• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need a mic I do.

Too bad your radio got some damage. Maybe re-bend the fan housing or just take it off if it won't collect too much dust.

The tuner could be bad or possibly your antenna is too far out of range for it tune. Most built in tuners on HF rigs won't tune an antenna higher than a 3.1 SWR.

As for mics, you just need to get the mic wiring for your Xtreme 2018 and compare it to the your Kenwood. Be sure to look at the Kenwood diagram carefully to determine what side is pins 1-4 and pins 8-5. Most likely you only need to wire pins 1, 2, and 7.

Here is the 8 pin Kenwood wiring for your radio and other Kenwood models

KENWOOD-TS-50-60-140-430-440-450-570-660-670-780-930-430-670-711 TS-811-850-870-930-940-950-440-701-790-680-690-TS-2000
TR-3200-7900-7950-50-751-851
TM-201A-201B-401A-TM401B-211-221-231-241-321-331-3530-421-431-441-521-531-541
TM-621-631-701-721-731-2530-2550-2570
TW4000-4100

PIN1 MIC
PIN2 PTT
PIN3 DOWN
PIN4 UP
PIN5 + 8VOLT Some models ( 10 Ma )
PIN6 (N/C Some models )
PIN7 MIC GROUND.
PIN8 GROUND ( STBY )

8mini.jpg
I have a 4pin cobra to icom 8 pin adapter. I'm just going to swap that over to kenwood. I am good with the tx, the shield, and the ptt. The black ground is on pin 6 right now. can I just swap that to pin 8?

I have a 4pin cobra to icom 8 pin adapter. I'm just going to swap that over to kenwood. I am good with the tx, the shield, and the ptt. The black ground is on pin 6 right now. can I just swap that to pin 8?

If you're sure the black wire is ground, than yes pin 8.

Where are you putting the shield?

I put the shield on 7. It seems to work. I desoldered d135, but no 11 meters. Would I have to snip d130 for all band transmit to get 11 meters? I think I need to start a thread about this radio so you all can help me figure it out, lol.

Why did you desolder D135? that is for the "true" MARS mod, it is not the ALL BAND mod.

See post 25

BTW: the 940 has two fans.. they both require periodic cleaning and lubing or they WILL fail.

Last edited:
Reactions: 338_MtRushmore
I did order the mfj290 hand mic, but I got the 8 pin modular. :mad: After a lot more research and consideration I did some ebay shopping this morning.

Behringer XM8500 mic
Used Heil PL-2T boom with XLR cable
Shock mount
3/8" to 5/8" mic mount adapter
(5) 8 pin mic plugs
6' male to female mono cable
For a total of $86

I just need to find a momentary switch to fit in the xlr end I'll cut off for a ptt. I really hope I can learn to like a boom, because I have almost no room for a desk mic. I guess we will see what happens.

I did talk to some locals on 10m that said I was on frequency, but had a little hum in my tx. Hopefully that is just the mic I was using. My receive is 180 hertz high, so that is kind of annoying when trying to tune a signal.

I just need to find a momentary switch to fit in the xlr end I'll cut off for a ptt
Heil makes XLR cables with PTT pigtails. These are usually around $25 and comes in numerous radio plug ends. then you can make your own switch for desktop or whatever.

You can barely make your own cable for much less.

Heil makes XLR cables with PTT pigtails. These are usually around $25 and comes in numerous radio plug ends. then you can make your own switch for desktop or whatever.

You can barely make your own cable for much less.
I was just planing to make the cable since the boom came with an xlr. Does heil use a different radio connector? My only thought was the xlr and ptt cable will be a tight fit. This should still work, correct?

I was just planing to make the cable since the boom came with an xlr. Does heil use a different radio connector? My only thought was the xlr and ptt cable will be a tight fit. This should still work, correct?
Yes it is a tight fit that's why I suggested these cables. They come in a different pinouts from 3 pin to 8 pin for different radios. You probably will have to simply move the wires around on the mic pins to match your radio.

Here is a pic of the cable with a 3 pin XLR to a 8 pin with a 1/4 in PTT input jack.

HLS-CC-1-XLR-K.jpg

I gave myself a budget of $100 for a mic. If I can make the cable I will come in under $90. Coming in under budget on this project should allow me to blow my next budget by a good 150%. See, I'm already learning this ham math.

Reactions: 2RT307
I gave myself a budget of $100 for a mic. If I can make the cable I will come in under $90. Coming in under budget on this project should allow me to blow my next budget by a good 150%. See, I'm already learning this ham math.
You can live without the shock mount. Those are really for sensitive condenser mics used in the recording studio. The only reason why people use them is for the look because they really aren't necessary. That should free up your budget some.

I was mistaken on the Heil cables, they are more like $40.00

You need to slip 2 wires out of the mic connector for the PTT line, just use 24 gauge wires and you should be able to slip them out of the mic connector. Make sure you use the radio ground and not a mic ground if doing this on a 8 pin HF rig.

http://www.vibroplex.com/contents/en-us/d9155.html
$79.00

INRAD M629 Microphone
M629 is one of our two line leaders. A stylish microphone delivering full sounding SSB audio for any modern HF transceiver. Featuring a brilliant cardioid dynamic element with excellent frequency response. They'll think you're running an expensive German mic into the rig. $79.

l_m629_web_00_.jpg

Introductory special: Buy an INRAD microphone and receive adapter of your choice at no charge. Expires 9/30/17.

HIEL HS-2 Hand Switch
F.S. HEIL HS-2 Hand Swith (NIB)
Heil Sound HS-2 pistol grip hand switches terminate in a 1/4 in.
phone plug for connection to the 1/4 in. female pigtail of the Heil Microphone Adapter Cables and Headset Adapter Cables,
thus providing push-to-talk (PTT) control of almost any transceiver and microphone combination.
Asking $20.00 plus shipping, No trades. PayPal plus 3% or Money Order. Funds must clear before I ship.
Thanks for looking:)
Listing #1347663 by N1TQP
Submitted on 09/29/17
Submitted from c-71-234-76-114.hsd1.ma.comcast.net
1347663.jpg

https://swap.qth.com/view_ad.php?counter=1347663

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.