• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

need help with antenna mast

Bearcat

Oct 25, 2015
All you operators that have put up antennas...(stationmaster)

1.whats is the best way to get a standard antenna mounted on a push up mast...what steps is the easiest? Either free standing or against the side of a house.

2.how much weight can these poles handle (yes it has guy rings!)...can they handle something like a 3 element beam and rotor??

Thank u peeps

I would not put a 3 element beam and rotor on a push up mast period! JMHO. Get the proper tower for that kind of antenna. Verticals are a bit more forgiving, but you do need to watch the weight. Anything over 12-14lbs is getting heavy!! And it places a lot of strain on the poles themselves. Guyed or not. The guy wires are there just for support, not to bear the weight of a large antenna. If you want a beam type antenna that is light, look into building yourself a moxon antenna and place it at 20ft. It will work well for dx. And with some ingenuity you could probably rig something to turn it without the use of a rotor. Think pulleys and such. Just some food for thought. If you buy the tornado you will be great at 36ft with a push up pole. And if you search around you'll find there is a mod to make the tornado into a true DC grounded antenna. Not hard.

Reactions: Bearcat
I would not put a 3 element beam and rotor on a push up mast period! JMHO. Get the proper tower for that kind of antenna. Verticals are a bit more forgiving, but you do need to watch the weight. Anything over 12-14lbs is getting heavy!! And it places a lot of strain on the poles themselves. Guyed or not. The guy wires are there just for support, not to bear the weight of a large antenna. If you want a beam type antenna that is light, look into building yourself a moxon antenna and place it at 20ft. It will work well for dx. And with some ingenuity you could probably rig something to turn it without the use of a rotor. Think pulleys and such. Just some food for thought. If you buy the tornado you will be great at 36ft with a push up pole. And if you search around you'll find there is a mod to make the tornado into a true DC grounded antenna. Not hard.

Ok...no beam at the moment...how do you install the antenna? I was a one man band last time...easiest way?

Walking it up to side of house with help of as many helpers you can round up will make things go smoother and keep the antenna from getting bent. But IDK what you plan to use mast. A push up pole will easiest. Dig a deep hole drop mast in and level it then concrete it ln place. I have one I have to pick up. It's a 40ft one. I plan to run it right where my existing mast pipe is, right along side of chimney and mounted to both house and chimney and guyed very well. But I'll have to pull permit from the city to do this as its a bit taller than anything I have put up and I don't want to press my luck as they are required for any tower, which I'm sure the push up mast would fall under tnis rule, I'll check but am sure it is. Anyway. Depending on what you plan to do, and what you pla to use and exactly what antenna you're getting, might be a bit more helpful for all of us and you as well. I've put up a push up pipe and know they need to be guyed and also concrete poured to do it correctly. Just like a larger tower would. JMHO. You damn sure don't want the whole thing to collapse and possibly damage other houses around you. Doing it right the first time if possible is the best way. Some have money restrictions or other issues, and have to resort to other ways. I use pipe that just slides into each other and some SS bolt and nut setups. Lowers just like a push up mast and stops at about waist height above roof. Makes working on the antenna a breeze when it's lowered. Use some galavanized schedule 40 pipe and step it down from like 2.5in. to about 1.75". Or just get a good push up pole. Rohn makes some good stuff. Good luck and keep us informed.

Reactions: Marconi
Attach to house get on roof that is how I have always done it.. Push up pole that is.

Thanks 22 and undertaker! What I have is a 35ft rohn push up pole...theres only one side of the house I can push this antenna up.. The other side has electrical wires. Has the guy rings ECT. Planning on a tornado...maco v58...or maybe gainmaster type antennas...or a light starduster

Do not try to walk up an extended push up pole with the antenna on it. Secure the pole first and get your guy wires cut and installed. Once it's straight you can collapse the sections and install the antenna. You can cut all your guys using Pythagora's theorem. If you don't remember this from high school geometry Google it and you can find a calculator.

I have a piece of pipe about 4 feet in the ground with concrete. The push up pole drops into this pipe. When I collapse the pole I can reach the antenna with a ladder. Use at least 3 guys at each section. If you just secure the top it will buckle in a wind storm.

I attached my 43 ft. fiberglass push-up pole to the top of the eave at the "A" frame with eave brackets Radio shack sold. These can still be purchased online. This works well for my setup and makes a solid support for the lower mid sections, then I only use 1 set of guy rings and wires near the top and never had a problem even with 60 mph wind gusts. A free standing antenna will need more guy rings and wires to give this same kind of support.

Since it's a pushup pole, I extend the pushup pole just above the roof, then take the antenna up on the roof and attach it there, then finish extending the pole to it's maximum height with guy rings and wires already attached of course then secure the guy wires, Done!

These types of push-up poles are only for lightweight antennas like dipoles and fiberglass verticals, they are not designed for beams and rotors.

Reactions: 222DBFL
Do not try to walk up an extended push up pole with the antenna on it. Secure the pole first and get your guy wires cut and installed. Once it's straight you can collapse the sections and install the antenna. You can cut all your guys using Pythagora's theorem. If you don't remember this from high school geometry Google it and you can find a calculator.

I have a piece of pipe about 4 feet in the ground with concrete. The push up pole drops into this pipe. When I collapse the pole I can reach the antenna with a ladder. Use at least 3 guys at each section. If you just secure the top it will buckle in a wind storm.

This is the way in going to approach this!! Excellent advice..

543 and fourstringburn both nailed it. It's what I do with my antennas. Mount mast pipe to roof and walk antenna up and attach to mast. It's not very hard. Just secure it well at both the bottom and like said at points either where guyed wires will be used or an eave mount. I would dig down further than ft though. 3-4ft at least and pour a bag of quick-rete in and set it level. You don't want the antenna to swing out from the bottom either which can and I've personally seen myself. So if you don't use concrete, make sure it's well deep enough into the ground. Like 4ft or more. With the concrete you can get by with 30"-36". Some may disagree but one seen one come up and it was at about 24" with not much concrete and it was a bitch to get back right!! Just my experiences and JMHO.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated