• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need help!!!

Nov 18, 2016
i have a 95 explorer and my new mobile.i transferred everything over from my old van and now I have 9 s units of noise while driving.sitting at a idle radio is quiet as can be.a little background on my rig I got a galaxy dx959 lightly modded Wilson 5000 antenna on a magnet mount base..."no time to drill the hole yet"I'm not sure if it's a ground issue or alternator noise my stereo has alternator whine but my radio is all static truck has 251000 miles so if I'm overlooking something would rather fix a small problem than buy a alternator for a one foot in the grave truck but if I have too I will thanks In advance for all the advice!!!

Is the noise there when the truck is not running? Probably not. Ford is well known for having BAD RFI issues from their fuel pumps. Turn the radio ON and turn the ignition switch to the RUN position just before the START position. If you hear the noise for a couple seconds then it stops then it is the fuel pump spewing crap. usually an easy fix. The reason I suggest this is that it is easy to determine if it is the pump because nothing else like the alternator is running yet until you start it then there could be all sorts of causes.

Reactions: Tallman
Good chance that CK is right. Ford fuel pumps are incredibly noisy. The only fix I know is a ferrite choke placed AT the power plug on the pump itself. Ford had a fix for this, came up with it when police and fire departments found this noise causing trouble for their radios. They didn't do a "recall", but it was a dealer item. You had to ask for it, but it's probably too late for a truck that old.

Sure would be cool if someone put together a "plug and play" filter that attached directly to the pump. As I understand it, the pump motor's speed is regulated by a centrifugal weight with contact points on it. Produces a lot more noise than just the motor's brushes alone. The noise blanker in a radio just can't cope with it well enough to help. Any length of wire between the motor's power socket and the filter becomes a transmitting antenna for the RF noise energy. The closer the filter is to the pump's power plug, the better it works.

Good chance that CK is right. Ford fuel pumps are incredibly noisy. The only fix I know is a ferrite choke placed AT the power plug on the pump itself. Ford had a fix for this, came up with it when police and fire departments found this noise causing trouble for their radios. They didn't do a "recall", but it was a dealer item. You had to ask for it, but it's probably too late for a truck that old.

Sure would be cool if someone put together a "plug and play" filter that attached directly to the pump. As I understand it, the pump motor's speed is regulated by a centrifugal weight with contact points on it. Produces a lot more noise than just the motor's brushes alone. The noise blanker in a radio just can't cope with it well enough to help. Any length of wire between the motor's power socket and the filter becomes a transmitting antenna for the RF noise energy. The closer the filter is to the pump's power plug, the better it works.

I always had good luck with a 0.01uF capacitor soldered across the supply leads (not the lead from the sending unit) as close to the point where they enter the tank as possible.

Reactions: Mudduckmobile
I'll give the ferrite choke a shot never made one before I appreciate all the help will let yas know what happens lol.

Be sweet, if ALL fuel pump manufactures would include RFI suppression. Carquest Auto Parts used to sell a brand of pumps that had filtering. Can't remember the brand, but I called the company, IDK, 10 years or more. They indeed made them in response to Fords TSB's on the matter. Was an aftermarket fix.I suppose. I thought about slapping one in my Jeep XJ, but didn't.

Well today I walked around the truck with a handheld radio was quiet everywhere near the alternator interior etc until I got to the back of the fuel tank then the radio went nuts probably 9 s units of noise so I suppose I'll put a cap on it and a ferrite choke and take it from there.

Will also get the alternator rebuilt in near future being as it has 250000 on it.as for smdrilling the hole working rotating swing shift right now so times a factor want to get the ball mount on before spring so I can install my messenger m4v!

Usually, fuel pump noise will be a loud whine, but won't show a huge S-meter reading. My pump noise is negligible on SSB, but little harsh on AM. Regardless, seems like your issues will be easy to track down and fix.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.