1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

More CBers than Hams

Discussion in 'General Ham Radio Discussion' started by oldgeezer, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Tallman

Tallman
    Expand Collapse
    W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

Tokay, dank you

Riverman71 likes this.

2. undertaker

undertaker
    Expand Collapse
    Undertaker

I see dead people.......:D:D:D:D:D:D;););)

Tallman and Riverman71 like this.
  3. Tallman

Tallman
    Expand Collapse

I would venture a guess that is fine as long you don't have long meaningful conversations.

4. undertaker

undertaker
    Expand Collapse
    Undertaker

Well sometimes I ask them to cooperate with me when I am getting ready to do my thing....which is embalming...

Tallman, wavrider and Riverman71 like this.
  5. Gsalet

Gsalet
    Expand Collapse

The difference between CBers and Ham Radio operators is like the difference between the Jocks and the Stoners in High School, we all hung out with both. depending on what was going on.

Yapper and Tallman like this.
  6. StrangeBrew

StrangeBrew
    Expand Collapse

They're usually very good listeners.(y)

7. Tallman

Tallman
    Expand Collapse

And they don't interrupt very often.

8. Mudfoot

Mudfoot
    Expand Collapse

Not at all, they're all on 2 meter repeaters.

9. Mudfoot

Mudfoot
    Expand Collapse

lol

10. nomadradio

nomadradio
    Expand Collapse
    Analog Retentive

Ummm.

The original 23-channel CB allocation was 290 kHz end-to-end, 26.965 to 27.255.

The five remaining RC channels between channel 1 and 20 make the 40-channel band 450 kHz end-to-end. Ten kHz per each of 40 channels plus the five RCs.

And if you upgrade to extra, that makes your phone band 3.6 to 4.0. Darn near as wide as the 40-channel CB allocation.

Not near as many morons to ignore between 3.6 and 3.8 MHz. .

11. kopcicle

kopcicle
    Expand Collapse

How I still remember These and forget anniversaries I'll never know ...
    26.965 to 27.405
    Skip one after 3, 7, 11, 15, 19,
    then the fubar order 22, 24, 25, 23.
    Cobra
    10.240 / 1,240= 10KHz channel spacing
    10.240 / 2= 5.12 x 3 = 15.360 + 10.695 (TX osc) + .91 (Ch Selector) = 26.965. the .455 is the difference between the Tx Osc and the 10.240.
    I can count in BCD but can't (don't actually) balance a check book.
    I can calculate 3rd order image interference but can't figure out 4 : 1 baluns with out a step by step guide to hold on to .
    I can draw out a complete sweep tube amplifier from memory but need a road map to install bias on a solid state pallet .
    I can calculate density altitude, humidity, spin drift, near and far windage, Coriolis with Tan/Cos , read mirage, and get within a foot @ 1,000yds but still cut dipoles short.

Selective if not down right eclectic memory. I attribute it to what I call " the human condition" . Our individual differences as well as our commonality are what make us human. This includes rocket scientists who can't parallel park and particle physicists that can't configure and use a "glass phone" . We are human :)

Riverman71 likes this.
  12. BlowinSmoke

BlowinSmoke
    Expand Collapse

Can somebody tell me? I know a guy, not well though and he is a CB'er. He is NOT a ham. He has all ham equipment and amplifier. Claims he loves 40 and 20 meters and does "CB" too. Tell me, who talks to somebody like this on the ham bands? Is there a group of these kinds of operators (CB'ers, not hams) that operate the ham bands and chat with each other without using call signs?

13. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt
    Expand Collapse
    Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

If he does in fact NOT have his ticket then he is what is called a bootlegger or a pirate and would have to be making up a callsign or using someone elses to make contacts. Usually what happens is that a contact is made before the other operator knows this. Upon finding out that you are talking to a pirate you are obligated to end the contact immediately as hams may only talk to other licensed hams.

n8fgb likes this.
  14. BlowinSmoke

BlowinSmoke
    Expand Collapse

Yes, correct, It was always my understanding that it was up to a icensed ham to not make contact with anyone not using a proper call sign. You would be required to end transmissions with that person if this was the case. This is why I wonder who these people talk to on the ham bands. I don't know if he bootlegs a call sign. Maybe he does. Since I could pick is voice out of a crowd I guess I should listen for him on the air and see if I can find him.

15. Tallman

Tallman
    Expand Collapse

I am a ham and talk on 80, 40, 20, 10 and just about every band available. I also use cb radio. I will guarantee you before I ever keyed up a ham radio I had my general license.
    What makes you so sure he is not licensed?