• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My First Radio

Peter Walker

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Feb 23, 2011
I wasn't quite sure which forum this should go in because it could go either way depending on the advice given. Things have fallen into place financially for me and it looks like I will be getting my first radio by the end of this week. I'm super excited to the say the least. Anyway, before I commit to buying anything I wanted to get some input on what everyone thinks would be the best choice for a first radio.

My plan is to get a Yaesu FT 897D because it is an all mode radio. It will cover what I can do as a Technician and it will have what I can do when I get my General ticket next month. Is that a good choice or is there a better choice for the same amount or less money? Also, what will I need as far as a power supply goes, tuner, and anything else I might need for my first setup?

I did a reply but it didn't post.........897D is nice,i went with a TS2000 and also bought a handheld for mobile.

Peter: Just a few examples of supplies below...First a descent econo PS

R&L Electronics 800-221-7735

This one I have had for 6/7 years...no issues...needs cleaned once in awhile(Fans) and blow out the heat sinks(Like any switcher)...

R&L Electronics 800-221-7735

Tuners...tough subject...never like auto tuners
(just tolerate then now days)
My Main Tuners are both manual...Tuners are one of the Coolest first projects...build a nice 4/500 watter for less than $100...Hamfest goodies...$30 bucks...parts for a tuner can be had cheap...

You might want to consider a good wattmeter...not Great...just good..."it's only relative!":D...Figure your needs and shop around...
Enjoy
All the Best
BJ

Peter,

If it's not too late, you might consider the optional power supply that snaps into the bottom of the 897D. It really is a nice option and makes the rig very portable.

BTW, other rigs in your price range that you might consider:

Kenwood TS-2000 (already mentioned): It's a good all around radio and has some interesting features like crossband repeat, a decent receiver, a built-in tuner, and dual receive

Icom IC-7000 - A better receiver than both the 897D and TS-2000 (IMO). It's small but full featured. It's really a mobile but makes a fine compact base rig.

You'll find that as you start looking at the better rigs, the price goes up pretty rapidly. Personally, I think starting with a rig like the 897D is a good idea because you can get on all of the commonly used bands without spending an absolute fortune (which is relative, you know).

If you want an autotuner, the LDG AT-897 is the way to go with that radio. It screws to the side of the radio so you can have a very portable rig.

One question I have is, is there any type of power strip that will connect into the power supply terminals that will allow you to run more than one device?

Yes, you can use something like the RigRunner: West Mountain Radio - RIGrunner 4005 Horizontal COMPLETE

Or, you can do it the cheap way like most people do and just run as many wires as you want directly to the power supply terminals. Just don't exceed the capacity of the power supply.

Sounds like you're 'getting there'. Good!

The rest of this is just some 'nut'-n-'bolts' kind of things, nothing absolutely definite, just more of that 'relative' stuff.
Connectors for that 'power strip'. Use something that is easy and simple. I really think those 'Anderson PowerPoles' are nice. The right size will handle anything you are ever likely to put through them, and they are can be made 'keyed' so that you can't make a wrong connection unless you really try. Use whatever connector normally connects to the device, naturally, then the 'APP's. They are getting to be a 'standard' for a very good reason.
Tuners.
I wouldn't recommend using one unless you need to. And when you need to, use one that fits what/where/when it's needed. I have had a 'built-in' tuner on almost every radio I've had. They are VERY handy to have. I also have a 'large' one for those times where that 'little' built-in tuner can't handle things. That 'large' tuner isn't automatic, the auto-tuners sometimes can't 'find' a suitable match where you can sort of 'fudge' with a manual tuner to make something 'usable'. There are quite a few 'used'/older tuners that work as well as anything new, keep that in mind (and they typically are cheaper!).
Antennas.
If you spend 20 years using the same antenna you started with, never change, then you are very, very unusual! 'Curiosity' doesn't always pay-off, but sometimes you might be pleasantly surprised. I like wire antennas. They are easy to make, 'cheap', fairly simple, and will work as well as almost anything else if 'done' right'. The biggy is that they usually come closer to 'fitting' the typical places/situations/circumstances for most people. Another example of that 'relative' thingy.
At the risk of ruining my reputation, brands of radio are more or less unimportant. They all offer about the same performance and capabilities. Don't get too tied up in the 'name game'. And naturally, if you ain't got Kenwood, you got squat! ;)
The whole idea is to be happy/satisfied with what you happen to have in equipment (at the time). If it works, it works.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

Peter,I was just about to get the 897D but then desided on the TS2000 being it was not as menu operated/driven as the 897D(hope I said that right).....This hobby could get more expencive then owning a couple Harleys hahahaha..

Pssssssssst Peter we will end up like the rest of these folks with 1-5 rigs on the desk and a few extra tunners with a few amps and ps's under the desk and a box full of dipoles with different bulans on them....

I am very happy with my 897,
HF 2 meters and 440 with all modes that is small enough to make it portable yet has enough mass in the chassis to dissipate the heat of a 100 watt radio.
I am running one with a AT-200Pro and the set works well together.
I enjoy camping in the summer and it goes with us.
All you need is something for a antenna and 12 volts and it is a done deal.
Enjoy.

Jeff

Just an update.

My first radio arrived today. I wound up getting a used Yaesu FT 897D. I'm really excited. Time to read the manual. I ordered an Antron 99 antenna from H&Y Electronics so hopefully it will be here by Monday. I had the opportunity to see an Antron in action during the Gulf War so I know it works and for me would make a good first antenna. Next thing I need to do is come up with a 2 meter antenna. I have been reading a lot on the internet about different 2 meter designs but haven't really found anything that I'm willing to spend time on building yet. Anyone know of a good commercial 2 meter antenna for permanent mounting use?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?