• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My little radio and semi-pro audio shack

fourstringburn

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member K5KNM
Feb 11, 2007
NEW MEXICO
IMG_20150108_154618_zps87eb1f79.jpg

Large format mixer and studio monitors are for my home studio recording audio gear, I do use a small format Yamaha MG-10 mixer (not visible) to interface boom mounted mic to HF radios

IMG_20150108_1738101_zpsd622c343.jpg

IMG_20150108_173638_zpsee9a3499.jpg

IMG_20150108_182044_zps24a10e09.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks, and why not?

The audio gear is for my musical enjoyment recording demos for myself and other people.

The pics may be misleading. I don't interface my audio gear with my HF rig.

The ribbon mic on the boom would be the exception since I use it for both.

Thanks for looking.

very tidy. what padding are you using on the walls?
Thanks for looking!

All that padding is foam padding used to put on top of bed mattresses to provide more cushion.

I found that years ago at Walmart I believe, and works well for a cheap way to provide sound dampening and has that old egg crate appearence, and is hung with thumbtacks into the wall.

What kind of ribbon microphone is that?
Thanks for looking , that's the AEA R84 ribbon mic.

Expensive but worth it for clear, uncolored SSB audio. Ribbon mics go back a long time and were widely used during the golden age of broadcast radio.

They are still highly regarded today but there use is usually limited to studio recording due to their fragile nature.

Pic below is a newscaster with a now highly prized RCA 44 ribbon mic.
elmer.jpg

Reactions: Steve_Buckeye
I wonder how it would compare to an electro-voice re 20 with the RE20 at half the price?
Thanks for looking , that's the AEA R84 ribbon mic.

Expensive but worth it for clear, uncolored SSB audio. Ribbon mics go back a long time and were widely used during the golden age of broadcast radio.

They are still highly regarded today but there use is usually limited to studio recording due to their fragile nature.

Pic below is a newscaster with a now highly prized RCA 44 ribbon mic.
elmer.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder how it would compare to an electro-voice re 20 at half the price?
It's a question of personal tastes and what you're looking for in your transmit audio, and more importantly if is being used on a CB or HF radio.

The RE-20 is a very fine mic and many people use them on SSB with excellent results. The Shure SM7B and the affordable Shure SM58 are widely used too and are worth looking into as well. They are all dynamic mics and have their own sound even before any processing is used. This isn't a bad thing by the way.

Ribbon mics that are designed like the vintage mics of yesteryear is about as pure and uncolored voice quality as you're going to get with a full range flat frequency responce of 20 Hz to 20 KHz. Many other mics like the RE20 frequency response curve is 45 Hz to 18 KHz.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Very nice setup fourstringburn! What you say you do again?? What band you travel with??;):D. Or you play yourself?? At any rate, sweet little studio you have there!!!

In my opinion the RE20 is over rated however it is a very good microphone. We used them in our main broadcast studios but replaced them with Sennheiser MD-421's. The difference was quite noticeable. The MD-421 has a much higher output level, better ability to handle really loud volumes, a bit better bass response and better overall audio presence. It also picks up less background noise off-axis than the RE20. It also has a rotary five position switch mounted on the rear by the connector which is a roll-off filter which greatly changes the sound. I use one on my Heath amateur radio AM station and it sounds superb. Don't get me wrong, the RE20 is a good mic and you will see a lot of them in use at home studios and amateur radio stations operated by professional audio or broadcast techs but I often wonder if the reason is because they were obtained quite cheaply or even free when they were replaced.

As for that RCA44 pictured above, I have an RCA ribbon mic that looks like that one but just not sure the model number. I forget since it has been so long. I must dig it out and check it out sometime. Got a couple old Shure "salt and pepper" mics too. Again the model number eludes me at the moment.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Very nice setup fourstringburn! What you say you do again?? What band you travel with??;):D. Or you play yourself?? At any rate, sweet little studio you have there!!!
I play with myself! LOL.

Thanks for looking and thanks for the compliment. I don't really play with any bands right now but I still enjoy playing music as a classically trained pianist and hard rock/metal bass player. Hence the moniker, Fourstringburn.

Reactions: Riverman
No I get it totally. And I get the being hard core for sure!! Like I said, nice little studio ya got there man. I'm sure you can rock out in there and sound great as well. Been a while since I have seen that much stuff. One of my ex girlfriend's Dad was a musician and sang at weddings and events and such. Big Italian dude. At any rate. As long as you are having a good time, then it's all worth the effort to make it as neat as you have it. Job well done!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated