• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My Setup

Short subject change...

What's that 4040 dude from Florida use?

I hear him on 38L all the time. He sounds pretty good. I only run stock stuff, as I am not interested in HiFi audio, but I do like the sound as long as it ain't parked a few kc from me on a crowded band.
4040?
He uses a Yaesu FT-2000(?), ProTools w/computer, and a ElectroVoice RE-20. He's a local around here - BTW.
4020?
He lives in FL. Uses the same radio that 4040 does, has a 6 element Quad beam, power, and uses a few different mics. Some processing. I know Mike fairly well, I guess

I use BBE processing. It was designed for commercial radio use and it really works quite well if you don't overuse it. Where do you have it in the audio chain? Does the chain as pictured represent the signal flow from preamp down?

I appreciate good audio on 38L.

Lately, I have been hearing many distorted stations that are painful to my ears.

Lots of clipped splatter chatter anymore.

The BBE process is a patented device that will time/delay the mid and high frequencies so that they are time-aligned with the bass frequencies to arrive at your ear correctly. They can easily make the mid-range more clear and sound less crowded.

Gets a bit sticky where you place it in the chain; the amount of compression can severely alter a frequency response. I would use it after all of the other processing.

EDIT:
see bold print

Last edited:
Yep....Dave suggested the BBE sonic maximizer to me.....it sounds great...Dave is the only person I have made contact with that I know of from this web site....he has great sounding audio coming from his hifi modded 148.....that is why I am wanting one. :)

Short subject change...

What's that 4040 dude from Florida use?

I hear him on 38L all the time. He sounds pretty good. I only run stock stuff, as I am not interested in HiFi audio, but I do like the sound as long as it ain't parked a few kc from me on a crowded band.

4040 is "On The Dock of The Bay" look it up.

The BBE process is a patented device that will time/delay the mid and high frequencies so that they are time-aligned to arrive at your ear correctly. They can easily make the mid-range more clear and sound less crowded.

Gets a bit sticky where you place it in the chain; the amount of compression can severely alter a frequency response. I would use it after all of the other processing.

Same here. I have it just before my tubed compressor/limiter which precedes the mic input. I was curious as to other's experiences with it. Good piece of gear in my experience. I originally used it (and still do) in my recording chain.

Last edited:
Hey Dave, very nice setup! Looks like the only piece of equipment you need to add is a bigger desk. :laugh: Hope to catch you on the air sometime.

RT307

I use BBE processing. It was designed for commercial radio use and it really works quite well if you don't overuse it. Where do you have it in the audio chain? Does the chain as pictured represent the signal flow from preamp down?

In this order in the audio chain

Mic- MXL V69 with an upgraded tube-nos Amperex Bugle Boy12AU7 , I mix it up with a Blue Spark mic at times, both sound awesome but the v69 has a more of a warmer rich sound which I love.

Pre Amp- Electro Harmonix 12ay7 with upgraded tubes, nos Mullard 12at7,Rca 12au7 black plates.

Exciter- BBE 882i I love this thing and what it does..lol

Eq- Speck ASC 4 band parametric eq, Transparent, No color no mojo, surgical, precise.

Compressor- Pro VLA 2 with upgraded tubes

Effects- Behringer dsp 2024p ads airyness.

Radio- Old school Modded 148gtl

Using balanced xlr cable throughout the chain.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Hey Dave, very nice setup! Looks like the only piece of equipment you need to add is a bigger desk. :laugh: Hope to catch you on the air sometime.

RT307

If I hear ya out there I'll give you a shout :)

Most of that gear is some fairly high-end stuff. Especially for CB radio. Wonder if anyone on this forum knows what a BBE process is and what it does - for that matter.

The tube mic uses a real tube that gets real voltage to operate as they did decades ago (I have/use the same one BTW). So does the Electro/Harmonix tube preamp. The EQ is 'Top Drawer' too - wow! The Pro VLA II is a decent compressor. Some have said it is ". . .most ridiculously underpriced and overperforming pieces of gear - ever". Never used one; but if it uses opto-compressor circuitry - then it can't be bad. Not a bad job - at all!

My only question is: "why haven't you got a ham rig or a license yet"?

I'm happy working 11 meters and Free band

In this order in the audio chain

Mic- MXL V69 with an upgraded tube-nos Amperex Bugle Boy12AU7 , I mix it up with a Blue Spark mic at times, both sound awesome but the v69 has a more of a warmer rich sound which I love.

Pre Amp- Electro Harmonix 12ay7 with upgraded tubes, nos Mullard 12at7,Rca 12au7 black plates.

Exciter- BBE 882i I love this thing and what it does..lol

Eq- Speck ASC 4 band parametric eq, Transparent, No color no mojo, surgical, precise.

Compressor- Pro VLA 2 with upgraded tubes

Effects- Behringer dsp 2024p ads airyness.

Radio- Old school Modded 148gtl

Using balanced xlr cable throughout the chain.

Thanks for this. Very nice setup indeed. (I just realized you stated this in your earlier post. I had to re-read it again. Sorry about that. I was happy to see someone else using BBE).

Last edited:
This seem to work very well for me with its built in lowend curve
Kick Drum mic Audix D6
D6.jpg

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?