• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My Kenwood TS-440 bites when keyed

Tallman

KW4YJ Honorary Member Silent Key
May 1, 2013
Louisville, KY
I have not been on the air for some time. I went upstairs to fix up an amplifier for somebody on this forum.
Well since I was sitting there working I turned the Kenwood on and hopped around the bands and found 14.265 busy so I stopped and listened. There was a lull and I keyed up to see if I could reach them. When I keyed up I felt a tingle in my hand. What The Florida? My station grounds are good and the radio is connected to the antenna through a 1:1 balun. I am puzzled. Any one encounter this before?

The RF output of the radio should be traveling along the inside surface of the coax shield. The 'bite' tells you that there is RF current on the outside of the shield. Short version of the explanation is that the coax has become an element of your antenna system, in addition to being the feedline. This is never a good thing.

There is more than one way for this to happen with the antenna attached. But if it does this on the dummy load, you have a bad coax jumper.

Period.

Yeah my comment about the hot chassis wouldn't hold up if it only happens when he keys up. It would be there all the time. It's amazing what can be learned by going back and reading things again. LOL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.