• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need a small radio

Oldtimer

May 20, 2008
Stuart Florida
Hi guys & gals.

We bought a Jeep Patriot and need a small radio ( smaller than a cobra 25 ) smaller the better.

There isn't much room to put one of normal size. I would like one with just a little bitty kick to it without having to put an amp in the jeep.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks.

God Bless †

I have had great luck with Uniden 510 / 520's. Small radio that works well. I always changed out the mic for something different and the best combo which got me the most compliments was a 510 / dm452 mic. Most people thought I was running an export instead.

Last edited:
Uniden PC122XL.
best small radio with ssb capabilities money can buy.

if you aren't into ssb, you can always go with the little Cobra 19 ultra IIIs. I have 2 of them, decent little am radio, loud speaker, very compact. They are sold at practically every walmart in the country for 35 or 40 bux If you dont want to wait and need the radio now.

Reactions: hillbilly101
The max log 8900 or the uniden pc122xl. The optima mk3 would work well but would require some room behind the unit for the fan the operate correctly. The only other one is the uniden 980, while it's not a powerhouse, it's a clean radio and isn't big. A small amp can be added pretty easy and won't take much space either. Look around. But as far as a powerful radio the optima mk3 has the most power out of all the radios I listed at 50watts. Now here is one. It will cost much more than any of the radios I listed but can be made to take up very little space. A kenwood ts480, an icom 7000 or a yaseu 857. If money weren't an issue I would look into the latter radios. And make sure to have a good antenna setup If I didn't already say that. Good day.

Reactions: hotrod
The max log 8900 or the uniden pc122xl. The optima mk3 would work well but would require some room behind the unit for the fan the operate correctly. The only other one is the uniden 980, while it's not a powerhouse, it's a clean radio and isn't big. A small amp can be added pretty easy and won't take much space either. Look around. But as far as a powerful radio the optima mk3 has the most power out of all the radios I listed at 50watts. Now here is one. It will cost much more than any of the radios I listed but can be made to take up very little space. A kenwood ts480, an icom 7000 or a yaseu 857. If money weren't an issue I would look into the latter radios. And make sure to have a good antenna setup If I didn't already say that. Good day.
i agree with this completely. i also know what the liberty looks like inside .parents own 1 . to add to this if ya only want am only look into the cobra 19 .and as someone else stated the superstar 452 is a great mic on those lil radios.unfortunatly theres not many options for a small radio that packs a lil punch.

I've had a really small Realistic in my storage cabinet for quite sometime. What's so neat about it, the mic has channel selector buttons on the top which is really handy. With a good antenna system, your in business cheap. If your interested, I can send photo's as well as specs if interested. The little radio is just like new.

The Cobra has a PA function, does not have ANL.
The Uniden has ANL, does not have PA.
The Uniden 520 (not referenced) has PA and ANL and RF Gain control.
Uniden owners manual specs show the 510/520 are the same dimensions.

What features matter?

I made a Uniden BCT15X and a 980 fit in my Commander - mount 'em to either side of the transmission hump, and you're GTG! :cool:

P9032377_zps3e9bb1ea.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated