• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My experience of using the Yaesu VX-8r as a mobile

Has anybody found where replacement belt clips (original or aftermarket) for the VX8 can be ordered?

I called Vertex's 714-827-7600 customer support number and told them I needed a new clip because the one sent with the battery stripped out. I got a new one in 3 days

Same problem here... original stripped out.

Thanks for the info and the telephone number!

Called Vertex today, spoke with a young lady who sold me a new belt clip for $0.68 with free USPS First Class shipping.

Yep, I had to make a $0.68 charge on a credit card. :redface:

Called Vertex today, spoke with a young lady who sold me a new belt clip for $0.68 with free USPS First Class shipping.

Yep, I had to make a $0.68 charge on a credit card. :redface:
If you only had a debit card? how wonderful life would be.

I would really like to figure out a way to mount a real antenna on the hood, but this just may not be very feasible.

Hi everyone, this is my first post on these forums. I just got licenced in Canada and am new to ham radio. Moleculo I have the VX-8DR and am going to use as a mobile in my 2006 Ford Econoline van like you are in your RV. I was looking around for a mount that would work and I found what I was looking for. Here is the link:

http://www.walcottcb.com/hoodfender-antenna-mount-for-for-econoline-van-p-1181.html?cPath=28_353_430

VAN.jpg

I will be using this mount on my van and I will also add a Mirage BD35 35 watt amplifier as well. Thanks for all the review information on the VX-8R, it is what convinced me to get the VX-8DR which I am running APRS. Hope this helps.

Cheers

73 Darryl
VA7DTP

Take a pic of that mount on your van when you get it installed. I've seen those mounts before, but never installed. I was considering putting one of those on my RV's hood, which is a Ford van based chassis.

My only .02 on that. I prefer the SMA to BNC adapter on the radio and using BNC for the connection. This way if you wear out the BNC, you just replace the adapter on the HT rather than having regular on/off wear of the SMA that is a built in component.

VX-8R Mobile Power Supply

Great info on the use of the Yaesu as a mobile. I primarily use mine as a hand-held, but want to use it as a mobile to track driving trips. I have a mobile mag mount antenna and now need to build a power supply. I know that the wall charger will not support transmitting (current too big). Did you use the Yaesu cigarette lighter plug (advertised as 12VDC with "filter"), or did you build something different? I don't know what kind of power rating I need to allow, and what might be too much.

Thanks for the suggestions....

Did you use the Yaesu cigarette lighter plug (advertised as 12VDC with "filter"), or did you build something different? I don't know what kind of power rating I need to allow, and what might be too much.

Yes, I went the easy/lazy route and just bought the Yaesu cigarette lighter adapter with filter. You could build one yourself for a lot cheaper, if you wanted to.

Honestly, with the extended battery pack, you an use it for quite a while without it plugged in, though.

So I got a better view of the mount and it would be ok for a short antenna, say 40" max. I am going with a longer antenna now about 55". I am going to make my own mount that will support a heavier one. It will be similar to this one just not as heavy duty. It will work out much better than a purchased one. I will make it out of stainless steel and put it on the drivers side. Once I get it made and mounted I'll snap a pic and post the specs.
Cheers
73 Darryl
VA7DTP
main.php

Last edited:
That looks like a sturdy mount, and wouldn't be too difficult to make. My MillerMatic wire welder and scrap steel might find themselves at work on something similar soon. Good idea. (y)

Well I said that I would get the mount made and here it is. The mount was cut out using a Water Jet cutter. It is made from 12 gauge stainless steel. It is 2 3/4" tall, 2" wide, is angled 15 degrees for the slope of my 2006 Ford E-250 van and has a 5/8" hole for my antenna. The mount bolts to the fender using the fenders own mounting bolt for the base and 2 #10 machine screws into the side of the fender for extra stability. It is rock solid. I am using it with a Comet CA-2x4SR antenna. Hows that for a mount. (y)

Attachments

• IMG_3344.jpg
    IMG_3344.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_3331.jpg
    IMG_3331.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_3332.jpg
    IMG_3332.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_3334.jpg
    IMG_3334.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_3336.jpg
    IMG_3336.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 456
Moleculo,

In regards to the road vibration you described, have you considered putting a piece of foam rubber on the dash underneath the radio? If the radio was pushed down on the foam it might reduce the amount of vibration. Just a thought...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?