• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mounting antenna bracket to pickup

codeman

Recovering Crackerhead
Jul 10, 2011
I have been using a Wilson 1000 mag mount on my pickup, which works fine. However it is too tall for my carport. I want to use a 4 or 5 foot top loaded fiberglass antenna. I have an aluminum toolbox, would it be ok to just use one of the antenna brackets made for mirrors on semis? I could drill the holes and use some good nuts and bolts to secure it. Would the paint cause any problems as far as getting a good ground. Thanks.

I run a 102 on my tool box no problem at all........... Box is bolted to bed of truck Mount bolted to tool box. no issues at all..

Reactions: codeman
Ok, I may give that a try and see how it works. I had bought a bracket to mount to my toolbox a few months ago but for some reason (laziness) i havent installed it yet.

Fixed mount on roof, use an antenna with a thin stainless steel whip such as a Sirio 4000 and just let that sucker bend when you drive in the garage. The issue you have with your current antenna is entirely down to using a magmount. Had you used a fixed mounted Wilson then it would be no issue.

As you can see I don't care and I've had no problems. I've been doing this with whips on antennas for years but I've never used magmounts. I even coiled one up in a suitcase once when I went on holiday and it came out and pinged back straight even after 24hrs being in there.

l2NJxILm.jpg

Please for the love of god if you're going to use a toolbox bond it to the bed and bond the bed to the chassis otherwise you end up with a ground plane that is only the size of the lid of your toolbox despite what your DC ohm meter tells you.

http://k0bg.com/bonding.html

Thanks for the reply, but I am going with the mount on the toolbox.i will though bond it as suggested. I don't use the radio in my pickup too much. Just want a radio in there to get some traffic reports, listen to the weather and and talk a little dx.

Just an update, I got the antenna mounted on my toolbox which is bolted to the bed and I get damn near flat swrs on 19. Channel 1 and 40 are a little higher then I like about 1.75 on the Radio Shack meter. I made contacts on side band to base stations 40 and 30 miles from me using a barefoot Uniden 980. My next step will be to bond the bed to the frame and bond ny exhaust as well.

I had the antenna swrs flat on 38, but figured I would set it to be flat on 19. This is a cheap truckstop 4' antenna that I bought in a pinch and it has served me well on the semi I drive. I think I will try one if those 5' skipshooter antennas and see how it performs.

One other thing this setup really pulls in the NOAA weather frequencies quite nicely.

Last edited:
Great to hear that!!!!

To change the subject, which radio do you prefer the Magnum 1 or the Anytone 6666. I believe you have both. Thinking about getting the Magnum myself, but not sure yet. I've read the Anytone is nice but can get rather warm.

Last edited:
I'm sure it would work really well, however my toolbox is up against the front of the bed and I know mounting it in the rear of the bed would not give satisfactory results.

I really like the magnum 1 made many contacts with that radio.
Just got the anytone installed in my truck. No contacts as of yet..

Reactions: codeman

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated