• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My Stryker 447 plus my TS350 with a Siro 5000

70cst

Dec 4, 2009
This afternoon I finally got around to hooking up my 447 with my TS350 and switched out my Wilson 1000 for a Siro 5000 Antenna.

I had to go to a shop to verify my antenna match and it was spot on w/o any adjustment needed. I was pleasantly surprised that this radio has very little white noise which I cannot say about my SS 158 that I had a while back. As far as TX...I got great reports on solid audio. The TS 350 was set about 3/4 power. As far as receive....there is no doubt that the Siro 5000 outperformed the Wilson 1000 it replaced. It was apparent that I was able to pick up distant conversations that I was not able to get with the 1000. After one day I was well pleased with this set up.

My next comparison is to compare it to my 95T2.

Last edited:

your findings are inline with what we see here in our tests, the sirio outperforms the wilson 1000 or 5000 on most cars, it also rides stiffer so less signal fluctuation on the move(y)

Reactions: 1 person
The 447 is a pretty hot radio for a TS350, what was the dead key and swing settings?

Not sure. Doug at Custom CB matched the pair and he said to keep the Power set at min. and I would be good to go. All the reports have been positive so looks like it's doing what Doug said it would do.

Not sure. Doug at Custom CB matched the pair and he said to keep the Power set at min. and I would be good to go. All the reports have been positive so looks like it's doing what Doug said it would do.

I'd have thought matching the radio to amp would be best done with the rf power on the radio set to the maximum output level the amps input can handle, that way you can vary your power without ever over driving the amp.

doing it at minimum would mean if you accidently had the power turned up and keyed up you'd either over drive the amp or damage the amp.

i might be missing something here.:confused:

Reactions: 1 person
I'd have thought matching the radio to amp would be best done with the rf power on the radio set to the maximum output level the amps input can handle, that way you can vary your power without ever over driving the amp.

doing it at minimum would mean if you accidently had the power turned up and keyed up you'd either over drive the amp or damage the amp.

i might be missing something here.:confused:

I don't think that is realistic with higher powered export radio's. Your concept sounds ok but I have never had it done that way.

Most Exports that have variable power let you adjust the AM dead key from say 1-8 watts. This way if you run barefoot you can turn it up, and when you want to run power just turn it all the way down.

I would imagine Doug set the low dead key to maybe 1.75 watts with 25-30 watts peak. Wide open that Stryker might key 8-9 watts and swing 50 ish watts.

If that were my radio amp combo I would be vary happy with that.

I don't think that is realistic with higher powered export radio's. Your concept sounds ok but I have never had it done that way.

Most Exports that have variable power let you adjust the AM dead key from say 1-8 watts. This way if you run barefoot you can turn it up, and when you want to run power just turn it all the way down.

I would imagine Doug set the low dead key to maybe 1.75 watts with 25-30 watts peak. Wide open that Stryker might key 8-9 watts and swing 50 ish watts.

If that were my radio amp combo I would be vary happy with that.

Never known anyone yet that uses a linear, unplug it to run barefoot, that would be a first in over 30 years of cb experience for me. i've seen them unplug it because they blew the arse out it over driving it, but never to run barefoot. people who buy linears, generally speaking don't do barefoot.

i certainly wouldn't be putting a linear on a radio that keys 1.75w and peaks 30w, how distorted is that input signal??? a 1.75w carrier should peak around7w at 100% modulation, at 30w peak, what do you think that modulation percentage is at 30w peak?

its not a concept, its the way i've set up every linear/radio combo i've ever used, the secret is to use a linear that can take your full radio input, or buy a high powered radio that really is high powered, in which case you shouldn't need an amp anyway.

incidentally that is exactly the same concept that allows the alc to operate within the radio. its set to a certain output level, and no matter how hard you try and drive the input, the output will never go above the preset level.

the exact same thing happens to radios with defeated alc as happens to linears that have been driven exceeding their max input, burnt out amplifier transistor/s.

so leaving a variable power control outputting max amp input at minimum setting in normal use is suicidal if you forget its set to max and key into the amp, just like keying a radio with a fully defeated alc is suicidal.

Jazz, all I can say is EVERY radio I ever had set up was done up like I said. You don't have to REMOVE the amp to run barefoot. That's the whole point having variable power to me, so you can dial many different amps in or run barefoot.

Anyway, not really worth the debate. Run your stuff how ya want. By the way, 1.75 swinging 30 into a 2 pill with 2879's kicks A$$. Done it many many times with outstanding results.

Flame away I'm done with this thread.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.