64 is on,which is approximately 24' high @ a range of 5,10,15 and 20 miles to my mobile with the kenwood and for a predator 10-k antenna.

Any other suggestions I may consider Bob85?

Last edited:
Got my vector 4000 today,its the 3/4 wave version with the eggbeater top and longer radials.Sirio claims its improved with a lower angle of radiation,is this a sales gimmick? how can the longer radials and shorter vertical have a lower angle of radiation over the 7/8 wave version?

003.jpg

004.jpg

Got my vector 4000 today,its the 3/4 wave version with the eggbeater top and longer radials.Sirio claims its improved with a lower angle of radiation,is this a sales gimmick? how can the longer radials and shorter vertical have a lower angle of radiation over the 7/8 wave version?

003.jpg

004.jpg
I hope you bought yours off ebay, shipping is only $15.50 vs $88.20 from the HY site plus a $50 grab bag. oh boy!

"its the 3/4 wave version with the eggbeater top and longer radials.Sirio claims its improved with a lower angle of radiation,is this a sales gimmick? how can the longer radials and shorter vertical have a lower angle of radiation over the 7/8 wave version?"

212, that is the first new style vector i have seen, shops here are still selling the older 7/8 version but claiming they are 3/4wave ,

i dont know what to think about sirios claim that it is upgraded with a lower radiation angle because i have never tuned one up using radials that much longer than the old styles 90",
with regular single element groundplanes you can raise it higher above ground or isolate and choke the antenna to lower radiation angle or cause the lower angle lobe to become dominant but theres little you can do to the antenna itself to significantly alter radiation angle for a given antenna feedpoint height,

what sirio have done to the antenna can be used with skirted monopoles to steer the radiation angle towards the horizon,
my own and others tuning antics seem to indicate we are manipulating radiation angle to a greater degree than is seen when making adjustments to groundplane antennas but untill i test the new version or mod one of my older vectors i would not just accept the claim as true,

for me the extended central monopole works better at distance than the 3/4wave using the 30" hoop and 90" radial sleeve,
would the extended sleeve give even better performance with the longer central monopole??? i dont know,

i suggest both you and mackduck tune them as per instructions then take it from there and see if we can improve signals at distance,

mack, fm with no audio is the mode to use BUT 20 miles is just down the road, you may not see much improvement over the wolf.64 at that distance over flat terrain,
when i tune i use stations 50 miles plus from me which is where you see the most change in signal for any adjustment you make,
also note kenwood s-meters tend to be extremely generous on fm mode, you want the lad to drive away far enough to put his signal in the lower quadrant well outside the agc threshold of the radio,

keep me posted:pop::pop::pop:

PS "mind the porch"

Reactions: freecell
Hey Bob, I notice in the documents that the antenna is shown as 27.285 Mhz & 10 Meter Band. What do you think the significance of 27.285 is?

Is it unique to the UK?

Are you guys hearing anything about the new AstroPlane over there or anywhere for that matter?

good to see you out here eddy(y),
it means 27-28.5mhz, you can download the instruction pdf from sirio's website to get a better view, look at the tuning chart you will see different monopole length / gamma tap and gamma rod settings for different bands,
unfortunately the factory antenna uses a fixed radial sleeve setting.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.