• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

need help with my prostar 400

KD8NKK

Feb 20, 2010
hamilton ohio
i tryed to check in to a net with my prostar 400 on usb and they told me that i was way off frequency. i can here fine but when i tx thats when it goes wrong. am is fine just ssb.

I see that a lot on 10 meter with newly licensed guys. It seems to be a common problem with "10 meter cb" tyoe radios. You will need to find a competent tech to align your tx and rcv frequenies. If it were me, I would start looking for a good used all-band hf rig. And welcome to ham radio, hope to work you one day.
Rich

i tryed to check in to a net with my prostar 400 on usb and they told me that i was way off frequency. i can here fine but when i tx thats when it goes wrong. am is fine just ssb.

Have you adjusted the clarifier while someone is transmitting until they sound natural (not too high or low pitched)? That radio should change the TX along with the RX when you adjust the clarifier. It seems odd that this would happen. Are you sure you aren't driving too much audio from a power mic maybe? Sometimes the effect of that can make it sound like you are off frequency, when it is in fact distorted.

But the other poster was correct, if somehow the TX and RX on that rig are not both spot on, you will need to get it aligned by a tech with the right bench equipment. Those little rigs are not that bad if they are tuned right.

Usually the USB is off frequency and the LSB is fine, the way they are adjusted at the factory. Since USB is the normal mode on ten meter then you need to get it adjusted. A good tech should get it done for you but that is not always an option.
I have adjusted mine by using a known transceiver for comparison and sometimes a station listening to hear the adjustments and help out. Check out the schematics on CB tricks and you can find the adjustment points. Be aware that the adjustment is done with a non metallic tool and only fine increments. Also there is only one reference crystal and as you adjust the USB the LSB will go out of adjustment a bit. As you pull the frequency to one side band it takes away for the other, AM and FM will not go to far out.
If you do not feel comfortable with this then by all means sent it to a tech!

BTW you can do CW with this radio even though it does not have the mode in it. Just key the mic PTT as you would a CW key in am mode, then on the other stations turn go to USB to hear his reply! :D I have done that and it works good! Just a bit of practice! No side tone? you can add a keyer chip with side tone injection.

73 and good luck Rod mechanic

those are nice lil rigs.until ya get it fixed use the back clarifer knob
the front one only does recieve..i have 1 with same problem .lsb on
mine is fine though.but usb i gotta turn back clarifer and leave
the fine at 12 oclock

those are nice lil rigs.until ya get it fixed use the back clarifer knob
the front one only does recieve..i have 1 with same problem .lsb on
mine is fine though.but usb i gotta turn back clarifer and leave
the fine at 12 oclock

Wait a sec....do these rigs REALLY have 2 clarifiers?!??? I had a Roadpro Titan II RSPY485 (which is supposed to be the same radio as the Prostar-400) and it only had 1 clarifier, and it tracked TX/RX. What's the deal?

Some radios have a fine and coarse tuning on them....usually the coarse will move both transmit and recieve and the fine will usually move the recieve only

but getting the radio aligned is a good idea.....most all CB type 10 meter radios do need a bit of tweaking to get them set as needed

Some radios have a fine and coarse tuning on them....usually the coarse will move both transmit and recieve and the fine will usually move the recieve only

but getting the radio aligned is a good idea.....most all CB type 10 meter radios do need a bit of tweaking to get them set as needed

None of that is news to me. It does not answer the question in this case, which is: Does the Prostar-400 have one or two clarifiers? :headbang

Then what you need is a patient operator on the other end to help you dial in your TX (coarse) clarifier. Have somebody with a radio known to be dead on freq have you move your coarse clarifier till you are right on them. Then move your fine to tune them in. That's it! Done! Now don't move that fine one at all--just tune to the other stations with the coarse one.

None of that is news to me. It does not answer the question in this case, which is: Does the Prostar-400 have one or two clarifiers? :headbang

it does have 2 clarifers.it also looks exactly like the magnum 257
i couldnt find any info on mine either so i just used the course clarifer
its unlocked anyway so all ya have to do is just tune to them and should
be pretty close.worked 4 me anyway.i still have mine

There is some info for that chassis on this site:

Amateur and CB Radio mods, add on boards, alignments, diagrams, manuals and repair

Go to the CB/Ham pages and click on radio modifications, then select the Albrecht 485. The pots should be the same. Basically, any info for the Dragon 485, Albrecht 485, Roadpro Titan II 485, or early models of the Magnum 257 should work for the Prostar-400. That was news to me that it had a dual clarifier---The Roadpro Titan II version of this rig only has the one, and it tracks TX/RX together.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.